Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:58 PM

19 posts, read 24,133 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this forum for over 2 months now and have gotten a lot of mixed reviews on places to live. My fiance and I are moving from the suburbs of Dallas (flower mound) to Indianapolis and would like some advice. We are going to buy a home with a budget of 250k, although we would love to spend less than 200k. We are big foodies and what we are hearing is Indianapolis is mainly all chain restaurants, which scares us. We both grew up in the suburbs and are living in a suburb now, but that doesn't mean we won't consider neighborhoods in Indy. We are both in our early 30s, well educated and have professional careers, and have zero desire to ever have kids.

Here is what we like/want:
-A home with a yard for our 2 big dogs. We live in a 1700 sq ft house now, are planning on going 2000-2500 sq ft with this purchase).
-Places nearby to go eat at (that are not just chilis, applebees, buffalo wild wings, etc.),
-prefer neighbors that are hopefully similar to us (not just all families).
-would love a neighborhood that has a dog park to take our pups too, although driving 10 min isnt a huge deal.
-We are not late night people, but if we work till 8 or 9 would like the opportunity to still be able to grab a late dinner without having to resort to fast food nearby.

I am a teacher and am looking to find a position in a suburban school district (hopefully zionsville, carmel, or hamilton southeast), she works for a big hotel in the heart of downtown. She would like to commute no more than 20-25 min to work.

We hear from people on this board and at her work that Carmel is king, but is it going to be all families? Is Carmel a reasonable commute? Basically if you were in our situation what areas would you be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,555,944 times
Broad Ripple.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 PM

271 posts, read 459,855 times
Greenwood might work, it may have a lot of chain restaurants but theres plenty of unique ethnic restaurants.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,874,421 times
There are plenty of DINKS in Carmel, especially with pets.

Carmel is building several bark parks and there are parks and trails that are very popular for walking dogs.

I can recommend a wonderful vet in downtown Carmel.

Carmel is a very pet friendly place to live. Children not required.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,160,138 times
2000-2500 sq ft you are looking at a subdivision cookie cutter in hamilton county. If you want to work north, so downtown and amenities meridian-kessler or the neighborhood east of broad ripple would be good. With the size of home you are wanting, old northside, chatham arch and holy cross should have some nice older homes that fit and close to everything. Indy is downtown centric so the bulk of amenities in the metro are downtown and those neighborhoods border or within downtown borders. Holy cross you would want to stay close to angies list as gentrification hasnt reached its namesake church yet. All things considered from mickey d's to the top steak houses downtown is 21% chains. The rest are mom and pops and you also have adjacent fountain square which is up to another 44 establishments approx. to choose from. A realtor would do wonders for you and im sure our resident realtor would be more than happy to assist anf if not, i have an excellent recommendation if you would like it.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,282,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
Greenwood might work, it may have a lot of chain restaurants but theres plenty of unique ethnic restaurants.
Greenwood would be a very long commute if he gets a teaching job in one of the north suburbs, though. Considering Avon is a 45 minute commute to Carmel, Greewood would probably be at least an hour in rush hour traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
2000-2500 sq ft you are looking at a subdivision cookie cutter in hamilton county. If you want to work north, so downtown and amenities meridian-kessler or the neighborhood east of broad ripple would be good. With the size of home you are wanting, old northside, chatham arch and holy cross should have some nice older homes that fit and close to everything. Indy is downtown centric so the bulk of amenities in the metro are downtown and those neighborhoods border or within downtown borders. Holy cross you would want to stay close to angies list as gentrification hasnt reached its namesake church yet. All things considered from mickey d's to the top steak houses downtown is 21% chains. The rest are mom and pops and you also have adjacent fountain square which is up to another 44 establishments approx. to choose from. A realtor would do wonders for you and im sure our resident realtor would be more than happy to assist anf if not, i have an excellent recommendation if you would like it.
This is some good information. Meridian-Kessler, Broad Ripple, that area would put you about halfway between downtown and the north suburbs.

And a note about chains, people that tell you Indy is all chains are people that don't actively seek out non-chain restaurants. Some of the most popular restaurants in Indy are locally owned. I've lived in the Indy area for 5 years and have friends that come from my hometown to visit for the weekend occasionally. We always go to places that are unique in Indiana to Indy and I have yet to take them to the same place twice.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,780,530 times
I vote Meridian Kessler.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,874,421 times
If you are planning to work north my suggestion would be that you take a weekend and visit Carmel and Westfield. I think you will like the parks, trails, shopping and restaurants. Carmel especially has a vibrant downtown with many unique shops, restaurants and a nice after hours atmosphere.

We can all make our recommendations but you should visit these areas to take in the atmosphere and feel of each to see which you like.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:19 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,160,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
If you are planning to work north my suggestion would be that you take a weekend and visit Carmel and Westfield. I think you will like the parks, trails, shopping and restaurants. Carmel especially has a vibrant downtown with many unique shops, restaurants and a nice after hours atmosphere.

We can all make our recommendations but you should visit these areas to take in the atmosphere and feel of each to see which you like.
Spouse works downtown and sounds like they r wanting a more urban environment that just doesn't exist in hamilton county.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 AM

19 posts, read 24,133 times
I wouldn't say we want an urban enviornment, just a place that has DINKS like us (I love that term) and unique and exciting dining opportunities. So broad ripple,meridian kessler, carmel, westlake. Should I include Butler Tarkington? SoBro? What about Nova or Castleton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis