Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 07:29 AM

7 posts, read 53,873 times

Advertisements

Sorry, we would like our daughter to come to Illinois with us on our relocation. She will stay here in Colorado for her first year of College. But, would love to see and hear what Illinois has to offer her.

Music Education and Orchestral Conducting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 6,704 times
DePaul University in Chicago. Especially strong in conducting and classical performing. Also an incredible Jazz band. Many DePaulians go on to gigs in classical composing and have the advantage of players from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra as instructors.
Good Luck,
Susan

Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 PM

200 posts, read 683,864 times
I am a grad w/ Music Ed degree from U of IL and LOVED IT!! What fun - the Marching Illini, super orchestras and expert training (IMO)..... and received a job (fresh out of college) as band director in Des Moines and then moved to FL 8 yrs later to become a VP of a major music company (I wrote the entire educ program AND trained teachers)...so I guess I am a little partial to ILLINI. They taught me WELL!! My exp was SUPERB!! The football team was not the best when I was there - when we lost a game we had to wear our band hats backwards as we marched back to the band bldg at the end of the game - We wore them so much backwards that when we DID WHEN wearing the hats forward felt so strange! But the bball team was ALWAYS dynamite!! Made many true friends - great exp. So my vote is U of I - still in touch with 3 of my fellow Music Ed roommates and I grad a LOOOONNNNGGGGG time ago (1976). 2 of the 3 are still teaching music, too!!!!! So you tell me - great exp, great edu and still teaching music with passion!!

Old 05-31-2007, 12:02 AM

11 posts, read 60,189 times
I am a former Music Ed student turned business administration. However I did do a lot of research and U of I is tops in music Ed. As far as orchestral conducting I couldn't tell you.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:34 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
U of I is great. For a smaller school, look at Millikin University

Old 11-09-2007, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 30,267 times
Default Music Ed in Illinios

Hi,

I noticed your post - but it is several months old. Is your daughter still interested in moving to Illinois? ...

VanderCook Collge of Music is located in Chicago IL - and is the only college that has a sole focus of Music Education. It is a very small, very private college with only 120 students in the program, and they accept 40 students each year. Every student learns to play, perform, and teach all 17 instruments, and choir and conducting.

They all leave with a Bachelors in Music Education - with a certificate for General Music Ed K-12, Band Director, Choir Director, and Orchestra Director. They have a 100% graduation rate --- since VanderCook is known nationwide as one of the leaders in music ed.

They also have the largest masters program in the country which is held over the summer. If you, or your daughter would like any more information -- I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Good luck -- I hope your move was successful.
Sincerely,
Patty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois