Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM

23 posts, read 54,980 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some feedback on the southside of Indy areas like Center Grove and Greenwood, or even Perry Township. Anything on how the school systems compare, nice areas in those communities to live, etc.

I have heard that the Center Grove school district is the top rated public one on the southside of Indy?

What can everyone tell me about these areas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 06:37 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,054 times
It's been awhile since I've poked my head in over here, but we always used to get questions on this all the time.

Of the three you listed, Center Grove is almost definitely the best--a very good district. Greenwood is also quite good--maybe not quite as highly rated as Center Grove, but not different enough that you would really be able to notice.

Perry Township definitely doesn't rate as highly, but it still has plenty of good programs and is certainly going to be much more diverse. It has a sizable immigrant population, whereas the other two don't. Educating a large foreign-born community is always harder, and it's going to show for itself in the ratings and test results. But, in addition to all those immigrants, Perry still has a sizable middle class who are committed to their children's educations. I think Perry would offer a richer educational experience, but of course I'm biased: I went there back in the day (back when it was a lot less diverse). Some of the elementary schools in Perry are great; others are definitely more troubled. Of the two high schools, the average income levels that feed into Perry Meridian are probably a bit higher than the ones that feed into Southport, but Southport in recent years has still had slightly better test scores.

If sports are a big deal to you, I know that Center Grove ranks up with Carmel for being ridiculously competitive. That could be a great thing, but not if your kid isn't a stellar performer in his/her sport of choice--it would mean that he or she will probably never make varsity and might not make the final cut.

Finally, if you're interested in "character" (whatever that means), you probably won't get a whole lot of what most people think of in Center Grove. Most of the housing developments are from the 1980s or newer, and since the area is unincorporated (at least right now--they've talked of incorporating as the Town of Center Grove) there aren't so many public services: not a lot of sidewalks, not as many street lights, etc. Still almost a little rural outside of the S.R. 135 commercial corridor. Greenwood has an old walkable town center and has been investing heavily in greenways/trails/sidewalks in recent years, so things are better there. It also has a few bus routes to downtown Indy. Perry isn't great for sidewalks and that type of thing either, since most of it became part of Indy during Unigov and was unincorporated before...and Indianapolis public works money is spread more thinly across the much bigger city. But the area around Southport High (Homecroft neighborhood) is pretty walkable and has beautiful older homes. Other parts of Perry also have nice older homes that are well maintained and built to last. All three districts have some of the vinyl villages too, but you'll be able to spot those as soon as you glance at them.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 AM

212 posts, read 615,169 times
^^^ Well said. I live in Perry Township. My son starts kindergarten at Rosa Parks Edison in August. I have heard nothing but good things.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
As a native Southsider and alumni of Perry Meridian, I can attest to what was said being the case.

While it has been a number of years since I have lived there, the areas described are amazingly stable, and despite development over the years, have changed very little.

Center Grove has always been a bit more upscale, but being unincorporated creates a whole bunch of issues as they relate to things like infrastructure.

Greenwood has definitely moved up and done a lot to improve over the years, too.

You won't go wrong in any of these areas - you just need to determine what aspect is most important and decide based on that or a combination of things.

RM

Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 AM

28 posts, read 66,941 times
Center Grove is going to be the strongest school district. There will be a certain amount of "keeping up with the Jones" if that bothers you. But I've seen worse. Our kids go to Our Lady of Greenwood, which is a wonderful school, though I realize private school is not an option for everyone. To be honest there isn't a public school in the metro area I would feel comfortable sending my kids to. But I'm not originally from Indiana, so my perspective is different.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM

218 posts, read 462,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawkfan96 View Post
Center Grove is going to be the strongest school district. There will be a certain amount of "keeping up with the Jones" if that bothers you. But I've seen worse. Our kids go to Our Lady of Greenwood, which is a wonderful school, though I realize private school is not an option for everyone. To be honest there isn't a public school in the metro area I would feel comfortable sending my kids to. But I'm not originally from Indiana, so my perspective is different.

Interesting. Obviously you can say what you want on this forum, but that does come across as incredibly highfalutin' to say "there isn't a public school in the metro area I would feel comfortable sending my kids to." Your call, of course, but most statistics suggest Carmel schools train their high-achieving students so that they are very well-prepared to go to some of the country's best schools. Center Grove leaves them well prepared for good schools across the Midwest, with one or two high achievers going to something super-prestigious.

Your call. But in the past I've heard you sing the praises of the school districts in the KCMO suburbs (Kansas side of course). Having lived there before, I can't think of an environment that screams "keeping up with the Joneses" more than Overland Park and so forth...at least, nowhere else in the Midwest, except maybe parts of Chicago, but even that's a close call.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 AM

144 posts, read 342,241 times
I see your post is back from early summer, but in the case you are still researching I will add my two cents.

Really the main reason I can see for living in any of the areas you are looking at is going to be the school system. If you live in Center Grove you won't have as many city services, PD is county sheriff, but you are still basically living within Greenwood. Your access to any of the shopping etc. that Greenwood offers is going to be as quick as any resident of Greenwood, maybe an extra 5 minutes depending on where you are at. Your commute to downtown offices is going to be the same.

As far as schools go Center Grove is pretty much the gold standard for public schools on the south side, at least they were 3 years ago when I moved away. Greenwood isn't the worst school system and had I been living in Greenwood district I would have been ok with sending my sons to Greenwood compared to say Perry or Decatur. Head into Whiteland or Franklin and the school systems aren't as good as Greenwood, but not anywhere near as bad as IPS. Franklin Township is about the same as Perry. If you have the means the Private school systems on the south side are pretty good, if memory serves me the Catholic High School, Roncalli, used to be a Blue Ribbon school. But if public is where you want your kids to go then Center Grove is where I would send my kids if I had to move back to that area.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:34 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoelfe View Post
I see your post is back from early summer, but in the case you are still researching I will add my two cents.

Really the main reason I can see for living in any of the areas you are looking at is going to be the school system. If you live in Center Grove you won't have as many city services, PD is county sheriff, but you are still basically living within Greenwood. Your access to any of the shopping etc. that Greenwood offers is going to be as quick as any resident of Greenwood, maybe an extra 5 minutes depending on where you are at. Your commute to downtown offices is going to be the same.

As far as schools go Center Grove is pretty much the gold standard for public schools on the south side, at least they were 3 years ago when I moved away. Greenwood isn't the worst school system and had I been living in Greenwood district I would have been ok with sending my sons to Greenwood compared to say Perry or Decatur. Head into Whiteland or Franklin and the school systems aren't as good as Greenwood, but not anywhere near as bad as IPS. Franklin Township is about the same as Perry. If you have the means the Private school systems on the south side are pretty good, if memory serves me the Catholic High School, Roncalli, used to be a Blue Ribbon school. But if public is where you want your kids to go then Center Grove is where I would send my kids if I had to move back to that area.
No, the commute is not the same coming from Greenwood city and the area that encompasses the Center Grove school system especially if you are further south as White River Township southern border is a mile south of Whiteland Road. I'm 10 minutes from 65 almost exactly (until the Worthsville Rd exit is built) and a block east of the Honey Creek (WRT Eastern Border) on the Clark-Pleasant side. It's not the same as being in Greenwood.

As far as school districts, don't know about Franklin, but Greenwood and Clarke-Pleasant are about the same. Franklin Township is better than Perry (I've had kids in both districts).

Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
No, the commute is not the same coming from Greenwood city and the area that encompasses the Center Grove school system especially if you are further south as White River Township southern border is a mile south of Whiteland Road. I'm 10 minutes from 65 almost exactly (until the Worthsville Rd exit is built) and a block east of the Honey Creek (WRT Eastern Border) on the Clark-Pleasant side. It's not the same as being in Greenwood.

As far as school districts, don't know about Franklin, but Greenwood and Clarke-Pleasant are about the same. Franklin Township is better than Perry (I've had kids in both districts).
It really depends upon where you are in WRT. Some parts (especially south, as you mentioned) are a longer haul into DT than Greenwood. However, some parts (NW corner near 37 and Bluff Rd.) are actually quicker into the city.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 AM

144 posts, read 342,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post

Having made the trip downtown for 4 years of my life from near the Main and 31 intersection aswell as from Morgantown and Smith Valley I can say it is about the same. If the only way to get downtown was I65 then you would be right, but you can take Bluff Rd. I was heading to the IUPUI campus so for me it made sense to head up Bluff Rd. If I headed over to I65 it sure would have added 10 to 15 minutes to my commute, but I never did I just used city streets. So for me it was within 5 minutes of my commute when I lived in Greenwood city limits.

As far as schools I apologize for lumping FT in with PT schools, but I think we can both agree Center Grove is the most desirable area to live based on school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis