Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 06:43 AM

14 posts, read 55,067 times

Advertisements

Might be moving to the area. Coming from Kentucky and have a few questions. I see that the housing is very reasonable, but how much are the taxes? In Kentucky they are low... but housing is more expensive. Are Plainfield and Avon good schools? I have a son in Middle School and is very good at athletics. Also how are the roads in the winter go west out of these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 01:22 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,793,016 times
The property tax situation is in total flux right now. Some counties haven't even sent out bills yet, some are being reassesed completely. So giving a good answer to the tax question is kind of hard at this point.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 13,881 times
I grew up in Avon and can say the schools are very good. I'm not shure about housing being reasonable. I think its very expencive to live in Avon or Plainfield, thats why I moved to Indianapolis

Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 9,071 times
Default Avon Plainfield very nice

I'm from Kentucky and believe me looove Kentucky ; it will always be my home . Due to my husband's career, we are in this area. We chose it, since he does a lot of flying with his job. The airport is far enough away it's not an issue, but it is close enough that it's only about 15-20 minutes tops to get there depending on time of day. So that's a perk! We have three children, and Avon/Plainfield are both affordable with wonderful schools. It depends on who you talk to who will say which school is better-- Our particular elementary school in Avon was 9th in the state last year a perfect 10 on greatschools.net (which i encourage you to check out) Due to the growth , there has been a new elementary ( state of the art) built next to the one I was mentioning. There is a lot of growth here, and there has been some redistricting ( sp). So I'm not sure how that will shake out -- I'd like to see the data next year for ISTEP scores etc-- Real estate is going to be much more affordable than say Lexington or Louisville area depending on where you live in KY ( but also may sell slower due to lots of inventory etc etc). Indiana has been inundated even more so than KY with neighborhood after subdivision being built -- some call them vinyl villages. At any rate the real estate market is slow here , if you need to resell quickly you might not break even but could. You can get quite a lot of house for the money for say 250K- for 500K you can get a very nice home here. The taxes are a little higher here than in surrounding counties or so I have heard. Now there's been a huge tax issue (as someone else noted) going on here on property taxes ( check indystar.com for info)-- there's a lot of controversy and the neighboring marion co. taxes were sky high increasing as much as 300% ( but a reassessment has been ordered etc etc) . I dont' understand it all---Hendricks co. ( plainfield, avon, brownsburg, danville etc) didn't increase as much but did see an increase. You will pay more property taxes here than in Lexington or Louisville, but you can get a lot more house for the money. For example a 3000 sq ft house here for 250 might be about 4K in taxes for the year ( 2 k paid twice a year)-- As far as for your children, it's a wonderful place to raise a family at least we think so so far -- There are a lot of amenities to being in a friendly growing community like this. Plainfield has an out of this world aquatic center that rivals some amusement parks with its water park/- Splash Island-- I joined relatively inexpensively as an avon resident, and plainfield residents get an additional discounts. If you live in a neighboring community I believe that admission is free -- It's a glorified YMCA very very nice-- There's the Children's museum downtown which is outstanding offering many programs and exhibits and a very reasonable family membership ( check out their website)-- The zoo is also nice and boasts a new dolphin pavillion as well as a shark exhibit ( which we haven't seen yet but hear good things)-- We have some lovely town parks as well in the avon/plainfield area. in 05 an upscale mall was built called "Metropolis" --- At any rate I've told you prob more than you wanted to know-- good luck in making your decision to move here- I think you'll be happy here hth

Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 9,071 times
oh i forgot to say regarding snow- not as big of an issue here- we have a lot more salt trucks than pretty much anywhere in KY lol- and it is a lot more flat here, so that helps too- School doesn't get cancelled too often but does occasionally- you might want one 4wd vehicle in case, but it's not a huge issue really. being from ky, i know it is a much bigger deal there to deal with snow-- here people really do not slow down for it much at all , unless it's really bad-- -- -as far as sports, i'm not a big help on that. Avon HS boasts a nationally ranked marching band which is awesome- I believe the highschool sports are strong as well or so i've heard - not sure on intermediate/ jr high level. soccer- wrestling, football, basketball are all offered i know offhand- check out the avon corporation website for more info and email admin etc-- hth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: