Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 08:58 PM

144 posts, read 160,869 times

Advertisements

@indy_317 Thank you for the thoughtful response.

I too lean towards an introvert naturally, I prefer intimate settings to bustling ones. I do force myself to be more extroverted when necessary, mostly for professional purposes. I do think my more-introvert nature is part of what draws me to these areas, and why I get more joy of out of outdoors recreation than anything.

Your point about work being most prevalent in urban and suburban areas is well taken, it's precisely why that's where I immediately look when checking out a state. Additionally I look to the state's capitol for politically related work, but any suburbs around a city is fair game. Gotta go where the jobs and the money is! I'll be checking out suburbs near Fort Wayne as well, though I've heard the weather in northern Indiana can be particularly harsh. The suburbs are essential though, I can't imagine living in a crowded concrete jungle for the rest of my days.

When you mention custom housing, do you mean building from scratch? Can you provide some ballparks as to the cost of such an endeavor, if you have any idea? Sounds considerably more costly than purchasing an existing home.

I personally believe balanced budgets are important to the stability of a state. At its worst, the congressional session ends with precisely the amount of funds they assigned in the first place. At its best, a surplus is generated which can warrant a tax cut, a spending cut, or be used in a "rainy day" fund if they're so inclined. I do agree though that if something gets cut, and they need the money, they'll find others way to receive the revenue. It seems like Indiana has already taken such steps, with the county tax being particularly notable. My fear for a place like Indiana, and it extends to other states, is that it is going to be a prime target for transplants like myself for the many reasons that makes the state an attractive place to live. I originally didn't consider Indiana, but it was recommended to me several times. Problem is, the transplants usually come from blue states who are becoming too expensive--and to an extent dangerous--to live in, and they bring their voting patterns with them, as if to ignore the fact that those very policies are what put the states in such poor affairs.

I've heard a few times now that Indiana's potential for hiking isn't that great, certainly not comparable to Appalachia or the Mountain West. I particularly enjoy visiting the Southwest, and hiking Colorado has been some of my fondest memories. Still, I feel like hiking is what you make of it. I've known hikers who are in it for the views, which is obviously great, but I'm more in it for the experience itself. I enjoy putting myself through the paces and breathing the fresh, all while enjoying the calm and crisp scenery.

Not like I have a dog in the race yet, but my hope is that if I do end up choosing Indiana for relocation, that places like Carmel, Fishers, and Noblesville calm down with their expansion efforts. The more urban these suburbs set to out to become, the more un-affordable and politically blue they become. By all means, grow at a healthy pace, but at the current explosive rate the data conveys stands to turn off a lot of people from considering them to be attractive areas to settle in.

Best of luck in your search as well.

Last edited by MillennialMaverick; 03-29-2018 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 07:26 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialMaverick View Post
I personally believe balanced budgets are important to the stability of a state. At its worst, the congressional session ends with precisely the amount of funds they assigned in the first place. At its best, a surplus is generated which can warrant a tax cut, a spending cut, or be used in a "rainy day" fund if they're so inclined. I do agree though that if something gets cut, and they need the money, they'll find others way to receive the revenue. It seems like Indiana has already taken such steps, with the county tax being particularly notable. My fear for a place like Indiana, and it extends to other states, is that it is going to be a prime target for transplants like myself for the many reasons that makes the state an attractive place to live. I originally didn't consider Indiana, but it was recommended to me several times. Problem is, the transplants usually come from blue states who are becoming too expensive--and to an extent dangerous--to live in, and they bring their voting patterns with them, as if to ignore the fact that those very policies are what put the states in such poor affairs.
I would recommend doing some research on Carmel's financial situation. I don't follow it closely, but I think they still have a fair amount of debt as a result of building the Palladium. The mayor is very ambitious in his development efforts and most of it has been financed, i.e. future taxpayers are on the hook for this. This past Sunday's edition of the Indy Star had an article about a luxury hotel proposal that would be essentially government financed (there's some business/legal mumbo jumbo, but at the end of the day, it's not the private developers who stand to lose their shirts).

Fishers has managed to keep property taxes low, but every few years there is a referendum to raise them for school funding, and it always passes easily. Once they actually run out of land to keep building new homes to tax, it will be time to face the music. Their mayor also likes to give away lots of tax incentives for new business and other development, it would seem there is a limit on how much longer that strategy will be feasible.

Point is, finances are challenging everywhere, and here is no exception.

WRT bolded, be mindful that these increasingly pointed comments about people who do not align with you politically may apply to some of us who are answering your questions here. If you really really cannot stand to live around anyone who is not "red" (GOP, not Communist - funny how these things evolve), this region may not be the utopia you are constructing in your mind.

Last edited by IndyDancer; 03-30-2018 at 07:42 AM..

Old 03-30-2018, 07:53 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Carmel is leading the race toward urbanization. Fishers is complete suburban sprawl with whatever its downtown was being bulldozed. They've basically started over in the past few years. Check out the Facebook group "Carmel Social Media."

Noblesville is fairly far out and it may take years for it to get fully "sucked in." There are also other towns that feel suburban, but are a little outside of the suburban sprawl bubble. Look into McCordsville, Fortville, Pendleton, and maybe even Cicero.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I would recommend doing some research on Carmel's financial situation. I don't follow it closely, but I think they still have a fair amount of debt as a result of building the Palladium. The mayor is very ambitious in his development efforts and most of it has been financed, i.e. future taxpayers are on the hook for this. This past Sunday's edition of the Indy Star had an article about a luxury hotel proposal that would be essentially government financed (there's some business/legal mumbo jumbo, but at the end of the day, it's not the private developers who stand to lose their shirts).

Fishers has managed to keep property taxes low, but every few years there is a referendum to raise them for school funding, and it always passes easily. Once they actually run out of land to keep building new homes to tax, it will be time to face the music. Their mayor also likes to give away lots of tax incentives for new business and other development, it would seem there is a limit on how much longer that strategy will be feasible.

Point is, finances are challenging everywhere, and here is no exception.

WRT bolded, be mindful that these increasingly pointed comments about people who do not align with you politically may apply to some of us who are answering your questions here. If you really really cannot stand to live around anyone who is not "red" (GOP, not Communist - funny how these things evolve), this region may not be the utopia you are constructing in your mind.
I understand there's no utopia, and I'm on these forums specifically to ensure that I don't head into anything with my eyes closed. Every place that has a sizable population is bound to run into the question of expansion efforts and how to approach such an endeavor. I was seeing similar situations when researching suburbs near Columbus in Ohio--most notably Powell and Dublin. They're also very up and coming, no doubt in correlation with Columbus' recent population increase.

Sounds like the city council(s) and Mayors oughta get out of their constituents' pockets and primarily focus their efforts on making the area a very attractive place for businesses, developers, and residents alike to invest their capital in. Can't tax your way into prosperity, just my two cents.

In regards to the political comments, I understand. I know what it's like to have the shoe on the other foot, perhaps all too well. It's not my intent to merely state my views or be validated, I don't need any of that. Those specific comments were made to express real concerns I have when making my decisions regarding these subjects. It was relevant to the discourse of the user that I was responding to. Of course I'll try to be more mindful if it begins to become less constructive to the discussion, though I feel I should be completely transparent in my points in order to get the most of this research effort.

Thanks for understanding.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Carmel is leading the race toward urbanization. Fishers is complete suburban sprawl with whatever its downtown was being bulldozed. They've basically started over in the past few years. Check out the Facebook group "Carmel Social Media."

Noblesville is fairly far out and it may take years for it to get fully "sucked in." There are also other towns that feel suburban, but are a little outside of the suburban sprawl bubble. Look into McCordsville, Fortville, Pendleton, and maybe even Cicero.
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like Boone County is still relatively small with some areas, notably Zionsville, that fit the description of what's most attractive to me. While Carmel and Fishers most closely represent what I like at this moment, they may not in a decade's time. A place like Zionsville may withstand the test of time.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:16 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Quote:
When you mention custom housing, do you mean building from scratch? Can you provide some ballparks as to the cost of such an endeavor, if you have any idea? Sounds considerably more costly than purchasing an existing home.
Around here there are two types of homes that have developed in recent decades: There are companies that build neighborhoods. They are the only builder. Buyers can choose from a set number of home designs. They can then upgrade as they want (bay windows, stone counter tops, hard wood floor vs carpet, etc.). Some of these neighborhoods range from homes that are 100% vinyl on the outside, to brick stone fronts and vinyl on three sides, to homes that are some brick/stone with cement board siding, to homes that are full brick/stone. Full stone homes are rare, as that is very costly, a brick home is more common. These homes are quasi custom, but since ten homes in a neighborhood could technically be the same, many folks don't consider such homes as custom. Here, custom means you get your own builder, usually building on your own lot in a neighborhood or detached parcel of land. Some neighborhoods like this will have a list of approved builders. These neighborhoods tend to be much higher end in terms of housing, and they have strict standards (ie: No vinyl siding, cement board, maybe all brick, maybe brick front, etc.).

A one story 2,000 sq. ft. finished first story, with an upper level bonus room unfinished, a three car garage, a 1,000 unfinished partial basement, full brick wrap, will run you around $325K. The lot might or might not be included in that price. That is a recent figure I got from a builder I know. About two years ago this price was about $10K less. Lose the basement and full brick wrap and you'll likely save around $75K or more.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:44 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,398,593 times
Quote:
Your point about work being most prevalent in urban and suburban areas is well taken, it's precisely why that's where I immediately look when checking out a state. Additionally I look to the state's capitol for politically related work, but any suburbs around a city is fair game. Gotta go where the jobs and the money is! I'll be checking out suburbs near Fort Wayne as well, though I've heard the weather in northern Indiana can be particularly harsh. The suburbs are essential though, I can't imagine living in a crowded concrete jungle for the rest of my days.

Outside of downtown Indianapolis, very little in the metro area is a concrete jungle. It's a flat, rainy area on clay soil. We can't build cheek by jowl here because it already floods sometimes, even with all the green space. Outside the "doughnut" area around downtown, there are actually farms well within the city limits. You might check out the south side of Indianapolis--it's politically red, there's quite a bit of wide-open space, and I don't see it getting overdeveloped anytime soon. You might face less competition for what you want to do than you would in Carmel. And there is so much that needs to be done in Indianapolis.

I'm not sure what political positions you're thinking of trying for, but unless it's mayor or governor or member of the US Congress, those jobs really don't pay much. And I agree with IndyDancer about the pointed comments. We're not New Yorkers here.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:03 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
So what kind of work are you hoping to get into in Indiana? Government?

For government Indianapolis would be the natural choice. However, there are plenty of other decent sized cities in Indiana all in need of government workers at the city and county level as well. Fort Wayne, South Bend, Evansville, and Bloomington to name a few.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Around here there are two types of homes that have developed in recent decades: There are companies that build neighborhoods. They are the only builder. Buyers can choose from a set number of home designs. They can then upgrade as they want (bay windows, stone counter tops, hard wood floor vs carpet, etc.). Some of these neighborhoods range from homes that are 100% vinyl on the outside, to brick stone fronts and vinyl on three sides, to homes that are some brick/stone with cement board siding, to homes that are full brick/stone. Full stone homes are rare, as that is very costly, a brick home is more common. These homes are quasi custom, but since ten homes in a neighborhood could technically be the same, many folks don't consider such homes as custom. Here, custom means you get your own builder, usually building on your own lot in a neighborhood or detached parcel of land. Some neighborhoods like this will have a list of approved builders. These neighborhoods tend to be much higher end in terms of housing, and they have strict standards (ie: No vinyl siding, cement board, maybe all brick, maybe brick front, etc.).

A one story 2,000 sq. ft. finished first story, with an upper level bonus room unfinished, a three car garage, a 1,000 unfinished partial basement, full brick wrap, will run you around $325K. The lot might or might not be included in that price. That is a recent figure I got from a builder I know. About two years ago this price was about $10K less. Lose the basement and full brick wrap and you'll likely save around $75K or more.
That is fascinating. I spend a lot of time on realtor/zillow and always save specific homes that suit my tastes for reference later. Of course I'd rather build a home from scratch to my specific tastes than purchase an existing one. However, it will always come to down to cost, so we'll see. Ultimately I'm positive I'll go with whichever home is closest to my liking at the cheapest cost. Unless I get lucky and make good money, God willing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Outside of downtown Indianapolis, very little in the metro area is a concrete jungle. It's a flat, rainy area on clay soil. We can't build cheek by jowl here because it already floods sometimes, even with all the green space. Outside the "doughnut" area around downtown, there are actually farms well within the city limits. You might check out the south side of Indianapolis--it's politically red, there's quite a bit of wide-open space, and I don't see it getting overdeveloped anytime soon. You might face less competition for what you want to do than you would in Carmel. And there is so much that needs to be done in Indianapolis.

I'm not sure what political positions you're thinking of trying for, but unless it's mayor or governor or member of the US Congress, those jobs really don't pay much. And I agree with IndyDancer about the pointed comments. We're not New Yorkers here.
Intriguing, I will definitely check out southern Indianapolis. Didn't think I'd consider living in any city, just close to one, but if its features are as you say and therefore very suited to my tastes, then by all means. If there is work to be done in Indianapolis, then I'd love to be a part of it.

So I try to avoid expressing the extent of my political ambitions when people ask, as running for office is a complete gamble--at least when you're trying to strike out. You have no idea if your platform will resonate with others, and winning the confidence of the electorate is just part of the battle, although the most important. There's also convincing specific organizations, institutions, and donors that it's in their best interest to back you during an election cycle and give your campaign whatever it needs to assure victory. I've been involved in the process--both within when I interned for a U.S congressman, and from the outside when I worked on a mayoral campaign--it's quite a process.

The reason I go into detail about all that is to convey how much of a high-risk/high-reward prospect running for office is, and so I feel REALLY silly when expressing the extent of my political aspirations, seeing as it's very much possible that none of it will happen. It's why most politicians have primary careers before beginning their own forays in politics. In the spirit of transparency, I will say that my ambitions know no bounds, as far as I've yet to see. I would be honored to serve at any level: local, state, or federal. The most practical and arguably popular way is to start within the state legislature, network & gain exposure, then work your way towards higher office. I would consider being a U.S Representative to be a solid success, I would be incredibly grateful and proud. It would be one of those moments where you call up your parents and say "Guys, I made it." I would consider my highest ambition to be a U.S Senator or Governor of a state. I would say Governor is my most coveted political position; they are essentially state-wide President(s) and their duties are aligned with leadership roles. I can think of no greater honor or demanding duty, except the Presidency of course.

Now I know you asked in regards to how the offices pay, but I figured I'd go deeper in the subject. I've checked the salary of a state legislator in Indiana (little more than 25K), and it is definitely lower than several legislatures across the country--but the legislature is also a part-time position. On even numbered years, the legislature concludes on March 15th, and on odd numbered years, the legislature concludes on April 30th. Unless the Governor calls a special session, that is quite a short amount of months in the year to earn 25k. Of course you're still bound to attend certain functions throughout the year, but for 8-9 months of the year you're free to pursue a full time position elsewhere. It seems Indiana's legislature wants to ensure that its members have actual careers besides a political one, to attract worldly & diverse candidates in order to enrich the discourse rather than career politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So what kind of work are you hoping to get into in Indiana? Government?

For government Indianapolis would be the natural choice. However, there are plenty of other decent sized cities in Indiana all in need of government workers at the city and county level as well. Fort Wayne, South Bend, Evansville, and Bloomington to name a few.
Government would be the most natural fit. There's also education (I'm a teacher right now and have my Bachelor's in History-Education) and public affairs (writing, researching, and/or analyzing for a news/media organization). I can see myself teaching at middle and high schools (public or private); serving as a contributor, editor, or political analyst for a local/state-wide news organization, or being a staffer in a government department. I've got a few years of experience teaching history & civics and working in political settings. When I finish grad school and join the army I plan on pursuing a Public Affairs MOS (military occupational specialty), which basically has you doing research & writing for military articles and press releases. I try to be as interdisciplinary as possible, as I feel versatility is key to potential employment. You can probably tell from that brief description what my interests and skills are, and how that could potentially translate to employment in Indiana.

I am currently checking out Fort Wayne and Evansville. I'll check out Bloomington and South Bend, though I am aware that the University of Indiana is in Bloomington (very attractive employment prospect). Thank you for your suggestions!

Last edited by MillennialMaverick; 03-31-2018 at 11:56 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 08:24 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Quote:
That is fascinating. I spend a lot of time on realtor/zillow and always save specific homes that suit my tastes for reference later. Of course I'd rather build a home from scratch to my specific tastes than purchase an existing one. However, it will always come to down to cost, so we'll see. Ultimately I'm positive I'll go with whichever home is closest to my liking at the cheapest cost. Unless I get lucky and make good money, God willing!

Intriguing, I will definitely check out southern Indianapolis. Didn't think I'd consider living in any city, just close to one, but if its features are as you say and therefore very suited to my tastes, then by all means. If there is work to be done in Indianapolis, then I'd love to be a part of it.

So I try to avoid expressing the extent of my political ambitions when people ask, as running for office is a complete gamble--at least when you're trying to strike out. You have no idea if your platform will resonate with others, and winning the confidence of the electorate is just part of the battle, although the most important. There's also convincing specific organizations, institutions, and donors that it's in their best interest to back you during an election cycle and give your campaign whatever it needs to assure victory. I've been involved in the process--both within when I interned for a U.S congressman, and from the outside when I worked on a mayoral campaign--it's quite a process.

The reason I go into detail about all that is to convey how much of a high-risk/high-reward prospect running for office is, and so I feel REALLY silly when expressing the extent of my political aspirations, seeing as it's very much possible that none of it will happen. It's why most politicians have primary careers before beginning their own forays in politics. In the spirit of transparency, I will say that my ambitions know no bounds, as far as I've yet to see. I would be honored to serve at any level: local, state, or federal. The most practical and arguably popular way is to start within the state legislature, network & gain exposure, then work your way towards higher office. I would consider being a U.S Representative to be a solid success, I would be incredibly grateful and proud. It would be one of those moments where you call up your parents and say "Guys, I made it." I would consider my highest ambition to be a U.S Senator or Governor of a state. I would say Governor is my most coveted political position; they are essentially state-wide President(s) and their duties are aligned with leadership roles. I can think of no greater honor or demanding duty, except the Presidency of course.

Now I know you asked in regards to how the offices pay, but I figured I'd go deeper in the subject. I've checked the salary of a state legislator in Indiana (little more than 25K), and it is definitely lower than several legislatures across the country--but the legislature is also a part-time position. On even numbered years, the legislature concludes on March 15th, and on odd numbered years, the legislature concludes on April 30th. Unless the Governor calls a special session, that is quite a short amount of months in the year to earn 25k. Of course you're still bound to attend certain functions throughout the year, but for 8-9 months of the year you're free to pursue a full time position elsewhere. It seems Indiana's legislature wants to ensure that its members have actual careers besides a political one, to attract worldly & diverse candidates in order to enrich the discourse rather than career politicians.

Government would be the most natural fit. There's also education (I'm a teacher right now and have my Bachelor's in History-Education) and public affairs (writing, researching, and/or analyzing for a news/media organization). I can see myself teaching at middle and high schools (public or private); serving as a contributor, editor, or political analyst for a local/state-wide news organization, or being a staffer in a government department. I've got a few years of experience teaching history & civics and working in political settings. When I finish grad school and join the army I plan on pursuing a Public Affairs MOS (military occupational specialty), which basically has you doing research & writing for military articles and press releases. I try to be as interdisciplinary as possible, as I feel versatility is key to potential employment. You can probably tell from that brief description what my interests and skills are, and how that could potentially translate to employment in Indiana.

I am currently checking out Fort Wayne and Evansville. I'll check out Bloomington and South Bend, though I am aware that the University of Indiana is in Bloomington (very attractive employment prospect). Thank you for your suggestions!
You may want to check out Lafayette/West Lafayette area. Purdue University is in W. Lafayette.
Home of Purdue, Welcome to Lafayette-West Lafayette, Indiana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana