Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 PM

31 posts, read 128,346 times

Advertisements

I am a recent grad of a secondary education program and am looking to relocate to Indiana for jobs. Where are good spots to love and what is the education system like? Where should I look into for teaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 12:31 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,918 times
Default teaching in Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy3681 View Post
I am a recent grad of a secondary education program and am looking to relocate to Indiana for jobs. Where are good spots to love and what is the education system like? Where should I look into for teaching?
The Fort Wayne Indiana vicinity - specifically Southwest and Northwest areas are expanding and could use teachers. If you set up residence in the Southwest area, there is great/affordable housing, there is a ton of new/higher end housing, and you'd have everything you could want in an area retail and restaurant-wise. The entire vicinity is affordable with nice weather too.

If you're open-minded to living in a more rural area, I'd look into the Prairie Heights School district just north of Stroh Indiana nearby Big Turkey Lake. Great facilities, lots of students, and a large number of retirement-aged teachers. They could use new teachers and would likely create an opening for you if you contacted the principal (and a position wasn't already there). You could buy a place directly on the water of one of the large glacier-formed/water-ski lakes nearby and have very relaxing times in the summers. Really, you could have a tremendous lifestyle with low-cost of living working and living there.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 11,484 times
Default Finding Great Schools

Quote:
I thought this site might be helpful to you. It provides all sorts of statistics on accredited Indiana schools, including Private schools, as long as they are accredited. You can do advance searches, by percentage of students passing the ISTEP, percentage of students on free lunch program (indicator of it being low income area school). Just all sorts of details. Number of teachers, average teacher salary. You name it the statistics are there for every school in Indiana.

http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARCH/search.cfm

Old 10-21-2008, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,165 times
Smile Indiana Teaching Jobs

I am also looking for teaching jobs in Indiana. I just completed an MBA and want to teach at ITT, Brown Mackie, or another tech or business school. I'm not sure where to start though, since I've been an engineer for the past 40+ years. Any helpful comments?

Old 10-21-2008, 02:26 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana2 View Post
I am also looking for teaching jobs in Indiana. I just completed an MBA and want to teach at ITT, Brown Mackie, or another tech or business school. I'm not sure where to start though, since I've been an engineer for the past 40+ years. Any helpful comments?
Purdue School of Engineering and Technology, IUPUI

It's a starting point

For the last few years I've been going there off and on and at least for the computer classes, they will hire someone without a PhD. They seem to actually value instructors who have actually worked in the field as opposed to someone whose entire adult life has been spent in one university or another.

There are also other satellite campuses throughout the state.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,109 times
Default Hai guys

I like to visit Indiana but i have problem with it... but this year i like to go for Christmas to celebrate over there and see any job in teaching profession...

Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 PM

4 posts, read 11,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana2 View Post
By all and any means. Come here to LaPorte and teach us how to manufacture toasters and export them to the Chinese consumer markets.
We really need productive jobs here in LaPorte County. -- John

Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 9,233 times
I think Fort Wayne is a wonderful place to live and there is a need for teachers here.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,972 times
Quote:
It's a little tough, okay really tough to find teaching jobs in Indiana. One of my classmates from IU never found a job here. I graduated in 2004. Another, finally found her first job after 6 years of subbing. I had to move to AZ to find my first teaching job. I have never been able to find a teaching job in Indiana either. All my interviews have been out-of-state. I am seriously thinking that it would be a waste of money to renew my Indiana teaching license. I have never even used it.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:44 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,183 times
Well, generally new teachers (if you don't have a connection) will have an easier time finding a job in a growing area. Indiana does have some places that are growing, but there is going to be tough competition. The suburbs of Fort Wayne are growing rapidly, as well as the suburbs of Indianapolis (Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Plainfield, Greenwood, Avon, Brownsburg, Zionsville, Westfield). In addition, maybe consider the Greater Louisville area in Southwest Indiana. It has a suburban feel as well. Those are great starting points and as you become more familiar with the Indiana landscape, other schools may appeal to you. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana