Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shall this thread be closed?
Yes! Si! Oui! Ja!! 6 75.00%
No! Nein! Non! Nyet!! 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,058,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Yea, whatever ...

socially regressive is as socially regressive does.

I've put in my 2 cents worth over there.

you've basicly taken the words right out of my mouth.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:00 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,262 times
OP. It really depends on the individual folks. Hard to generalize. For example, in Bloomington there is no issue. In some rural towns, yes. Indiana is what it is. Like most things in this world

Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 AM

36 posts, read 201,961 times
Depends on your idea of regressive and backward. In small towns, you will find a lot of conservative values people both Republican and Democrat. Few city liberals. Otherwise, I find the people regressive due to lack of education and life experiences of living elsewhere or having education. Low educational levels which end up wasting personal talents. Indiana and Kentucky are bad for that.

Backwards people are everywhere including New York, Chicago, etc. Just have hobbies and interests and you will find plenty to do. Including a lot of outdoor stuff. Libraries, hiking, museums, etc. Beautiful state in many places especially south. High level of nepotism, small mindedness, and corruption in S. Indiana

Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
There is a thread going on in the CT forum where such claims are being made. I would be curious to see some of your input on the matter.

I don't agree with that...but some in the thread do.

[url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/connecticut/191558-quasi-nyorker-calls-cters-backwards-3.html[/url]
If "regressive" and "backwards" means "hard working" and "generally honest" then yes, we are.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
If "regressive" and "backwards" means "hard working" and "generally honest" then yes, we are.

Apparently us being "regressive" and "backward" works for us because we have one of the best state governments and Indiana is one of just a handfull of states with a budget surplus($1.06 Billion) Indiana is filled with hardworking and honest people that are just trying to make a living and raise their families

Old 03-10-2009, 04:46 PM

179 posts, read 356,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Apparently us being "regressive" and "backward" works for us because we have one of the best state governments and Indiana is one of just a handfull of states with a budget surplus($1.06 Billion) Indiana is filled with hardworking and honest people that are just trying to make a living and raise their families
uh huh, and what did we hoosiers give up in terms of social and public services to get that? don't forget we sold ownership rights to the toll roads for a lump sum payment, still think we'll have a surplus next year? how about the fact our unemployment insurance is basically bankrupt and we've been borrowing from the feds? i like tax cuts, but at what cost to the citizen's lives? i live in carmel, supposedly one of the wealthiest places in IN, right? the leadership in the city is so great the keystone project is now costing the tax payers double what the mayor said it would do; and though i do like driving through the roundabouts instead of 4-way stops, i'm not sure the $600K ~ $1M for each one (and the maintenance cost to keep them lit and landscaped) is my money well spent.

the only time i see "regression" is when i see young men with shaved heads riding big trucks flying confederate flags. if they were wearing robes and the flags changed to a swastika, some people may think they're buddhist monks in monster trucks.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:36 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
uh huh, and what did we hoosiers give up in terms of social and public services to get that? don't forget we sold ownership rights to the toll roads for a lump sum payment, still think we'll have a surplus next year? how about the fact our unemployment insurance is basically bankrupt and we've been borrowing from the feds? i like tax cuts, but at what cost to the citizen's lives? i live in carmel, supposedly one of the wealthiest places in IN, right? the leadership in the city is so great the keystone project is now costing the tax payers double what the mayor said it would do; and though i do like driving through the roundabouts instead of 4-way stops, i'm not sure the $600K ~ $1M for each one (and the maintenance cost to keep them lit and landscaped) is my money well spent.

the only time i see "regression" is when i see young men with shaved heads riding big trucks flying confederate flags. if they were wearing robes and the flags changed to a swastika, some people may think they're buddhist monks in monster trucks.

You're as cynical as me!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 PM

9,407 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
There is a thread going on in the CT forum where such claims are being made. I would be curious to see some of your input on the matter.

I don't agree with that...but some in the thread do.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ckwards-3.html
What would some NYC guy know about anything other than hot dog stands and subways? Oh, and running companies into the ground.

And who cares if he thinks CT folk are backward? I'd say compared to NYC, that's progress.
CT has many beautiful areas. Unfortunately they're just one step behind MA regarding their repressive laws.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Well, Indiana has the highest smoking rate in the country outside of Kentucky, and it's actually increasing. That's not exactly a symbol of a progressive, modern state.

Indiana ranks second highest in U.S. adult smoking rate (http://www.inareaumc.org/2006/Sept/indiana_ranks_second_highest_in.htm - broken link)

Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 PM

the data from that report was collected back in 2005 and wasnt released till September 2006. Things could be different by now. Especially with all the smoking bans and the recent increase in cigarette prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana