Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 02:54 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,783 times

Advertisements

With the economy being awful, are there still job opportunities for substitute teachers in Indiana? I am starting online pre-req classes in speech language pathology on Monday and I am looking for something to help me pay living expenses. The other thing I am thinking about is tutoring. Are there opportunities for tutors in Indiana? I am on unemployment right now. Assuming I get the extensions, I could get it until next summer. I would like to be working though even if it was part-time.

My lease expires at the end of September and I am trying to decide where to move. I will be looking to enter a master's program in speech language pathology hopefully by next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 03:41 PM

438 posts, read 1,360,716 times
There are some. My best friend and my mother in law are both substitutes now, after having been RIF'd a couple years ago from their full time teacher and teachers aide jobs respectively. My best friend makes $75 a day or so depending on which district calls her, MIL chooses to only sub in our hometown school district and makes $50 a day. Both have been working this week, even though it's the first week of school, and my friend is already scheduled in through mid September. MIL is not booked out that far, but does have a dozen more days already scheduled this semester.

Be warned though, at least here it is very much feast or famine with the sub gigs. Last year my BFF subbed three solid months and then not again til the week before the last week of school, and MIL booked a total of 10 days the entire year, combined between teacher's aide, teacher, and test proctor sub gigs.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:52 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
Be warned though, at least here it is very much feast or famine with the sub gigs. Last year my BFF subbed three solid months and then not again til the week before the last week of school, and MIL booked a total of 10 days the entire year, combined between teacher's aide, teacher, and test proctor sub gigs.
I kind of figured that is how subbing worked and I am sure it is probably like that everywhere. I am looking into moving somewhere and I am trying to find where the best opportunities are located. I need a fresh start. I would like to be close to a large city. Right now, my unemployment combined with student loans will pay all my bills. Of course my original unemployment runs out in November but with extensions I should have it until June. I am trying to decide if it best to move first or wait. The unemployment rate in my current area is near 20%.

I have considered placing ads for tutoring.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,814,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
There are some. My best friend and my mother in law are both substitutes now, after having been RIF'd a couple years ago from their full time teacher and teachers aide jobs respectively. My best friend makes $75 a day or so depending on which district calls her, MIL chooses to only sub in our hometown school district and makes $50 a day. Both have been working this week, even though it's the first week of school, and my friend is already scheduled in through mid September. MIL is not booked out that far, but does have a dozen more days already scheduled this semester.

I know I called Decatur Twnship to see if they were hiring subs and the HR person told me they are not even interviewing for subs. I have applied at Pike township weeks ago and they said they would call me on an as needed basis and I havent heard, but school recently started and I applied at Washington township so we will see what happens. I didnt think I would have to wait very long to hear about a sub teaching position, but I know most schools would rather have a licensed but laid off teacher who is looking to get a foot back in the door by subbing than someone like me who has been out of college two years and wants to get a foot in the door by subbing and who has no experience.

I have two retail jobs right now, and I am hoping the sub gig will be enough to take the place of one of them. I hope i can get regular work subbing. I thought schools always need an extensive sub list.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM

801 posts, read 2,567,297 times
I substitute in Indiana but I'm gradually finding that districts across the state line pay better, although its more expensive to get licensed and started.

You might want to look here for more info, or, if you already substitute teach, you might want to contribute to the information. Its a database of substitute teaching pay and working conditions.

Here is the link: CFN on Education: Substitute Teaching: Practical Matters (http://cfneducation.blogspot.com/2009/09/substitute-teaching-practical-matters.html - broken link)

Old 09-13-2009, 10:02 PM

7 posts, read 19,377 times
Marion sub pay is way too low. Below minimum wage in fact. Cashiers at retail places earn more. It boggles the mind that they can pay a bus driver, custodian or secretary big money (and I am not putting down the job that they do in anyway) and give them benefits - but substitute teachers with master degrees are getting paid less thana minimum wage per hour. Even the cafeteria workers get paid more! Strange sense of priorities in Marion for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana