Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,929 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Southwestern section of Indiana,SE of Terre Haute,nearly all my 58 years.As for the Indaina winters,no worse than what I've seen on weather forcasts for NY.I have never been to NY or the Eastern Seaboard.
The "old saying" for Indaina is;
"If you don't like the weather,wait a minute,it WILL change."
Winter weather tends to be "worse" above I-70.Meteoroligists don't know why.Our summers are tending to be hotter & more humid and starting earlier,going,sometimes,from Winter right to Summer.As for today,97% humidity.It is suppose to be cooler later in the week.
Having lived in Indianapolis,for a short period,as a child,give me Southern Indiana,anytime.The area I live in is called "The land of a Thousand Lakes",having been strip mined many years ago.Now the land is acclimated back to it's original state,or,better.
There are many large homes in small towns and rural areas as these are some of the oldest cities & towns in the state.The schools in this area have not tested well this year for ISTEP but are on precautionary standby.They MUST improve.Having grown children,whom do not live in the area,I only know what the news says about this.
As for real estate,itself,I can only say what I know about my own home.It HAS appreciated over the past 11 yrs..slowly,as new homes have been built around us.I watch to see how long homes are on the market.It varies widely in our area.It depends on what people are looking for and price.That's the bottom line.I have new friends whom have moved here from Southern Ca. who think property is a steal here.We're in the "corn belt".Everything is different here.I don't think one could compare this area with NYC or any other large city.Not enough comparables.
If you want a slower,calmer life,this is the place to be.
I am sure you could find satisfaction here,if that is what you're looking for.
Happy Hunting...more ways than one around here!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 01:08 PM

47 posts, read 162,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG ISLANDERS View Post
We are interested in moving to Indiana, but we are concerned about the winters. Are they similar or worse than New Yorks? I am a mailman and can't stand working in New York cold anymore. Don't want to go down south because half the country is either going down there or already down there. How is the real estate? Looking for atleast 5 bedrooms. How are the schools? If anyone can give any information about the state or any part of the state that would be great.
Real Estate in Peru is real cheap.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:52 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
My husband is a allergy sufferer. When we lived in Michigan he had to get weekly allergy shots. We are still in the process of finding a allergy doc for him so he can start his shots again but he is not suffering the mind blowing headaches he had back in Michigan. From what I have noticed and where I am (South Bend area) the rentals here are kind of dumpy. We are renting a house right now and it has tons of issues. We were looking to rent another year and after looking at many rentals in our price range, we would get the same thing. A dumpy old house. Its cheaper to buy a home here than rent. In my experience I havent seen an huge problem with mold at all. It does rain here a lot so if the landlord doesnt keep up the roof etc, then I can see mold growing pretty fast. The winters here do seem pretty brutal and right now there is a state of emergency because of the cold temps. My son has been off school for two days now. I personally think he loves it. What thing that drives me bonkers is in our area, no one shovels their sidewalks! Even the school!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:37 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
You want mold? Come to WA state. I'll show you mold in places you'd hardly imagine!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 10,161 times
ya hi i am new here and me and my famly would like to move there what is the jobs and houseing like any help well be good thanks.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:30 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert300 View Post
ya hi i am new here and me and my famly would like to move there what is the jobs and houseing like any help well be good thanks.
What area are you focused on?

Old 07-25-2009, 02:09 PM

any area in santa claus indiana

Old 07-26-2009, 09:06 AM

any im not picy we like the town and we'd like to know more about it and if its a good plaes to live.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:51 AM

10 posts, read 26,409 times
Smile 3 great cities

Elwood, Indiana is a wonderful town, it has everything you want, Mc Donalds, Kmart, and Marsh Supermarket. It is home to 1940 or 44' republican canidate Wendell L Wilkie also Elwood has good school and is an hour from
Indianapolis.

Greenwood/Bargersville is a good community Center Grove Schools have some of the best schools in the state. Also not to expensive an average house is $150,000-$500,000. Greenwood is not as hisstoric as Elwood though.

The last town is Nashville, Indiana. Nashville is also an hour from Indianapolis and is a great little town. It has 100 little shops on it main road. Brown County Schools and not to expensive to live there.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 8,547 times
We just moved to Indianapolis, Indiana from Southern California and my husband hates it so far. I am still in Huntington Beach, Ca waiting to retire in Feb. We moved there to be close to the kids. We do not have any family in California. I am hoping when I visit he will change his mind. Maybe we should have rented first before buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana