Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 01:14 PM

30 posts, read 121,489 times

Advertisements

hi, I just moved to Bloomington in January and I'm wondering what I can expect for mosquitoes as it warms up? I sat outside on Saturday night and found two bites when I got up on Sunday morning. Are there a lot of mosquitoes here? Any favorite things to do to keep them at bay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 PM

28 posts, read 33,908 times
Living in Indy heres 2 rules stay indoors during Dawn/Dusk times as most of the mosquitos are out then. FYI just buy some off and it shouldn't be much of an issue. Dark Clothing is best to wear and being fully dressed if possible also helps. When you get bit just rub some anti-itching lotion like caledryll or however you spell it on the bite and youll be fine. 1 rule DO NOT SCRATCH THE BITE! hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 9,632 times
I've lived in Bloomington for 4-years this month. No problem with mosquitoes. Had no problem with any bugs except those Asian Beetles for one fall year...it was terrible! Living in a dark colored apartment or house prevents the Asian Beetles. Do you like Bloomington? I don't, just wondering what you thought!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,529,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryp3177 View Post
hi, I just moved to Bloomington in January and I'm wondering what I can expect for mosquitoes as it warms up? I sat outside on Saturday night and found two bites when I got up on Sunday morning. Are there a lot of mosquitoes here? Any favorite things to do to keep them at bay?
Yes there are skeeters in Bloomington. But since they ARE in Bloomington they're very educated skeeters!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:32 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,154,697 times
Ok, let me barge into this thread. I grew up in Indiana. I now live within a 20 minute drive of the Everglades. First thing: Do NOT wear dark clothing! Mosquitos are attracted to dark, shady areas, rather than sunny, light areas. Wear light colored or neutral colored clothing. I have found that Cutters Backwoods formula to be the best. You need a repellant that contains DEET. Hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 AM

797 posts, read 2,346,379 times
Mosquitos can be bad in southern Indiana, but you should be okay as long as you're staying away from wetland type areas around dawn/dusk.

I just saw a commercial yesterday for a new Off! product that you basically hang off your belt or something instead of spraying all over yourself. If anyone has used or plans on using one of these, let us know how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana