Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 05:33 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times

Advertisements

There are dumb people in every state and region.

Is Crown Point progressive compared to suburban Indy, especially northern suburbs?

Crown Point is okay but not the most progressive or affluent area in Chicago area or even NWI. It is a decent far suburb in NWI but pretty far from Chicago and with newer cheaper housing stock and may be prone to future white flight and region population continues to shift from areas like Merrillville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 06:49 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
How one speaks seems to be more aligned with education level than with geography.

I am from rural southern Indiana but everyone in my family has gone to university for generations.

We do not speak with the colloquialisms mentioned on this thread though my parents do say "warsh" instead if wash.

I know people in Remington Indiana who sound more southern than people I know in Nashville and Atlanta, but these areas are much more cosmopolitan and filled with transplants.
Agreed, if the actual grammar is just way off, but not on accents.

My parents went to college, and I also went to college. However, I probably have a heavier Southern accent than either one of them. Many educated people, especially those who are from small towns or rural areas, have heavy accents, even if their grammar is otherwise correct.

I noticed the "warsh" thing as well. That's long gone here in Tennessee, but my ex (who was 47) and her family in Anderson used warsh instead of wash. I only heard warsh growing up from one grandmother here. I've heard "fair to middling" before.

I was also surprised with the noticeable twang you see south of Columbus or so - even some native south side Indy residents had it. The farther south you went, the more noticeable it became. I met some guys last year from Seymour who sounded very similar to me.

One thing that needs to be remembered, especially in towns like Anderson or Muncie, was that many people came from the South a couple of generations ago to work in the automotive industry. You still have plenty of people in these town who were raised by Southern families, in communities which had a lot of Southern transplants. A lot of those patterns and accents remain, at least in part.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,553 times
Growing up in Louisville, the only stereotype of Indiana I knew of was that the drivers were awful. This turns out to be hilarious, because as I got older I realized that KY drivers are just as bad, if not worse.

My experience in Indiana that the nice people were genuinely nice, the not so nice people were not so much rude as they were just indifferent to people they didn't know, and the ladies had the strongest sex drives I've ever seen. It was crazy. I've lived in 5 major cities in 4 different states and I've never seen anything like it.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 AM

36 posts, read 43,108 times
Northwest Indiana :
FIB = F.... Illinois bastards!
Pork tenderloin = a type of sandwich

What FIBs think abt NW Indiana:
Cheap gas
Fireworks
Pumpkin/apple U pick farm
"That proves once again, There is more than corn in Indiana" = Indiana Beach
Indiana tollway : Speed all you until you reach IL or OH border.
lake effect snow
beach
MJ hometown
Cheap house
Outlet mall
Larry Bird

Old 02-10-2017, 12:32 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,649 times
Default took the test

28% Dixie. They called me a "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdg View Post
Northwest Indiana :
FIB = F.... Illinois bastards!
Pork tenderloin = a type of sandwich

What FIBs think abt NW Indiana:
Cheap gas
Fireworks
Pumpkin/apple U pick farm
"That proves once again, There is more than corn in Indiana" = Indiana Beach
Indiana tollway : Speed all you until you reach IL or OH border.
lake effect snow
beach
MJ hometown
Cheap house
Outlet mall
Larry Bird
Hey, I used to be one of those FIB's, LOL! Now I'm a Hoosier!

Anyway as far as NW Indiana is concerned I agree with he above. I would also add that before I lived here, what I thought about Indiana was....

John Mellencamp
Michael Jackson
Racist white people (that's somewhat true)!
Low property taxes
Cheaper homes than Illinois
Stay away from Gary
Purdue
Colts
Indiana Dunes
A LOT OF SNOW

As far as an accent, I think it depends where you live in Indiana.... just like most states, there are different accents depending where you are in the state! What I'm pleasantly surprised at is how nice everyone is here. People are generally nice unlike Chicago where everyone is rude. Hey, I'm originally from Illinois, C'mon everyone is rude there!

Old 02-17-2017, 05:15 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Trooper View Post
sorry if i was a little short tempered while writing my last post

Happens to all of us, it's ok to be human. It's super awesome that you offered an apology to Interpol though. <3

Old 03-26-2017, 03:21 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Outside of Indiana, most of the nation has a stereotypical image that most all Hoosiers grow up playing basketball on the side of a barn. That image is pretty much unique to Indiana. For years, Indiana was known thru out the nation for the enthusiasm the fans had for its high school basketball tournament more so than any other state. They gave it a name - Hoosier Hysteria. It was the high school basketball team that put the little towns on the map. The only recognition many of these little towns would get would be thru the high school basketball team. How many people ever would have heard of little towns like Loogoottee and Cloverdale if it wasn't for their successful basketball teams in the 1960's and 70's, or Milan in the 1950's. I bet that Lebanon, Indiana never got as much recognition as it did when Rick Mount was on the cover of Sports Illustrated in the mid 1960's. High School Basketball in Indiana was on the same level of importance as High School football was in Texas.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:36 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Outside of Indiana, most of the nation has a stereotypical image that most all Hoosiers grow up playing basketball on the side of a barn. That image is pretty much unique to Indiana. For years, Indiana was known thru out the nation for the enthusiasm the fans had for its high school basketball tournament more so than any other state. They gave it a name - Hoosier Hysteria. It was the high school basketball team that put the little towns on the map. The only recognition many of these little towns would get would be thru the high school basketball team. How many people ever would have heard of little towns like Loogoottee and Cloverdale if it wasn't for their successful basketball teams in the 1960's and 70's, or Milan in the 1950's. I bet that Lebanon, Indiana never got as much recognition as it did when Rick Mount was on the cover of Sports Illustrated in the mid 1960's. High School Basketball in Indiana was on the same level of importance as High School football was in Texas.
I miss the days of Hoosier Hysteria. Removing the single-class system means Milan can never happen again. That said, seeing Crispus Attucks win this year for the first time since '59 was pretty darn cool.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:08 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,942 times
A lot of Fundamentalist Christians. David Letterman and Jane Pauley.

The Indiana Torture Murder.

Little Orphan Annie.

Pretty state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana