Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:58 AM

5 posts, read 21,997 times

Advertisements

DragoneyesGlassworks, I'm very happy that your daughter bought a house that is every American's dream. But, the you have to have a good paying job to buy a house and to keep it. I have done alot of research on Peru Indiana and all surrounding towns and cities,good paying jobs are not in Peru Indiana.
I feel a person needs more reasons to move into Peru or anywhere else for that matter, and it can't be just for a house. When they maybe won't have enough money to keep the house and grow old and make memories in it. What are you planning to do to make good paying jobs for the people of Peru?? What I'm planning to do and it's in the making even as I am writing this, is to build a very large Sport Complex which will bring revenue and all kinds of jobs for all ages. I already have huge backers for this project.
I wish both Jim Walker and Richard Smith good luck in the mayor race.

Now Alabaster Muse, What kind of work do you do?

Everybody have an Awesome Day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 05:12 AM

2 posts, read 9,737 times
Default Living in Peru

I've the equivalent of a Bachelors Degree in my time on the job if not more. I've done jobs from scrubbing toilets, motherhood, data entry, clerical of all kinds, receptionist, writing programs for office forms, word, excel, medical records technician, shipping coordinator. And yet, the jobs appear rather ridculous for the pay here in Peru. I want to be able to support my family, not work to simply go to work. By that I mean paying for the high priced gas here, groceries weekly. Savings isn't an option with the pay here. The Physicians here don't pay that well either and as for applying for clerical positions with your Duke hospital I beleive you have to know someone to get one of those jobs. And they never call you back either. In Amarillo I'm not ashamed that with my qualifications I landed a job starting at over 15 bucks an hour with a physican. Here? I've been laughed at for even telling someone I made that kind of money. Come on people, good employees don't come cheap, at least those that work hard, are dedicated and want to make a difference in you buisness for the good instead of just being there for the pay check. With the pay offered here, that's all they get. Someone working from week to week for a pay check.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:05 AM

246 posts, read 1,057,448 times
Default highliner

From all accounts, Peru is certainly no Amarillo, but isn't that a lot to ask of a community with one-tenth of the population of its opposite? Miami County seems to be a nice, fairly typical Hoosier city to me, with all of the problems and advantages that come with it. It's rural, small, and economically depressed, which will not be alleviated by a sports arena. The area is, however, an open, friendly, low crime place , in which to live. I guess you'll either have to commute to Kokomo, or else accept lower-paying employment in Peru.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:50 AM

13 posts, read 91,927 times
There are other ways to make a good living in Peru. If you have a computer you can sell online or tel-commute. You can always start your own business. There are always options. If your moving here and are unsure what to do, contact me and I will help you. With a little creativity and the right mind set, you can do almost anything!

As for the Sports Arena, it would have a very positive impact on our community. First, it would give the kids something to do and get them off the streets. Secondly, there will be a few jobs that must be filled. That is always good. And lastly it will also draw business in from the small surrounding areas that don't have such facilities themselves. Parents bringing their kids here will not only use the park, but most likely go out to eat and do a little shopping and buy fuel. So I am for such a place. Is it the fix all for Peru? No, but it is a step in the right direction.

We need to actively attract a more diverse manufacturing base. Our efforts would be best spent on developing relationships with young future-oriented companies that need an affordable location to establish their home base. As they grow and expand, so too will our local economy. This approach may not yield the instant results we could see from a large project such as the Chrysler-Getrag facility, but I believe it has a greater potential for stable, sustainable growth.

We know that meaningful change does not come easily. It will take effort from all of us to reverse the backward slide our community is in, but we believe that with help we can make Peru a better place to live and work.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,057 times
This message is for DragonseyeGlassworks. I lived in Peru for 11 years. My ex-father-in-law is Roy Bryant, the dog catcher. I moved back to Kentucky near my family after his son and I divorced. I now have my teaching degree. I am wanting to move back to the area for my children to be closer to their father. They see him regularly now, but with gas prices and traveling inconveniences, it would make more sense to move. I heard Pipe Creek was possibly hiring some new elementary teachers but I don't see it posted on their website. Can you let me know? I would like to teach in the maconaquah district. My daughter went to Mac. El for a year and a half before we moved. I really like the school district. I don't know when I will check this website again, since I just discovered it. My email is coolkygirl@hotmail.com. If you will let me know something, I would really appreciate it. I know Roy will be so tickled to have his Grandkids back in the area.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:32 PM

19 posts, read 100,232 times
Question visiting

We are going to be in Peru in July, from the 4th to the 10th getting my husband aquainted with the area and looking for jobs. I want to try to get him to meet potential employers while he is out there, make an impression. He is a truck driver, any ideas?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:26 AM

Kypenny and Redhd7, I have emailed you privately.

DragonseyeGlassworks

Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
I read about this project in my last Indianapolis Monthly magazine. A step in the right direction, I'd say!

Cole Porter Birthplace - Peru, Indiana

Old 06-07-2007, 04:53 PM

I'm not sure that I agree. How many people actually remember or know who Cole Porter is? And of those who do, how many will spend their hard earned dollars to come visit Peru just for Cole Porter? I think our tax dollars could be spent better somewhere else.

By the way, for those planning on moving here. Square D is going to be hiring 10 new workers. You need to go to Work One and register. Specify Square D. For those who don't know about Square D, it is the best paying manufacturing job in Peru. They are union.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 10,875 times
Thumbs up Peru House For Sale

For the most part, Peru, Indiana is a nice area to live in. Every place has it's bad parts and good parts. You just have to look for them.

My grandfather just moved into one of the apartments in Peru, he was downsizing from his two-story house. He was getting harder from him to move up and down the stairs to do his laundry. Anyways, the house is located on Hoover Aveune. The streets are named from past presidents, so it will be in order. It needs work done. Grandpa didn't update the downstairs, but the upstairs has new carpet in all the bedrooms upstairs, and new paint and wallpaper. The downstairs needs new carpet. It's very livable, and going very cheap! If you are interested, there is a realtor taking care of offers (Mars). No unreasonable offer will be turned down!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana