Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 09:05 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I haven't read anything about Bloomington lately. Is there anything of interest going on? Any news? How's the housing market?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,180 times
:P Bloomington is still FABULOUS.... still run by liberals, theres major highway construction being finished over on the 37 strip, the mall has a food court now so mayyyyybe it'll buffer itself up a bit and stop losing stores, and thats abouuuuuuut it. LOL (though i supose it depends on how far back you are wondering about.. as there was a major major flood down kirkwood and downtown in june.. and im sure i could come up with other major happenings if you wanted to know more) Housing market is about the same... apartments rule, unfortunately.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:27 PM

25 posts, read 65,409 times
Talking Plasto Blaster

Well, besides the Kirkwood flood and the small earthquake, there has been a vote for plastic instead of metal which has swayed the town to implement the use of the Karlsville manufactured Plasto Blaster (stored at City Hall on 401 N. Morton St) as a means of providing official Bloomingtonian Citizenship! WOW! That, and they've been constructing the B-Line Trail. The old 3rd Street railroad underpass between College and Rogers downtown that used to be an eyesore is now painted a sleek black and has a steel blue diamond shape adorning it. Yeah, nice changes for Bloomington thanks to our mayer Mark Kruzan and our citizens and... The Plasto Blaster. YEAH!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 15,000 times
so what do you mean, "still run by liberals"? I'm a very conservative Mississippian and am considering sending my daughter to school in Bloomington. I'm very concerned about her being in a large city so far away from me. Of course, I am a very protective mom - can't help it. Can you give me some info about the college life and what the town is like. My daughter is a very good Christian girl with high morals and she is very driven....but we can all be tempted and persuaded at times. Just a concerned parent, trying to figure out what's best for my child. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
College is college no matter where you are. There is lots of drinking and premarital sex. Not every student takes part in this culture, but it exists everywhere perhaps even at Christian colleges. You might feel more comfortable sending your daughter to an all girl college like, Smith College in MA. As for Bloomington, we have only visited several times, but it seems like such a lovely and safe town. The campus is beyond beautiful and the general vibe is that people are friendly and nice. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 15,000 times
I know it's everywhere...I did my fair share of partying back in the day. I guess I'm really more concerned with her safety. She won't know anyone there and I will be FAR FAR away. Small all girls colleges aren't really on option. She wants the big college experience with a marching band and wants to major in Music Education. She is very smart and scored very high on her ACT - so we are keeping all of our options open at this point. I just have to know that she will be safe so far away. We haven't visited yet, so as usual, I'm worrying before anything happens, but I found this website and thought "Why not?" Thanks so much for your reply.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:48 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Keep in mind that IU has a lot of kids from small towns .. was one myself once and I did ok. As long as she has a good dose of self confidence and you keep lines of communication open, she should be fine. I remember being there for a month before I felt truly comfortable ... a lot of change! When she moves in for freshman orientation, trust me, she'll meet several people in the same boat as her and IU has many many many social clubs and organizations that she will find her niche.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,960 times
Anyone know if there are any Vietnamese restaurants in the Bloomington area? or at least near us??

Old 01-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Cool Jacobs school of music

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankemp View Post
I know it's everywhere...I did my fair share of partying back in the day. I guess I'm really more concerned with her safety. She won't know anyone there and I will be FAR FAR away. Small all girls colleges aren't really on option. She wants the big college experience with a marching band and wants to major in Music Education. She is very smart and scored very high on her ACT - so we are keeping all of our options open at this point. I just have to know that she will be safe so far away. We haven't visited yet, so as usual, I'm worrying before anything happens, but I found this website and thought "Why not?" Thanks so much for your reply.
IU has a wonderful music program. If I weren't working at the factory full time, I would be enrolled already! Did you know that a lot of brass instruments, sax, clarinets, and even strings are made in Elkhart, Indiana? There's even a community band comprised of many talented musicians your daughter could look into if she's interested in marching band experience. IU is definitely big -- almost 40,000. Bloomington is a safe Midwestern town full of ecclectic, somewhat eccentric, artistic and intelligent individuals. If she can stand Indiana's cold, dark winters -- go for it! By the way, we're not all that liberal. Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels is a republican. And our Mayor Mark Kruzan seems like a moderate to me. San Francisco... now that's liberal! Good luck and God bless!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 PM

Talking Good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyum67 View Post
Anyone know if there are any Vietnamese restaurants in the Bloomington area? or at least near us??
Here you go:
1. www.mysunnypalace.com or (812) 333-5533 Sunny Palace

2. www.mymandalyrestaurant.com 0r (812) 339-7334 Mandaly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana