Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 PM

54 posts, read 99,282 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I both grew up in Louisville. I've moved around quite a bit, he has moved once (our first house). We both love the country and HATE the city. We want land. We're being realistic and believe we can get anywhere from 5-20 acres on our budget (paltry!)

We're willing to commute within an hour of Louisville in "Southern Indiana" and even further for the right home. We do not want to move again.

We have a young child (almost 2 yrs old).

We LIKE the small town atmospheres and don't need nightlife, Walmart, etc to live.

We love Hardinsburg, Fredericksburg and areas near them. We have no idea about Scottsburg, Lexington, Hanover. I've heard too many horror stories about Salem. We wonder if Madison is too far to commute...

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,054 times
Interesting situation you're in. Many of those are VERY small towns you are talking about, to the point that you may have to drive to a bigger place to find a full supermarket. I can't help you so much with those.

As for Salem, it's supposed to be a charming town center, but a very weak economy. Scottsburg and Scott county aren't known for being particularly prosperous either, though it's likely to change as it becomes a more popular bedroom community for people willing to deal with the commute.

Charlestown in Clark County might be worth considering, though it appears the poverty rate is unusually high.

Madison is one of the most beautiful small towns in America but it would be quite a long commute--it's more popular as a weekend retreat for Louisvillians than anything.

Have you thought about Seymour? Perhaps it's too large, but it has a good reputation and would have a lot more to offer in terms of shopping and services than the extreme small towns.

You might also consider Vernon or North Vernon in Jennings County. Batesville in Ripley County has an excellent reputation as well, though the drive would be pretty far (probably a bit closer to Cincinnati than Louisville).

Hope this could be of at least some help. If you can get more specific, maybe I could find out a bit more...

Old 09-10-2009, 12:58 PM

111 posts, read 345,969 times
How the Corydon area? I know it has a full grocery store. It's small but still not too far of a commute to Louisville. You're also close to the Hoosier National Forest.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
Corydon and Harrison County would be nice. There is also Elizabeth and scenic Milltown on the Blue River.

Suprisingly rural and scenic yet quite close to Louisville.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Corydon and Milltown are those we are considering.

I've always find it interesting the points which people find necessary in a town to be considered worth anything. If I have to drive 30-45 mins for food, it doesn't bother me. If I have to drive 30-45 mins for food AND there are drugs running rampant, THAT bothers me.

We WANT areas that are within an hour of downtown Louisville bc that's where my husband works. I am self employed with a mostly Internet based business, so it doesn't really matter where we live for my job. Therefore, jobs in a small town are nothing for consideration of the town itself. Nor is a grocery, Walmart, etc. The atmosphere of the town is the most important factor-along with a decent piece of property.

For the record, we actually considered a property in Montana... the population was 10. No kidding. The post office was INSIDE the house we found for sale up there. So, town size does not bother us! In fact, the smaller the town, the happier we'll be. Rural/remote/off the grid, however you put it..........as long as the drive is within an hour of downtown Louisville and the drugs aren't running rampant.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:11 PM

91 posts, read 316,237 times
chele11,
Columbus is only 70 miles from Louisville. Seymour is a little less. Both of these are nice quaint towns and very family friendly.

Good Luck on your decision making.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:34 PM

111 posts, read 345,969 times
Hmm.. a small town in southern Indiana without rampant drug presence... that's a tough order to fill.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:25 PM

We are about to put an offer on a house in Hardinsburg (Orange County, not Washington-not sure how that works exactly!). Wish us luck!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,411 times
You'll like Orange County. I'm from Paoli, so if you have any specific questions feel free to send me a direct message. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM

Ah, UGH! Instead of buying the house of our dreams, we're renting a much smaller house in town, BUT, at least we're moving!! :-)

We're all very excited and will be pulling into town on the 5th of June. Anyone wanna come 'n greet us, we'll be the city folks wrestlin' with a Uhaul near Country something or other apartments in Paoli. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana