Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 05:36 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Rural Kentucky and West Virginia would look wealthy by comparison if the Chicago area wasn’t subsidizing the rest of the state.
While I do agree that the wealthiest suburbs of Chicago share a disproportionate amount of tax burden of the state, most downstate would really more resemble Iowa (and it generally does especially central Illinois) based on its population, much of its income, and its massive agricultural base. Then of course there’s the Metro East, which might arguably be little different, as it is tied to STL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 06:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Here’s the thing: this notion that Downstate Illinois is sending money to Chicago is *competely* false. The Chicago area sends disproportionately more money with its higher incomes downstate than the other way around. I went to college in Champaign and have a lot of affinity for that area, but those outside of the Chicago area really need to disabuse themselves of the wrong-headed thinking that Chicago is somehow taking their tax dollars. To the contrary, without the Chicago area, Downstate Illinois would have even fewer dollars than they do today. Rural Kentucky and West Virginia would look wealthy by comparison if the Chicago area wasn’t subsidizing the rest of the state.
U of I has always been among the elite public universities in the nation. Without Chicago and the metro area, its status would have been considerably less. Look, our neighboring states have terrific flagship universities in Iowa City and Bloomington, but neither of those schools is on the level that Illinois is.

Meanwhile, where do you find the second best public university in IL? In Chicago...with UIC.

(for the record, I started college at Iowa and then spent the next three years at UIC. I love and respect both schools....but I know they are not in a class with U of I)

Old 07-22-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
U of I has always been among the elite public universities in the nation. Without Chicago and the metro area, its status would have been considerably less. Look, our neighboring states have terrific flagship universities in Iowa City and Bloomington, but neither of those schools is on the level that Illinois is.
Maybe, maybe not; case-and-point: UW-Madison, which is for the most part on par with UIUC and in a considerably different tier than Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, etc.

Then you have to consider that without Chicago, most of the flagship schools in the Midwest would have lesser status, as the Chicago metro sends lots of its college-aged to these schools.

You would change so many aspects across the entirety of the Midwest if Chicago had never been.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Maybe, maybe not; case-and-point: UW-Madison, which is for the most part on par with UIUC and in a considerably different tier than Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, etc.

Then you have to consider that without Chicago, most of the flagship schools in the Midwest would have lesser status, as the Chicago metro sends lots of its college-aged to these schools.

You would change so many aspects across the entirety of the Midwest if Chicago had never been.
I completely agree with you that UW and UI are peer universities. That’s why I didn’t mention it.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I completely agree with you that UW and UI are peer universities. That’s why I didn’t mention it.
...Right, but doesn't that fly in the face of your theory that a world-class university that separates itself from others in the region requires Chicago and its taxpayers to be so and to do so? I.e.:

Quote:
Without Chicago and the metro area, its status would have been considerably less.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:45 AM

100 posts, read 88,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I think the real downstate people are hours south of Chicago where they dont even really benefit from chicago yet the laws and rules in the state are shaped by chicago. look at gun laws you have people in southern illinois who live a rural lifestyle but their gun laws are shaped with big city chicago in mind. same thing with a lot of other social issues and thigns as well. You also have cultural differences where liberal chicago is like another world from some areas downstate
You nailed it. I live in the southern tip of Illinois. Throw a rock south from here and it will land in Kentucky. We are closer to Atlanta than we are to Chicago and yet we have to live with the high taxes and the stupid big city rules because of Chicago.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:54 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
You nailed it. I live in the southern tip of Illinois. Throw a rock south from here and it will land in Kentucky. We are closer to Atlanta than we are to Chicago and yet we have to live with the high taxes and the stupid big city rules because of Chicago.
What’s stopping you from simply hopping on I-24 and moving to KY?

Old 08-13-2018, 10:39 AM

100 posts, read 88,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
What’s stopping you from simply hopping on I-24 and moving to KY?
I have seriously thought about it, but we have a lot invested here in our home; plus, my sister, who just lost her husband moved in next door and we enjoy being able to walk across the yard and spend time with her.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:34 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:

Actually, you're not.

According to Google, Chicago is closer by less than 10 miles but I'm familiar with the area and I totally get your point.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:51 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
I have seriously thought about it, but we have a lot invested here in our home; plus, my sister, who just lost her husband moved in next door and we enjoy being able to walk across the yard and spend time with her.
I get that part, but what exactly are these ‘big city rules’ that prohibit you from otherwise enjoying life or earning a living(?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois