Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 AM

32 posts, read 145,264 times

Advertisements

I am looking into info on Bloomington. I know it is a college town, says it has good public transit, but what about affordability? Is it rowdy or more reserved than other towns similar to it? What about housing, schools, transit? Is it good to raise families in? What are the better areas in town and what areas to avoid? Any info and experiences would be helpful. THX

Last edited by where oh where; 08-08-2007 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
Well, first there are not really any areas to avoid in terms of safety. Like any town, some areas have nicer housing than others. Bloomington tends to be a bit higher priced than the average IN town. It's not particularly rowdy, even when the students are back in session. Obviously if you lived in a neighborhood adjacent to campus, it's going to be filled with students and will be louder than the typical family neighborhood.

I live out in the county so public transit is not an option for me really, but the city and IU systems are pretty decent.

Schools are pretty good. Go to MCCSC to find the names of the local schools.

It's an excellent place for families! Lots to do and many unique opportunities because of IU.

I'm on my way out, but suggest you search this forum for previous posts about Bloomington.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 PM

Thank you for that rrah! I am still looking through the threads for extended info as you suggested, and haven't found too many. You said you lived in the county as opposed to the city of Bloomington. What is the difference?
I have tried to PM others on info for cities of interest but for some reason don't get replies back.
Anyway, I appreciate your reply.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:35 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
rrah is a great resource for Bloomington. Just look for more posts by he or she.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:23 AM

Well thank you domergurl!

What I meant was that I don't live within the city limits of Bloomington. I live in Monroe County, but my official address is Bloomington. For us it means lower real estate taxes, living on acreage, and slightly longer drives (not true for everyone though). Our children attend Bloomington schools. I pay a little extra for the city park services (rarely use these days though given I have 2 teenagers). We have a sheriff, not the city police. We do have fire service about a mile from our house.

Feel free to PM me if you would like.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:14 AM

30 posts, read 124,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by where oh where View Post
I am looking into info on Bloomington. I know it is a college town, says it has good public transit, but what about affordability? Is it rowdy or more reserved than other towns similar to it? What about housing, schools, transit? Is it good to raise families in? What are the better areas in town and what areas to avoid? Any info and experiences would be helpful. THX
I also live in Bloomington, and can help you with information if you need it.
Bloomington is a college town, so if you are renting you will no doubt pay more than other Indiana cities. If you are buying a home not near campus, I think that the prices are overall equal to other parts of the state.
Bloomington otherwise is affordable...it has all the qualities in life you would expect in a college town. It only has around 70k people living here, but we get Big Ten sports (basketball is huge here) Broadway plays at the IU Auditorium as well as name entertainment either at the auditorium or at one of the local music sites where there are some excellent home grown talent. IU music school is one of the best in the world, so there are world class concerts at the MAC. And the natural beauty is hard to beat with Lake Monroe around 5 miles away, Griffey Lake and Lake Lemon also close by. Yellowwood Forest up the road as well as Brown County State Park. Lots of wildlife, fresh air clean water and if you like outdoors excellent hiking etc.
The downer is winter, which goes from mid November to mid March. Really gloomy for most of it, but that is also when the Indiana Hoosiers play basketball, and when the Indianapolis Colts play football.
All in all, an excellent place to live.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:36 AM

Thank you all! What areas of Bloomington are best? Is the Eastside best for families or the Western side? Volunteer opportunities accessible? Newspapers and classifieds to look for rental housing as this is what I will be doing? Are there any 'welcome' clubs that would help newbies like me to adjust better? I have so many questions. I appreciate the invitations to PM and will be doing that! THANK YOU!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:35 AM

For classifieds check out the Herald Times. HeraldTimesOnline.com - Bloomington, Indiana newspaper

To read the paper you need a subscription, but I think you can go to the ads without one.

Plenty of volunteer opportunities. The library keeps a list.

You might also check out Bloomington Indiana CVB : Hotels, Attractions and Travel Information Loads of info on the site with a newcomers guide and other information.

There is a Newcomers Club in town. I went to a meeting or 2 when I first moved here. If I was retired or my children were very young, it might have been worthwhile for me to keep going. Many of the activities at that time were geared towards those to age groups. Since I was neither, it wasn't my thing.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:48 PM

30 posts, read 124,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by where oh where View Post
Thank you all! What areas of Bloomington are best? Is the Eastside best for families or the Western side? Volunteer opportunities accessible? Newspapers and classifieds to look for rental housing as this is what I will be doing? Are there any 'welcome' clubs that would help newbies like me to adjust better? I have so many questions. I appreciate the invitations to PM and will be doing that! THANK YOU!
I live on the eastside, and there are some very nice family neighborhoods here. There are also some nice, newer ones on the south side, but the west side is a little older, but more moderately priced homes.
Volunteering is big here, there is even an organization that lists all the volunteer opportunities available, and you can pick and choose what you want to do.
I think that rrah answered your other questions very well.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:53 PM

22 posts, read 84,398 times
Bloomington is a nice city. Yes, it has college kids but the University offers a lot of cultural activities, especially in a town of 70,000 people. The I.U. music center is one of the best in the world. Housing is affordable. The weather is muggy in the summer and health care isn't great but all in all not a bad midwestern town. Moderator cut: URL removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-02-2008 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana