Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:53 PM

100 posts, read 236,985 times

Advertisements

I'm not asking about test scores and stuff but which is favored when they are put head to head and why you feel that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 02:23 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
North Central has a better academic reputation. They accept out of district students willing to pay to go there. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of what district's students pay to go to NC.

I've heard of people who live in Pike and give a NC district address of a relative so their kids can go to NC schools.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,443 times
I had to do some research on Pike Township Schools for a personal court case. What I found was worse than I expected to find. One, they have their own police force. Two, they have very low graduation rate. Three, the high school is insanely over crowded, and four, and most important, the police reports out of that school were terrifying for a parent. Sexual assaults on down. When I worked the district myself, we would have at least one after football game "mini riot" about every other year...weapons, gun fire the whole nine yards. And don't think their charter schools are better. The worse sexual assault I found was at a Pike charter school. The court case was approximately six years ago.

So my answer is North Central.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:56 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 722,803 times
North Central, easy.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:07 PM

198 posts, read 910,311 times
I went to NC....class of 94. Pike was our old rivals....but there is no comparison. NC for sure.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:26 PM

63 posts, read 391,470 times
NC is a better school - it really is

Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,562 times
Default PHS, reality vs "research"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
I had to do some research on Pike Township Schools for a personal court case. What I found was worse than I expected to find. One, they have their own police force. Two, they have very low graduation rate. Three, the high school is insanely over crowded, and four, and most important, the police reports out of that school were terrifying for a parent. Sexual assaults on down. When I worked the district myself, we would have at least one after football game "mini riot" about every other year...weapons, gun fire the whole nine yards. And don't think their charter schools are better. The worse sexual assault I found was at a Pike charter school. The court case was approximately six years ago.

So my answer is North Central.
While I wouldn't say that Pike doesn't have its problems, some serious, it's not nearly as bad as that. Yes there are problems ON OCCASION (fist fights mostly), but I can't recall there ever being gunfire, and haven't heard of any cases of sexual assault since my kids have gone there beyond the garbage women have had to tolerate, in school and out, for years. (Pats on the rear, etc.) The only "riot" I know of was instigated by another school group, not Pike. Pike is a very large HS which draws its students from many different ethnic, racial, and economic groups. There are going to be problems, let's face it.

To my mind the police force is there to prevent occurences of violence, etc., and gives me some peace of mind. The school has been incredible about keeping parents informed if anything bad does happen which is more than I can say about most schools. I know of other Indianapolis area schools who choose to ignore the problems instead of address them.

Both of my children went or go to Pike. My son graduated in 2006, but my daughter will be a senior this year. My son graduated 20th in his class and my daughter is currently 9th. They have gotten an excellent education from Pike, BUT they are good students and have friends who are like minded, good students. That is what is the most important thing. It is not the school as much as the student and the friends he/she chooses. You can always find trouble if you want it. My son has told me that he has been far more prepared for college than almost all of his friends, doesn't that say something?

I'm sure North Central is a good school, possibly "better" than Pike, I can't really say. I simply would say that Pike's not the hotbed of violence that some would have us believe. Is there violence. Yes. Is the administration doing everything in its power to stop it. Definitely YES. Personally, I'm glad I don't have younger children because I think the primary and secondary school systems are going downhill everywhere anyway. Sorry, I doubt this was helpful for DataEast, but I just wanted to give the other side of Pike an airing.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlab View Post
While I wouldn't say that Pike doesn't have its problems, some serious, it's not nearly as bad as that. Yes there are problems ON OCCASION (fist fights mostly), but I can't recall there ever being gunfire, and haven't heard of any cases of sexual assault since my kids have gone there beyond the garbage women have had to tolerate, in school and out, for years. (Pats on the rear, etc.) The only "riot" I know of was instigated by another school group, not Pike. Pike is a very large HS which draws its students from many different ethnic, racial, and economic groups. There are going to be problems, let's face it.

To my mind the police force is there to prevent occurences of violence, etc., and gives me some peace of mind. The school has been incredible about keeping parents informed if anything bad does happen which is more than I can say about most schools. I know of other Indianapolis area schools who choose to ignore the problems instead of address them.

Both of my children went or go to Pike. My son graduated in 2006, but my daughter will be a senior this year. My son graduated 20th in his class and my daughter is currently 9th. They have gotten an excellent education from Pike, BUT they are good students and have friends who are like minded, good students. That is what is the most important thing. It is not the school as much as the student and the friends he/she chooses. You can always find trouble if you want it. My son has told me that he has been far more prepared for college than almost all of his friends, doesn't that say something?

I'm sure North Central is a good school, possibly "better" than Pike, I can't really say. I simply would say that Pike's not the hotbed of violence that some would have us believe. Is there violence. Yes. Is the administration doing everything in its power to stop it. Definitely YES. Personally, I'm glad I don't have younger children because I think the primary and secondary school systems are going downhill everywhere anyway. Sorry, I doubt this was helpful for DataEast, but I just wanted to give the other side of Pike an airing.
As a fellow parent...Your children's success at Pike has just as much to say about you obviously being a great parent and your children not being wrongly influenced by certain peers. Great parents make great kids despite weak school districts. I applaud you.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,348 times
Default Pike High Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlab View Post

Dear parent,

There is a world within the school, you or any non-student doesn't see. Drugs, Sex and Violence or even a mix of all three at once are very prevalent. Most parents or faculty don't even know about it, some take part in it. You can continue to live in illusion, but for me...I know. Your good kids are not as good as you would think. Heheheh! I knew plenty of "good" kids. It's just the day and age.

SpiderMetzger - 2001 Pike High Alumni

Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM

13 posts, read 48,787 times
Default North Central hands down!!

North Central High School is located in Washington Township which the most affluent of the Marion County/Indianapolis Metro townships. It's affluence is only rivaled by that of Hamilton County with Carmel and Fishers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis