Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM

6 posts, read 14,469 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've just moved to the Mishawaka area in Indiana and have been looking for a teaching position at the elementary level and have had a very difficult time finding an opening. I've applied to all the main public school districts in the area (Penn-Harris, Mishawaka, South Bend, etc.). I have an MA in Elem. Ed. from one of the highest ranking education grad schools in the nation and have a strong resume. I just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback as to why it has been so difficult to find any available openings at the elementary level in the area. Do schools usually not have many positions available - all the schools I have spoken with were hiring internally during the time we spoke. Does anyone have any advice they can provide? Any insight would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:03 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,072,940 times
First of course is the silly question, and one that is not meant to sound/be offensive, but,,, did ya have opportunity to investigate these opportunities for teaching before ya moved?

With that said, there are a another thread or two regarding teaching within Indiana - its my fuzzy remembrance of such that leads me to believe you may have a rough and possibly long wait ahead of ya, esp in that general area w/ the jobs being lost due to RV manufacturer closings, and then people maybe moving out - tax base hurt, and fewer kids in the system...

Guess since ya are already here, just keep optimistically plugging away, working positively contacts, networking there... unless/until decide to move to known opening. Good luck, wish ya best.

ps: here is search w/in this forum using word teaching: https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=7215102
One quite similar, for example, thread to yours is: https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...ml#post4328808

Old 08-12-2008, 08:36 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,385,652 times
[quote=serenity207;4836172]I have an MA in Elem. Ed. QUOTE]

That alone makes it more expensive to hire you. Because of the salary structure in most districts (more $ for more education or experience) one way they can save the budget is by hiring those with a BA or BS. They expect that eventually their teachers will have an MA or MS, but the district will be able to spend less for a quality teacher for a few years.

Good luck.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,868,393 times
Default I feel for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity207 View Post
Hi, I've just moved to the Mishawaka area in Indiana and have been looking for a teaching position at the elementary level and have had a very difficult time finding an opening. I've applied to all the main public school districts in the area (Penn-Harris, Mishawaka, South Bend, etc.). I have an MA in Elem. Ed. from one of the highest ranking education grad schools in the nation and have a strong resume. I just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback as to why it has been so difficult to find any available openings at the elementary level in the area. Do schools usually not have many positions available - all the schools I have spoken with were hiring internally during the time we spoke. Does anyone have any advice they can provide? Any insight would be much appreciated!
I was trying to find an elementary teaching job in Indiana and it is almost impossible unless you sub for like 4 to 5 years. I also have a strong resume and experience teaching ELL students. I applied at a school in Westfield and they said they had 4000 applications. I think you usually have to know someone in administration or HR before you can find an elementary teaching job in Indiana. In Indiana I don't think it matters what your resume looks like, just as long as you have kissed up to some administrator and then you will be able to find a job.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:37 AM

13 posts, read 50,533 times
I'm also in the teaching field, but originally from around the Kokomo area. There is a definite surplus of, especially elementary, educators. My best friend is a 5th grade teacher and she had to spend at least a year working as a paraprofessional before she was able to secure her job.

Secondary is a little easier to get into depending on where you live. The bigger cities have more need. Males also have a leg up on receiving teaching jobs. It's not a bias or sexist thing. Many children need positive male role models. Schools may be the only place where they are getting that.

You're going to be so much more expensive to hire than someone who is just coming out of their college education. However, you're also going to have more life experience and teaching experience. I know some wealthier, county schools are definitely looking for someone more like you. And can afford to pay you.

Good Luck On Your Search.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,780,530 times
My friend's sister has been an el ed teacher in Mishawaka for many years and each and every year, she either gets a pink slip, or almost gets a pink slip ... I wish you the best! You may want to investigate positions at IUSB or Bethel College.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,670,539 times
I agree. I also have a friend who works in Mishawaka and even with a Masters she was still working at head start making jack zip last time I checked. She graduated from Purdue, went back to Mishawaka and worked at a private school up there and didn't make jack for money. No hits on the public schools. Went back to purdue and got her masters and still nothing. There are way too many people wanting a teaching job. I could have told her a masters was gonna be counterproductive if she intended to stay in IN, at the same time schools in Florida were offering her twice the money...but she wants to live in mishawaka *rolls eyes*. And thats the problem, a lot of ed major types want to stay in indiana and the surplus of local folks with an ed major is crazy, schools are pumping out education degrees up there like it's going out of style and the economy doesn't support the demand, at least I know at purdue it's the premier fall-back major (next to OLS) for the majority-female population that decides to change majors past junior year..it's easy and quick to complete, prior credits relevant to completion of new major transfer almost one for one and the major gives the impression that it's a thoughtless win-win because "you can get a job anywhere with it". I'm afraid you'll have to go out of state for a competitive job offer in that field; I think the economics of an education major in indiana (and many states) relegates it to secondary income for the spouse of someone making the primary income. At least that's what I call working at head start for 3 years with a masters just to get a foot in the door of a public school system that honestly doesn't pay as competitive as one would think it should for the long wait (vis a vis Florida and Texas and other states with more openings). good luck in your search.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:34 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,498,015 times
It is not just an Indiana issue. Talked to someone in Denver who had to stay to be near her kids, long story, took her over 2 years to find a teaching position.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,780,530 times
I think that if you want to teach in Indiana, first you need to get certification and then be ready to go wherever the job is. Another suggestion is to branch out, South Bend, Elkhart, Plymouth, John Glenn, Fairfield, Northridge ... blech, Bremen ...

Old 08-14-2008, 08:47 PM

6 posts, read 14,469 times
Default thank you!

Thank you for all your wonderful advice and input. I did conduct some research prior to my move here, but didn't have much of a choice since I was following my husband here (he's obtaining his MBA at Notre Dame). This also leaves me with few options in terms of finding a teaching job elsewhere in Indiana, since I would need to stay in the Mishawaka/Granger location where we now reside. It has definitely been a bit of a challenge adjusting to a new environment/community, but I feel better at least having some more information and knowing that it's not just a solo struggle I'm going through with the job search. I guess I will just keep on plugging through and putting my resume out there for the time being. Thanks so much again for your feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana