Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2006, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 15,742 times

Advertisements

Hi. There is a very good possibility that I will be relocating to the Louisville area after this upcoming school year. I have been doing some online research of the local school districts. Can you give me some pointers on relocation, certification requirements, where to live, where to teach? I'm not sure if all of the schools down there offer Music Education in the elementary. I appreciate any help as this would be a MAJOR life change for me

I say that this is a "major" life change because I have been here for 16 years and have developed great friendships and connections. I do not relish the idea of starting over again. I would hate to have to leave but may have to make the decision to do so based on a promotion opportunity for my other half (which would require us to relocate).

I am currently in my 16th year of teaching K-6th Grade General and Vocal Music in one of the largest public school districts in Ohio. However, it is nowhere close to the size of JCPS. But, as I have read, that district is divided into clusters so I think it wouldn't feel so big. The size of the district is actually not a concern of mine.

I'm looking at housing that is @ $200,000. I would prefer a suburb and a lot that is at least 3 acres or so...trees...a pond.... I would need to be located within a 30-or-so minute drive from the Kentucky airport. I am not picky about old or new housing but I do prefer a house with some character.

I have enjoyed teaching inner city children for 16 years and I think I would like to continue. However, children are children and I can teach them all. As they say, "It's all good!" I enjoy teaching general music, but my main love is directing choirs. My choirs last year consisted of Pre-K to 3rd (75 kids) and 4th-6th (25 kids). The younger choir is especially rewarding to me. Although I am not Montessori trained, I did teach n a Montessori school for 14 years as the General/Vocal teacher. I really enjoy young kids and am specifically interested in working with Primary-aged students.

My district is on a modified year-round schedule. School starts for the kids in early August. Then, we get two week breaks in the fall, at Christmas and around Easter time. The summer break ends up being about 8 weeks. I do like this schedule and wouldn't mind finding a school with a similar setup.

In addion to all of this, I am an entertainer and am currently booked around this area. I get the feeling that the Louisville area will offer me much more in terms of singing opportunities. That is a definite plus. In fact, if the opportunity presented itself to me, I would definitely hang up the teaching cap to perform for a living! Of course, I'd have to direct a children's choir or two on the side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 08:49 AM

6 posts, read 15,742 times
Cool No responses yet???

I'm wondering why I haven't gotten any responses yet? Is it because I said "Louisville"? But, I did say, "Louisville AREA." I did that on purpose because I could actually live AND work in Indiana and yet still be about 1/2 hour from the airport...right? I could use some advice if anyone would care to reply. Thanks

Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 PM

246 posts, read 1,058,697 times
Default highliner

If you come to Louisville, try the neighborhoods/cities located on Frankfort avenue/ Shelbyville road (us 60). They are the best middle class areas in Jefferson county. For gosh sakes, stay out of that pigpen known as Portland! Overall, however, the Louisville area is quite pretty and pleasant, possibly the best of the 20 or so cities in which I've lived AND worked. I hope that you'll love it as much as I did!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:27 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,788,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Music Teacher View Post
Hi. There is a very good possibility that I will be relocating to the Louisville area after this upcoming school year. I have been doing some online research of the local school districts. Can you give me some pointers on relocation, certification requirements, where to live, where to teach? I'm not sure if all of the schools down there offer Music Education in the elementary. I appreciate any help as this would be a MAJOR life change for me

I say that this is a "major" life change because I have been here for 16 years and have developed great friendships and connections. I do not relish the idea of starting over again. I would hate to have to leave but may have to make the decision to do so based on a promotion opportunity for my other half (which would require us to relocate).

I am currently in my 16th year of teaching K-6th Grade General and Vocal Music in one of the largest public school districts in Ohio. However, it is nowhere close to the size of JCPS. But, as I have read, that district is divided into clusters so I think it wouldn't feel so big. The size of the district is actually not a concern of mine.

I'm looking at housing that is @ $200,000. I would prefer a suburb and a lot that is at least 3 acres or so...trees...a pond.... I would need to be located within a 30-or-so minute drive from the Kentucky airport. I am not picky about old or new housing but I do prefer a house with some character.

I have enjoyed teaching inner city children for 16 years and I think I would like to continue. However, children are children and I can teach them all. As they say, "It's all good!" I enjoy teaching general music, but my main love is directing choirs. My choirs last year consisted of Pre-K to 3rd (75 kids) and 4th-6th (25 kids). The younger choir is especially rewarding to me. Although I am not Montessori trained, I did teach n a Montessori school for 14 years as the General/Vocal teacher. I really enjoy young kids and am specifically interested in working with Primary-aged students.

My district is on a modified year-round schedule. School starts for the kids in early August. Then, we get two week breaks in the fall, at Christmas and around Easter time. The summer break ends up being about 8 weeks. I do like this schedule and wouldn't mind finding a school with a similar setup.

In addion to all of this, I am an entertainer and am currently booked around this area. I get the feeling that the Louisville area will offer me much more in terms of singing opportunities. That is a definite plus. In fact, if the opportunity presented itself to me, I would definitely hang up the teaching cap to perform for a living! Of course, I'd have to direct a children's choir or two on the side
Some folks on here have been saying that Floyds Knobs is a very nice area. Have you tried posting in the Kentucky board? Couldn't hurt.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 27,766 times
Default Singing Teacher Needed

Hi.... Did you move to Louisville, Ky? If so, what area did you end up findng a home? I truly enjoyed reading your posting and I just came across is when I was looking for a private singing music teacher for my little granddaughter that is 6yrs old and 1st grade.... she wants to take lessons to learn how to sing.... do you take on this type of job on the side privately? Please let me know, and if so please send more information on what you offer in this field, ie,,, cost, teaching time, location... thank you so much!
Donna Campbell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: