Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 AM

31 posts, read 101,919 times

Advertisements

I am just curious about schools (are they in town), stores (what stores are there or nearby), scenery (hilly, flat, trees)?
Thanks in advance,
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 06:29 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4change View Post
I am just curious about schools (are they in town), stores (what stores are there or nearby), scenery (hilly, flat, trees)?
Thanks in advance,
Jen
I have family their, It has been many years since I have been back.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:25 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Info from the mothership:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Crawfo...e-Indiana.html

It's home to Wabash College, an all men's college.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:08 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
My girlfriend grew up there....there's not much going on, job or otherwise. Most of the employers from decades ago are long gone, most of the economy is factories, and even those are gone. Most people make their living in the outlying counties, or live in Lafayette, or Indianapolis. I don't see why anybody would choose to relocate there, particularly having Lafayette 30 miles north. From what the g/f tells me everybody went to Lafayette for shopping and dining options on the weekends, health care services and even education (Purdue), so it's really a satellite town of Laf. Some people work in indy and commute from crawfordsville, mainly for having grown up there and not wanting the increased cost of living of indy. Then again I know people who commute from Lafayette to indy (crazy but to each their own). So I would look at Lafayette twice (maybe three times lol) before considering C-ville.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Well, girls can't go to the college in Crawfordsville ...

Old 09-02-2007, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the replies.
We are selling our house in CA. which is in a small town. Looking for similar with some more amenities. We have been looking at the Bloomington area, as well as NW Illinois and E Wisconsin. My husband is from Chicago and would like to move within driving (long okay)/train distance without being in Chicago. These areas have appealled to us the most, we are just trying to get more info.
Thanks again, Jen

Old 09-02-2007, 03:36 PM

Have you thought about Harbor country in Michigan? It's a good drive to Chicago.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:28 AM

No, I am not familiar but I will look into that.
Thanks, jen

Old 09-11-2007, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 9,118 times
I am originally from a town that is about 30 minutes from Cville, and personally I would never move there. It is not a bad town, but there isn't much in the way of jobs or shopping. Wabash College is an amazing school, but if you are a woman this presents a bit of a problem as it is all male. I don't know what the situation is in the area you are from, but where I am from even Crawfordsville would be an upgrade. I now live in Bloomington and I can tell you that it is amazing. I love this town! There is so much to do here and it is so beautiful. It is quite a distance from Chicago, but I think it would be worth it.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:09 PM

8 posts, read 40,441 times
Post Crawfordsville... I know it well

I live near crawfordsville in a small town of darlington.. and i love it here.

Schools.....The schools are great and have good academic standards. They even teach kids character in the local schools. The school system here is the reason we moved here 6 years ago and is the one reason we are taking my husbands new job location so hard. There is also 2 colleges and I know that at least the North Montgomery students are premitted to start at the local Ivy Tech during their Jr and Sr years if desired.

Crime..... Really there isnt much crime. It is a pretty save area even if you live in town.

Shopping..... there are 5 grocery stores(kroger is 2 of them and super walmart is another). Clothing is super walmart, cato, or goody's for the most part

Food on the go.... too many to anounce but some include.. culvers, wendy's, pizza hut, pappa johns, taco bell, kfc, 2 burgerking's, dq, 2 mcdonalds, arby's, steak and shake, applebees, 3 subways, and buffalo wild wings opening soon..there are also several hometown restraunts, chinese, and even a few mexican anlong with 2 or 3 more upscale establishments.

Entertainment.... There is 1 bowling alley with an arcade, a cinema, and several meseums.

Housing..... very low housing.. my 3 bedroom house listed at $65k and is a newer modular on over 1 acre with many extras with very low taxes (under $500/yr) so housing is very very very resonable.

here are more sites for you to look at

Montgomery County Visitors & Convention Bureau ........ school stats and county stats
www.journalreview.com ..... local newspaper
MIBOR | Metropolitan Indianapolis Board of REALTORS® .................. realestate finder
REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale ................ realestate finder

you will need these zipcodes to find property...
Crawfordsville... 47933
Darlington........ 47940 (north east of c-ville about 7 miles)
Ladoga............ 47954 (south of c-ville around 7-10 miles)

Crawfordsville is within 30 minutes of Lafayette a larger city and home of Purdue Boilermakers (north of c-ville)

Darlington is within 30 minutes or 4 larger cities (Lafayette, Frankfort, Lebanon, and nw Indianapolis)

check maps and you'll see that highways are dense in this area and you can get to your destinations without much problems while living in a great comunity where people still respect each other... we love it so much we commute to lafayette 3 times a week and indianapolis 5 times a week... but please dont take my word because i'd like you to look at those sites and judge for yourself.

good luck in your move and feel free to email me if you have questions.

Last edited by cma47940; 09-16-2007 at 10:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana