Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 6,776 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my wife and 2 year old son to south bend, been looking at houses around the Haney Ave, Miami street area, so I would say it is south side? I am wondering how this area is? I lived there in 2002 and it was not that bad at all. But its been a good 10+ years so I am wondering how it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 06:05 PM

No one lives around there at all?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:07 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
A few co workers live on the south side. They say it is nice but there was a rash of break-ins last summer in their neighborhoods. That is all the info I have. We opted to buy in Granger when we relocated to the area. I hope you get more replies. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2015, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,362 times
Default Miami/Haney St. area

Stay away from the area. Go farther south or farther east. I'd say the farther south, the better. I live on the far south side only a few blocks from the city limits. It's convenient to the bypass and shopping.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:54 PM

It is either there or elkhart, Which one do you think is better and safer?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:59 AM

990 posts, read 3,188,028 times
The area around Haney & Miami in South Bend is not that bad, but not that great. It is a typical, industrial era neighborhood. It is very conveniently located, you can get downtown within a few minutes and you are close to both Ivy Tech and IUSB if higher education is important.

However, the neighborhood directly to your West is a low-income neighborhood, with a high crime rate. The neighborhood you are looking in has a median family income of $35,000, but the neighborhood next door has a median family income of $15,000. That wouldn't be a big deal if the lower income neighborhood also didn't have such a high crime rate. One great thing about the neighborhood you are looking at is the price of houses, which are generally in the $30-60k range. However, if you put money into renovations, don't expect to get much back. Safety is always going to be a big issue though, living so close to a high crime area, so please keep that in mind.

I would need to know where in Elkhart you are looking to relocate to, to give you info about that neighborhood.

Do not count out Mishawaka, there are similar priced homes there and though the schools are not that great, the neighborhoods are generally safer. You still have convenient access to shopping and amenities too.

The area North of downtown Mishawaka, is an old immigrant neighborhood. It is relatively safe, safer then the Haney avenue area at least, and the home prices are in the same range as Haney Avenue. Check the url to see what I am talking about.

Real Estate & Homes For Sale - 96 Homes | Zillow

Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
The area around Haney & Miami in South Bend is not that bad, but not that great. It is a typical, industrial era neighborhood. It is very conveniently located, you can get downtown within a few minutes and you are close to both Ivy Tech and IUSB if higher education is important.

However, the neighborhood directly to your West is a low-income neighborhood, with a high crime rate. The neighborhood you are looking in has a median family income of $35,000, but the neighborhood next door has a median family income of $15,000. That wouldn't be a big deal if the lower income neighborhood also didn't have such a high crime rate. One great thing about the neighborhood you are looking at is the price of houses, which are generally in the $30-60k range. However, if you put money into renovations, don't expect to get much back. Safety is always going to be a big issue though, living so close to a high crime area, so please keep that in mind.

I would need to know where in Elkhart you are looking to relocate to, to give you info about that neighborhood.

Do not count out Mishawaka, there are similar priced homes there and though the schools are not that great, the neighborhoods are generally safer. You still have convenient access to shopping and amenities too.

The area North of downtown Mishawaka, is an old immigrant neighborhood. It is relatively safe, safer then the Haney avenue area at least, and the home prices are in the same range as Haney Avenue. Check the url to see what I am talking about.

Real Estate & Homes For Sale - 96 Homes | Zillow
It would be the area around wolf street in elkhart. haven't been there in around 10 or so years. I used to live on haney and yeah it was a nice location just didnt know how much it changed. I worry more about the crime now because I have a wife and kid so there safety is my number one priority. and thank you for the link I am looking at them right now

Old 03-01-2015, 06:38 PM

Btw I am a tech guy, a software developer and am going to be working closer to elkhart. but only reason I asked bout south bend is because it is remotely familiar. as I said I just haven't been there in for ever.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:33 AM

144 posts, read 342,622 times
I would have to echo what Jericho has said. Area isn't bad but you are very close to a low income high crime area. I would say Mishawaka or Osceolla (sp) if you want similar pricing but lower crime. Not too many areas of Mishawaka that you can go wrong with. If you plan on using the public school system look for areas that fall into the Penn-Harris school district as it is the hands down the best school district in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana