Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:47 PM

818 posts, read 2,172,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Tragic ... just tragic. Many missing, several dead. 70 degree weather in winter yields these storms.
Not always, it's more the differential in temperatures, as temps in Chicago were in the lower 40s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:06 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Not always, it's more the differential in temperatures, as temps in Chicago were in the lower 40s.
The weather in Chicago is not important to this thread.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
I don't recall tornadoes when a temperature differential from 40 degrees to 0 degrees occurs. It also has to do with atmospheric "lift" and usually moist gulf air.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,273 times
( Preeti Kaur) am from Sikh Community and we want to help with food, clothing. we want to come out there and help them. specially.henrysville, indiana and marysville, indiana....please let me know my phone number is 3177487008 and my email is preeti84@ymail.com
Please let me know ASAP.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:21 AM

7 posts, read 13,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I know someone who lives over in the Charlestown area. Did they receive any damage from the storm?
I live in Charlestown, plus I am employed by the county 911 operations center. All the storm damage took a path north of the City of Charlestown for the majority. Some baseball sized hail in the northern part of the city, but as a whole came out really well. In my neighborhood, just a few limbs down and that was about it.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:17 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,913 times
Default Volunteer work and donations

A couple of sources for info about volunteer work and donations in Southern Indiana:

Louisville Metro United Way Metro United Way Home Page

WDRB news How to help Kentucky and Indiana storm victims - WDRB 41 Louisville - News, Weather, Sports Community

United Way is registering volunteers (individuals or groups) at 723 Spring Street in Jeffersonville, IN.

Donations are accepted at 700 Patrol Road in Jeffersonville. This location no longer accepts clothing but other locations might. News last night said toiletries such as toothpaste, toilet paper, shampoo are needed, in addition to food.

Metro United Way also has a 2-1-1 phone number to give info about volunteering and donations.

Unique items requested are plastic tubs and totes and pet food/supplies. WDRB has a list of locations taking pet donations. Totes and tubs can be dropped off at Henryville Presbyterian Church 106 N. Ferguson Street in Henryville, IN.

The Community Foundation of Southern Indiana is accepting monetary donations to help Clark County, IN towns affected by the storms. https://www.cfsouthernindiana.com/De...x?sitemapid=18

Of course these are just a few examples; dozens of businesses and organizations, like churches and schools, are getting volunteer groups together and taking donations. Last Sunday I was fortunate enough to be part of a church group that helped clean up debris and garbage from a family's home in Henryville. Even early on I saw the community hard at work helping themselves and their neighbors rise up from the rubble. A lot of strong people live there. The residents I have met stay positive and don't waste time feeling sorry for themselves; they put the troubles and tragedy of others ahead of what problems they're going through.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 PM

807 posts, read 2,516,252 times
Thoughts and prayers to all the victims! I watched this outbreak while it was happening last Friday,and it was just awful.

I've actually been right through Henryville before. We took a trip up US 31 to see the sights instead of blasting down the interstate. I just remember all the little towns were really neat! It's such a shame to see such loss of life and property.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:36 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartfan44 View Post
I live in Charlestown, plus I am employed by the county 911 operations center. All the storm damage took a path north of the City of Charlestown for the majority. Some baseball sized hail in the northern part of the city, but as a whole came out really well. In my neighborhood, just a few limbs down and that was about it.
Ya, I contacted by friend Don who lives there and he said the damage was just a few miles up the road in Marysville. That was awfully close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana