Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:16 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,609,708 times

Advertisements

It's going to be really hard to find a teaching job anywhere here. The school districts are all more interested in paying their superintendents than their teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 05:06 AM

369 posts, read 682,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
It's a little tough, okay really tough to find teaching jobs in Indiana. One of my classmates from IU never found a job here. I graduated in 2004. Another, finally found her first job after 6 years of subbing. I had to move to AZ to find my first teaching job. I have never been able to find a teaching job in Indiana either. All my interviews have been out-of-state. I am seriously thinking that it would be a waste of money to renew my Indiana teaching license. I have never even used it.
Have a relative about ready to finish her student teaching assignment. The job market is bleak for teachers. There have likely been hundreds, if not even over a thousand, teachers let go the last two years. Most of the K-12 referendums have failed, and that is going to result in even more teachers being laid-off. The only advice I'm tell people going into K-12 teaching: Be willing to move, far away if need be. If you go to one of the more rural states, and especially Alaska, you can likely find a teaching job. Unfortunately, it seems that all the larger cities in the smaller states (Billings, MT, Rapid City, SD, etc.) don't have as many jobs posted as they did before. My guess is that you had all these teachers in large states and when you have tens of thousand of teachers needing jobs, many have no problem moving to where there are jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Well, generally new teachers (if you don't have a connection) will have an easier time finding a job in a growing area. Indiana does have some places that are growing, but there is going to be tough competition. The suburbs of Fort Wayne are growing rapidly, as well as the suburbs of Indianapolis (Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Plainfield, Greenwood, Avon, Brownsburg, Zionsville, Westfield). In addition, maybe consider the Greater Louisville area in Southwest Indiana. It has a suburban feel as well. Those are great starting points and as you become more familiar with the Indiana landscape, other schools may appeal to you. Hope this helps.
Most of the suburban schools in the Indy metro area have let teachers go. Some even plan on letting even more teachers go this summer (referendums failed to pass). These schools have focused on the bling-bling instead of what is important.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:13 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,866,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Well, generally new teachers (if you don't have a connection) will have an easier time finding a job in a growing area. Indiana does have some places that are growing, but there is going to be tough competition. The suburbs of Fort Wayne are growing rapidly, as well as the suburbs of Indianapolis (Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Plainfield, Greenwood, Avon, Brownsburg, Zionsville, Westfield). In addition, maybe consider the Greater Louisville area in Southwest Indiana. It has a suburban feel as well. Those are great starting points and as you become more familiar with the Indiana landscape, other schools may appeal to you. Hope this helps.
Very true, but IU, Purdue, Ball State, Indiana State, Oakland City are all pumping out education grads by the thousands every semester. People even come from out-of-state and enroll in the education program at IU. These same people are all hoping to stay once they graduate. Many education grads don't want to leave this state, because you have to admit the pay isn't that bad for teachers here and teachers can purchase a house in Indiana.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:29 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
After reading the article today about how the funding formulas are changing for state supported universities, it's not looking good for public universities either. The gap between a public and a private college education is closing. But then again, our governor loves the private sector much moreso than the public sector ... I can't say I'm surprised.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:52 AM

369 posts, read 682,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
After reading the article today about how the funding formulas are changing for state supported universities, it's not looking good for public universities either. The gap between a public and a private college education is closing. But then again, our governor loves the private sector much moreso than the public sector ... I can't say I'm surprised.
Having a vested interest in this, I actually don't feel sorry for the universities. They are notorious for trying to run their businesses as private entities, yet want the state to bail them out with more and more taxpayer money. The amount of waste I saw while working at a large public university is sickening. The universities love to play the whole private bank account vs. public bank account scheme whenever they throw away money on ridiculous stuff. For example, IU School of Med spent a ridiculous amount of money on a Chihuly glass DNA sculpture. They will claim the money was "donated," but if this is what they are doing with donations, then they sure as hell don't need taxpayers throwing in more money to fix their buildings or pay for employee healthcare.

Then you have the personnel wage issues:

-You had a School of Medicine professor being paid to run the state Department of Toxicology. He messes everything up and is taken out of that position. Yet he keeps his six-figure salary, even though he is doing less work. To top it off, IU then has to hire Scott Newman for six-figures to clean up the mess.

-The IUPUI Women's basketball coach isn't fired for wrong doing. Instead, they decide to pay her the rest of her three year, $300K/year contract. She gets paid $260K to go away. Now the university wants to withhold the findings of a three person panel because of "student privacy" concerns. Oh yea, her assistant was making around $40K/year, they just paid her something like $35K to go away as well.

-Ridiculous athletic coaching salaries for the big sports. These things don't bring in enough money to cover their costs, so they hiked the student athletic fee down in Bloomington this past year. Now IU wants to spend $1M on a football coach to get someone good who can get the program up to speed.

Universities are getting so big and greedy, it is time for the state to cut all funding to universities. I would rather them cut university funding, and give the taxpayers back their money, minus a small % set aside for K-12 (with very strict new laws going forward over building costs).

Mitch knows what is really going on at IU, Purdue, Ball State, etc.. The administrators are sitting on anywhere from $200M to over a billion dollars, all the while they treat the organization as if it is a private business. The thing is, if these entities were private businesses, they would have went bankrupt decades ago. The amount of waste in our public universities is outrageous. We are talking administrative wages and salaries for non-academic positions that are likely the highest in the state in some cases. You can have a person running some non-academic department on campus, has maybe 30-40 people working under him/her, and that person could be pulling in over $120K/year. All the while, we have K-12 superintendents over anywhere from hundreds to thousands of employees, maybe making $150K, and people want to blast their wages.

It is time government get out of higher education, from the state level to the federal level. Obama has done nothing to make higher education more affordable. Making it easier for a person to go into $50K-$100K in debt for a college degree isn't making college affordable for all.

The recent CNBC program about student loan debt shows the problem. However, CNBC did a smear job on for-profit entities (DeVry, etc.), and basically gave a pass on traditional state supported and private universities. IUPUI's credit hour costs went from $95ish dollars an hour in the mid to late 90s to around $240/hour today. Yet some want to bash the governor for cutting higher ed's slush fund????

All I can say to younger folks who are in their pre-teens to early teens, you are going to have two options in life: If you want the "college life" or "college experience", meaning living on campus, away from home, you likely won't be able to afford a home, take a vacation, buy a nice, new car, until about ten years after you graduate and get a job. Chances are, with tuition rates at public universities continuing to spike, you might not get any of this till your mid-30s.

Can't wait for this house of cards to come crashing down.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 PM

11 posts, read 22,849 times
I'll be looking for a secondary teaching job for next year. I have 11 years experience, so hopefully that will help! If anyone has any connections to the Zionsville or Carmel area please let me know. Thank you!

Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 PM

73 posts, read 89,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
Having a vested interest in this, I actually don't feel sorry for the universities. They are notorious for trying to run their businesses as private entities, yet want the state to bail them out with more and more taxpayer money. The amount of waste I saw while working at a large public university is sickening. The universities love to play the whole private bank account vs. public bank account scheme whenever they throw away money on ridiculous stuff. For example, IU School of Med spent a ridiculous amount of money on a Chihuly glass DNA sculpture. They will claim the money was "donated," but if this is what they are doing with donations, then they sure as hell don't need taxpayers throwing in more money to fix their buildings or pay for employee healthcare.

Then you have the personnel wage issues:

-You had a School of Medicine professor being paid to run the state Department of Toxicology. He messes everything up and is taken out of that position. Yet he keeps his six-figure salary, even though he is doing less work. To top it off, IU then has to hire Scott Newman for six-figures to clean up the mess.

-The IUPUI Women's basketball coach isn't fired for wrong doing. Instead, they decide to pay her the rest of her three year, $300K/year contract. She gets paid $260K to go away. Now the university wants to withhold the findings of a three person panel because of "student privacy" concerns. Oh yea, her assistant was making around $40K/year, they just paid her something like $35K to go away as well.

-Ridiculous athletic coaching salaries for the big sports. These things don't bring in enough money to cover their costs, so they hiked the student athletic fee down in Bloomington this past year. Now IU wants to spend $1M on a football coach to get someone good who can get the program up to speed.

Universities are getting so big and greedy, it is time for the state to cut all funding to universities. I would rather them cut university funding, and give the taxpayers back their money, minus a small % set aside for K-12 (with very strict new laws going forward over building costs).

Mitch knows what is really going on at IU, Purdue, Ball State, etc.. The administrators are sitting on anywhere from $200M to over a billion dollars, all the while they treat the organization as if it is a private business. The thing is, if these entities were private businesses, they would have went bankrupt decades ago. The amount of waste in our public universities is outrageous. We are talking administrative wages and salaries for non-academic positions that are likely the highest in the state in some cases. You can have a person running some non-academic department on campus, has maybe 30-40 people working under him/her, and that person could be pulling in over $120K/year. All the while, we have K-12 superintendents over anywhere from hundreds to thousands of employees, maybe making $150K, and people want to blast their wages.

It is time government get out of higher education, from the state level to the federal level. Obama has done nothing to make higher education more affordable. Making it easier for a person to go into $50K-$100K in debt for a college degree isn't making college affordable for all.

The recent CNBC program about student loan debt shows the problem. However, CNBC did a smear job on for-profit entities (DeVry, etc.), and basically gave a pass on traditional state supported and private universities. IUPUI's credit hour costs went from $95ish dollars an hour in the mid to late 90s to around $240/hour today. Yet some want to bash the governor for cutting higher ed's slush fund????

All I can say to younger folks who are in their pre-teens to early teens, you are going to have two options in life: If you want the "college life" or "college experience", meaning living on campus, away from home, you likely won't be able to afford a home, take a vacation, buy a nice, new car, until about ten years after you graduate and get a job. Chances are, with tuition rates at public universities continuing to spike, you might not get any of this till your mid-30s.

Can't wait for this house of cards to come crashing down.

Good post, public universities waste a ton of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana