Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times

Advertisements

I headed out to New Castle yesterday to visit the hall of fame and it was great. It was a little sad though because my girlfriend and I were the only ones there. We had the entire museum all to ourselves.

I was just wondering, has anyone here also been to visit this place? If not, and you have even a little bit of interest in either basketball or Indiana history, I'd say it's a great way to spend 2 or 3 hours. Admission is only $5 per person. We also drove out to Knightstown to try to see the gym they used to film the movie Hoosiers, but someone in a wedding dress was walking inside to get married when we drove by so we decided not to intrude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 PM

52 posts, read 191,906 times
I've been there several times. As a former resident of New Castle, it was pretty much a requirement! I agree that it is a great way to spend an afternoon. In front of the museum are bricks inscribed with names. My late brother in law, who was a member of New Castle's 1964 semi-state team, is inscribed on one of those bricks. Next to the museum at the top of the hill is the New Castle Fieldhouse. It was built in 1959 and is the largest high school basketball gym in the world; seating 9325 spectators. It is open most days. Definitely worth a visit.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
Saw that on the list of largest gyms at the museum. I was always amazed how big our gym was in my own small Indiana town, capacity 4500 for a town that TODAY is still only around 4000 people total. And that's not for a consolidated school system. There are two other slightly smaller schools in the county with their own schools and gyms.

Anyway, the museum was cool. I saw the president was there not long ago. They had the $20 bill he used to pay the admission for himself and a few of his staff as well as an autographed ball and some other things. One of the workers there was telling me about getting the call that he was stopping by and how the secret service set up snipers across the street and all that stuff. Regardless of your politics, that's still kind of neat. Lots of other great memorabilia and things too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: