Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,708 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My husband is considering going to IU for his grad degree. I haven't been able to get a sense of the job market in Bloomington from Craigslist.
Does anyone know what the typical payrate is for an experienced worker with project coordination/admin-type skills? And do employers typically offer health insurance?
We've just had a baby and my husband would probably be working part-time, so I'm concerned about making ends meet and insuring the family.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
I'm sorry I cannot answer your questions about payrates specifically or even insurance. I'm just not familiar enough with that particular field. One thing I would suggest is to visit the Indiana University website. Somewhere on there is a section for employment. Because it's a public univeristy, they post pay rates. It should give you some idea.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 16,116 times
I am 55 years old and completed my first BA at IU in 04. Great university (which employs about half of the town) and a great town. So great, in fact, that many grads stay on in town working at jobs that are way below their educational level. Many younger grads vie for restaurant, bar, and coffee shop jobs with the already burgeoning student body.

Since there are no rivers, major highways, or large airports in the Bloomington area, manufacturing is not enticed to locate there. Service industries, as elsewhere, employ a large number the locals. Look to the universities web site for info re employment. Best wishes for success in a beautiful and laid back part of Indiana.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:49 PM

22 posts, read 98,371 times
Frankly, the job market in Bloomington stinks. I have lived here most of my life and have been fortunate to find a good job recently. However, work in the admin field is probably easy to find and I would anticipate a pay range from $20-$30k per year for full time with benefits. If you go to the IU website, you can check job listings through the University. There are usually a ton of admin jobs there.
As a side note, IU is a great school and the town is awesome.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:16 AM

26 posts, read 172,281 times
I attended college there (3 degrees ) and then lived there afterwards in the 80s-90s. Part of that time I commuted to a job Indianapolis, as many people in Bloomington and Martinsville do.

The old adage was that you need a master's degree to wait tables in Bloomington. The quality of life there is so much greater than most of Indiana that people just don't want to leave. Hence, the job market is indeed tight.

The largest employer in Bloomington is the university.

Good luck. Its a really cool place to live.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,708 times
Default Thanks for the info!

Sounds like it may be a bit of a challenge to get a good job in Bloomington. Thanks for the info, it will help us decide what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana