Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 01:36 AM

4 posts, read 17,644 times

Advertisements

What a story. If you were in the Kokomo area on the night of Friday the 15th you may have felt bombs going off for about an hour. I know I did...around 2 A.M. This was frightening, and messed with my brainwaves. Everything in nature lulled for 2 seconds when they went off...including my heart and basic brain functioning. I am extremely perturbed that these so called TNT detonations were not done at least during daylight hours (which would have made more sense anyway...why would you do that in the dark?), and I'm also extremely angry that our city was not warned of these detonations. We should have been, because that was sickening, and I couldn't sleep the rest of the night. Oh, ok...so of course we shall receive a decent and believable response from our local papers. Right?....Not exactly.

"Kokomo Fire Department Detonates 45 LBS of TNT" headlined Sunday's paper. The story? A man (no name) who worked in a profession which utilized dynamite (no info given here either) had been keeping 45 lbs. of TNT in his attic since the 70's? His attic...yes, you read it correctly. Why in heaven's name would someone do that? Don't attics get pretty hot? Wouldn't he know better than to do this? What if his house had caught fire? If he worked in the "profession", I think he would know better. This TNT was discovered by this man's daughter (not even her name was given) after the fellow had passed away. She discovered it and called the fire department on Friday the 15th at 7 P.M. They then detonated it only 7 hours later? That seems fishy. What was the rush? Wouldn't they have thought that out over a longer period? I need answers.

The headline also states, "Explosions Prompt Hundreds of Calls to Police"....OH REALLY? YOU THINK? PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY WERE SOUND ASLEEP WHEN SUDDENLY IT'S LIKE HIROSHIMA OUTSIDE AND YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!!! It's called infringement on one's personal rights and freedom...it's called disregard and disrespect.

The paper did not specify anything! They didn't even give the location of the detonations...all they said was that it was done 5 minutes west of Kokomo. Well, people live there folks! People are living there, and people were sleeping that night, and people like me felt like they were having a heart attack. You don't just start setting of EXPLOSIVES! In my old town, there would be riots in the street about this. Given all of the strange activity within the past year in this area, I have every right to be speculative of this activity. We aren't being told something, and we can't just sit around and accept these simpleton stories. There have been numerous articles about Kokomo having a tunnel system underground. Based on naturally occurring gas chambers, they have the system running all the way to grissom air force base. They have been digging their way through, and some believe, bombing their way through these underground tunnels. These are said to be underground military bases. Kokomo is not alone in having these. Ok? Alright. Let's just be on our toes.

Last edited by MeHungee; 08-18-2008 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: wanted to add something else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
Living near Camp Atturbury, we get explosions all the time, but at least they are during the day. A couple weeks ago, my house shook because they were blowing up old buildings.

Hopefully there was enough public outcry that this won't happen again.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:36 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,289 times
Not working in the explosives business, but having done some reading, I understand dynamite can become fairly unstable over time. Considering storage opportunities (and I agree, the attic is nuts as it gets hot AND cold - look up dynamite in any on-line dictionary source) the old dynamite was likely quite unstable and possibly ready to explode on pick up. Again, not working in the business, but equally plausible, the group who picked it up may have weighed their options with this find and sought to eliminate it's instability with an explosion as quickly and safely as possible. There's some stuff you don't want to mess with, and 45 pounds of dynamite that is potentially unstable would rank pretty high on my list. Considering public safety, it's even more likely that a daytime detonation would have caused a greater disruption, given the potential of persons who may have been ambulating in the neighborhood.

As far as potential conspiracies, jobs are going overseas and the companies that outsource them are getting tax breaks. Undergound tunnels that require night blasting, eh, not so much, but that's my natural critical side weighing in.

Just some idle thoughts from an idle mind. I now return to tuned static.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 10,117 times
Totally off the subject, but I haven't been able to find a thread for this. I am in Arizona and would like to move to Kokomo. I have been looking at houses on line and have seen some really nice looking house for very cheap and have seen some other ones that look fine but outdated for seriously low prices, around 30,000 or under. I have no problem fixing up a house and updating it because that is what I do for a living, but my question is...is there a bad area to live in Kokomo? If so, what are the bad points? Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHungee View Post
What a story. If you were in the Kokomo area on the night of Friday the 15th you may have felt bombs going off for about an hour. I know I did...around 2 A.M. This was frightening, and messed with my brainwaves. Everything in nature lulled for 2 seconds when they went off...including my heart and basic brain functioning. I am extremely perturbed that these so called TNT detonations were not done at least during daylight hours (which would have made more sense anyway...why would you do that in the dark?), and I'm also extremely angry that our city was not warned of these detonations. We should have been, because that was sickening, and I couldn't sleep the rest of the night. Oh, ok...so of course we shall receive a decent and believable response from our local papers. Right?....Not exactly.

"Kokomo Fire Department Detonates 45 LBS of TNT" headlined Sunday's paper. The story? A man (no name) who worked in a profession which utilized dynamite (no info given here either) had been keeping 45 lbs. of TNT in his attic since the 70's? His attic...yes, you read it correctly. Why in heaven's name would someone do that? Don't attics get pretty hot? Wouldn't he know better than to do this? What if his house had caught fire? If he worked in the "profession", I think he would know better. This TNT was discovered by this man's daughter (not even her name was given) after the fellow had passed away. She discovered it and called the fire department on Friday the 15th at 7 P.M. They then detonated it only 7 hours later? That seems fishy. What was the rush? Wouldn't they have thought that out over a longer period? I need answers.

The headline also states, "Explosions Prompt Hundreds of Calls to Police"....OH REALLY? YOU THINK? PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY WERE SOUND ASLEEP WHEN SUDDENLY IT'S LIKE HIROSHIMA OUTSIDE AND YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!!! It's called infringement on one's personal rights and freedom...it's called disregard and disrespect.

The paper did not specify anything! They didn't even give the location of the detonations...all they said was that it was done 5 minutes west of Kokomo. Well, people live there folks! People are living there, and people were sleeping that night, and people like me felt like they were having a heart attack. You don't just start setting of EXPLOSIVES! In my old town, there would be riots in the street about this. Given all of the strange activity within the past year in this area, I have every right to be speculative of this activity. We aren't being told something, and we can't just sit around and accept these simpleton stories. There have been numerous articles about Kokomo having a tunnel system underground. Based on naturally occurring gas chambers, they have the system running all the way to grissom air force base. They have been digging their way through, and some believe, bombing their way through these underground tunnels. These are said to be underground military bases. Kokomo is not alone in having these. Ok? Alright. Let's just be on our toes.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:41 AM

8 posts, read 15,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantbreathinarizona View Post
Totally off the subject, but I haven't been able to find a thread for this. I am in Arizona and would like to move to Kokomo. I have been looking at houses on line and have seen some really nice looking house for very cheap and have seen some other ones that look fine but outdated for seriously low prices, around 30,000 or under. I have no problem fixing up a house and updating it because that is what I do for a living, but my question is...is there a bad area to live in Kokomo? If so, what are the bad points? Thanks so much.
The most affordable places to live in Indiana - by Art West - Helium

I live in Lemoore, California and I am looking at moving to Kokomo too. If I am lucky it will be before Fall 2010. I researched the move to death and here was a positive link as to why moving there is a good thing. Good luck on your quest~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana