Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:08 PM

252 posts, read 349,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Why don't we have a Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops or IKEA in Indianapolis?

There isn't an IKEA in the entire state of Indiana. Ohio has one, Illinois has two, California has EIGHT, and 20 other states have at least one.

I think Carmel would be a great location for IKEA.
I don't get what the big deal about IKEA is. You do know that Sauder makes a lot of their furniture, don't you? Sauder, the same put together furniture you see at Kmart.

They say IKEA is cheap. I bought two Sauder bookcases for 19.99 each at Value City a few years before they went under. Now that's cheap. IKEA may be cheap compared to real furniture, but it's not cheap.

One thing working against Indy when it comes to IKEA? No major university in town. Columbus is getting one and they are scouting Cleveland locations as we speak. But sooner or later they'll come to Indy. There are only so many places to put stores and Indy is one of them.

Indy will also get a Cabela's. Columbus has one, and Cabela's is a midwestern company so I'm sure Indy is on their radar.

Field & Stream is the Dick's Sporting Goods version of Cabela's. Maybe you'll get one of those too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
ValueCity and just about every other furniture stores in Indy sells crap - cheap or otherwise, IKEA products are anything but cheap or crap, and obviously you've never owned one.
I have an IKEA bookcase. It is crap but it wasn't cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid1 View Post
The construction currently going on is a "Marketplace" Kroger.

Yes, I realize that Kroger is directly across the street already. I don't know what they are thinking or planning.
The existing Kroger store will close. Marketplace doesn't do much for me, but they seem to be successful as Kroger is rolling them out in all of their markets. Their first Marketplace stores were out west, I think Fry's Marketplace in Arizona. The first Kroger Marketplace stores were in Columbus, then Cincinnati.

I think they try to locate Marketplace in locations that are somewhat removed from a Meijer, Target or Walmart.

Last edited by WheresTheBeef; 03-13-2015 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
When they announced that they were opening a store in Cincy a few years ago, it didn't surprise me one bit--lots and LOTS of other cities a close drive from the Queen City (Indy, Louisville, Dayton, Lexington, Columbus).
People aren't going to drive two hours to Cincinnati on regular basis to buy put-together furniture. What people forget is that only 20 miles separates Hamilton County (Cincinnati) and Montgomery County (Dayton). Cincinnati and Dayton taken together is a Top-20 metro area and Ikea is located practically right in the middle of the two metros. I'm surprised they picked Columbus before Cleveland/Akron/Canton, which is slightly larger than Cincinnati/Dayton.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
One thing working against Indy when it comes to IKEA? No major university in town. Columbus is getting one and they are scouting Cleveland locations as we speak.
The biggest university in Cleveland is smaller than the biggest university in Indianapolis.

Quote:
Indy will also get a Cabela's. Columbus has one, and Cabela's is a midwestern company so I'm sure Indy is on their radar.
They are already building a Cabela's north of Indy in Noblesville.

Quote:
I have an IKEA bookcase. It is crap but it wasn't cheap.
I too have an IKEA bookcase. It is not crap.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The biggest university in Cleveland is smaller than the biggest university in Indianapolis.
Cleveland State, Case Western, John Carroll, Baldwin Wallace, Oberlin, Medical College of Ohio, Kent State and the University of Akron are all a stone's throw away. West Lafayette and Bloomington are much further away from Indy.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Cleveland State, Case Western, John Carroll, Baldwin Wallace, Oberlin, Medical College of Ohio, Kent State and the University of Akron are all a stone's throw away. West Lafayette and Bloomington are much further away from Indy.
IUPUI, Butler, UIndy, Anderson, Ball State, Marian, Franklin College, DePauw, Wabash; then the two B1G schools that are just a bit further away at around 20 miles more. I suspect the two B1G schools are close enough that IKEA would pull from them. Definitely not as far away as you are implying.

Medical College of Ohio is not a thing anymore.

I am going to go on record of saying; I don't think any of this matters. If Cleveland gets an IKEA before Indianapolis, it won't be because Akron and Kent State are closer to Cleveland than IU and Purdue are too Indianapolis.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:26 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,767 times
Let's see here... It appears Ikea is hesitant to go in CSAs around the 2 million mark. I believe if KC, St. Louis, or Columbus can support one, Indy can also. Cleveland and Indy must be next in line in the Midwest.

IKEA?
Charlotte 2.5 million: YES
Sacramento 2.5 million: YES
Kansas City 2.4 million: YES
Salt Lake City 2.4 million: YES
Columbus 2.3 million: YES (being built)
Indianapolis 2.3 million: NO
Las Vegas 2.3 million: YES
Cincinnati 2.2 million (Dayton 1.1 million): YES
Milwaukee 2.0 million: NO
Raleigh 2.0 million: NO
Nashville 1.9 million: NO

Old 11-09-2015, 10:37 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Man, that was quick! I was gonna post the news too, but you beat me too it! And you posted at the exact same time that the "Move to Indy" page posted as well!

Ikea Indy

Old 11-10-2015, 05:04 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Yay! I always knew Fishers or Noblesville would be a great market for IKEA. So much for the naysayers......

Old 11-10-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
And you posted at the exact same time that the "Move to Indy" page posted as well!

Ikea Indy
What an odd coincidence

Old 11-10-2015, 06:26 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Curious where this is going to go. I have to guess Exit 210 on 69. I just can't see them wanting to be anywhere but on the interstate. Will it go along 136th St leading to IU Hospital? Considering the fuss area residents are putting up over a possible community sports center along that road I doubt they'd welcome an Ikea. Or maybe the other side of St. Vincent Hospital? My only other guess would be next to Navient at 116th and USA Pkwy. That could explain the realigning of USA Pkwy and the added travel lane from I-69 to there. But would they want to be somewhere without other retail around? Guess we'll find out at 10:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis