Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,266 times

Advertisements

Hi:

Seems like you moved 3-4 years ago. You're from a city area, I see...we live in Manhattan, NYC!!

Definitely would prefer a town where you can walk to coffee store etc. Do any exist out there?

Seems like South Bend and Notre Dame is not a true college town like we're used to here back East.

Really would prefer an old neigbhorhood with trees, pedestrian feel...rather than a new subdivision.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsees View Post
Hi:

Seems like you moved 3-4 years ago. You're from a city area, I see...we live in Manhattan, NYC!!

Definitely would prefer a town where you can walk to coffee store etc. Do any exist out there?

Seems like South Bend and Notre Dame is not a true college town like we're used to here back East.

Really would prefer an old neigbhorhood with trees, pedestrian feel...rather than a new subdivision.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam
First, do you have children? If you do then you will not want to consider the South Bend school district. There are good private schools but they are expensive. If children are not a concern or the cost of private school, then South Bend does have some nice neighborhoods. I liked the SunnyMede area. Older homes with tons of charm. South Bend in my opinion is not that large of a city and I think there are less desirable areas than nice ones.

Mishawaka also offers the traditional older neighborhoods with the option of walking to stores. Great parks, I had great neighbors when we had our rental but there are many things that kept me from purchasing a home there.

My compromise was that I wanted the best schools for my child so I gave up the older neighborhood feel. I have a home that is in a sub established about 14 yrs ago. I am on the cul de sac. Complete suburbia. But I do have half an acre lot with tons of trees. When I need my big city fix (which is often) I jump on the South Shore train and take the 90 min ride into the heart of Chicago.

Being from a large city area myself, what would bring you to Indiana? Are you looking for a slower pace? Lower cost of living?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 AM

625 posts, read 1,810,183 times
Granger is definitely suburban at its finest. However, if that does not bother you than you will love it. The shopping in Mishawaka is very good, especially for the city of its size. I almost think you might want to try some of the houses along the river, ones that have charm. Elkhart has plenty of those, as does Mishawaka and South Bend. Also, check into Osceola (be careful where you check), but they also have some nice established neighborhoods. You are right that South Bend is not a true college town, however, things are moving in the right direction. They have to start somewhere. Eddy St Commons, once it becomes less vacant, will be a huge asset. I think this will start the beginning of places relocating to South Bend rather than Mishawaka. You are already seeing it happen. Basically, South Bend is the old city. Mishawaka is the next city, but more desirable. It used to be all cornfields in the 1970s and then the mall moved there and well, it is a nightmare for traffic to say the least. EVERYTHING has moved to Mishawaka, including the new hospital. Granger is a suburban area (about 30,000), with middle to high class homes, also newer for the most part.

Good luck in your search. This area definitely does have a lot of stuff going for it, as long as you stay away from the bad areas of South Bend.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,739 times
The best school in Indiana is Stanley Clark and it's in South Bend. We live in Granger also and have just moved here. We are building in Granger. We wanted to build so we could get exactly what we wanted. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana