Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2018, 01:08 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
My daughter really is not looking at U of I. Sure, it seems like an academically respected school...but it seems to have a reputation as a party school. It's also pretty expensive.

But what are those other schools you are referring to? As a guy that has only lived in Illinois for a year, I don't recognize them.
If you have the opportunity, UIUC is one of the best public institutions in the US, and all college is what you make of it—if your child is at all interest in the sciences and/or engineering, it’s hard to beat. Public out of state universities are all pretty expensive, so beware.

The others are Illinois State (ISU), Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) or Carbondale (SIUC), Northwestern (NU), and University of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 01:14 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
If you have the opportunity, UIUC is one of the best public institutions in the US, and all college is what you make of it—if your child is at all interest in the sciences and/or engineering, it’s hard to beat. Public out of state universities are all pretty expensive, so beware.

The others are Illinois State (ISU), Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) or Carbondale (SIUC), Northwestern (NU), and University of Chicago.
Ah...ok, Edwardsville I've heard of. Her boyfriend is looking to go there. I think she looked at Carbondale..but as for the others...she is adamantly opposed to anything north of I-80.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:00 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
This thread brings up a question for me:

I've already brought up the U of I and how heavily its enrollment is made up of Chicago area kids. Illinois is our state's flagship public university.....but Chicagoland students don't go there because it is located downstate (interestingly, back many years ago, U of i was referred to as "downstate" in the Chicago area, as in "I'm going downstate next year')...they're there for the school.

The University of Illinois system is made up of three institutions, one relatively small (UIS) and two large universities (Illinois, UIC).

I've already discussed that a huge number of Chicago area kids go to Illinois. And, being there, they build up some familiarity to downstate IL.

But is there any "reverse" on this? UIC, by virtually all measures, is the state's second highest ranking public university and, I believe, the second largest in enrollment of our state schools. My question is this: how much is UIC an attraction for students in downstate IL? On this one, I have no idea, but given that the school has a very good reputation, that it is located in Chicago, a global city of renown, and gives downstate kids the opportunity to go to such a school with the relatively low in-state tuition...it would seem to me that UIC should be a popular choice of IL kids away from the metro area (but frankly I don't believe that it is, that that many downstaters are attracted to it).

I guess I'm suggesting that through Chicago kids going downstate (Champaign, Normal, Carbondale, etc.) and through downstate kids coming to the Chgo Area for school (UIC foremost, of course,but even schools like NEIU), do we build any sort of bonds between metro Chicago and the rest of the state.
When I was applying for college (granted we're talking about a decade ago at this point), UIC didn't hit my radar. Looking back on it it's rather odd that I didn't hear more about it considering I eventually became laser focused on moving to Chicago and going to college there, and I had even applied to UIUC. The school, even when I had already started at Loyola, has a commuter school reputation (Or at least it did). That wasn't something I was interested in when I was looking at colleges, although I won't pretend I had rigorous standards when looking at schools back then. Loyola managed to completely sell me thanks to their lakeshore campus alone.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:02 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Ah...ok, Edwardsville I've heard of. Her boyfriend is looking to go there. I think she looked at Carbondale..but as for the others...she is adamantly opposed to anything north of I-80.
Carbondale is the flagship campus, but Edwardsville has rapidly gained on it. There's talk of possibly separating the campuses at this point due to funding discrepancies between the two.

In terms of day to day life, Edwardsville is the far nicer city over Carbondale and it's only about 30 minutes away from St. Louis.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:11 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Actually, you're not.

According to Google, Chicago is closer by less than 10 miles but I'm familiar with the area and I totally get your point.
I don't know how you can pinpoint a "rock throw". The Ohio River, which forms the IL-KY border, proceeds in a northeasterly direction, and depending on where one lives along the river, the distance from either Chicago or Atlanta can vary as much as 50 miles. So his "rock throw" could be anywhere along the river, and he could possibly be closer to Atlanta.

A better analogy has always been to compare the Mississippi state line, which is around 200 miles, compared to about 360 for Chicago.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:28 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
I lived in the Chicago burbs for 16 of my 65 years. The years previous and now, have been in the southern tip of the state. I could've chosen to remain in the Chicago area, but didn't. I have no dislike for Chicago, it was just never "home" for me.

One thing that I perceive among many Chicagolanders, is it's like one has to meet a certain qualification of intelligence and cultural literacy to be allowed to live there. And somehow, all of us downstaters lust to be able to live there but can't, because we're inferior beings of some sort. Also, there's an implied jealousy, that doesn't exist.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:15 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
One thing that I perceive among many Chicagolanders, is it's like one has to meet a certain qualification of intelligence and cultural literacy to be allowed to live there. And somehow, all of us downstaters lust to be able to live there but can't, because we're inferior beings of some sort. Also, there's an implied jealousy, that doesn't exist.
I think you're just hearing from a vocal minority. When I moved to Chicago, I expected the place to be full of obnoxious yuppies or liberals, but the reality is that more than half of the city is filled with residents who live below the poverty line, another 25% are working class, and the other 25% are the obnoxious yuppies/liberals I previously mentioned.

Actually, I think the city of Chicago is fairly representative of the entire state. The north side represents higher income areas like Champaign-Urbana and the Chicago burbs, the south and west sides represent declining and low income areas, and the working class neighborhoods like Jefferson Park represent everything else.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I think you're just hearing from a vocal minority. When I moved to Chicago, I expected the place to be full of obnoxious yuppies or liberals, but the reality is that more than half of the city is filled with residents who live below the poverty line, another 25% are working class, and the other 25% are the obnoxious yuppies/liberals I previously mentioned.

Actually, I think the city of Chicago is fairly representative of the entire state. The north side represents higher income areas like Champaign-Urbana and the Chicago burbs, the south and west sides represent declining and low income areas, and the working class neighborhoods like Jefferson Park represent everything else.
So, like just about any other group....it may be that the ones that tend to be active on internet forums tend to be a bit more intense than the average member of whatever group they represent? My own moniker is a tongue-in-cheek poke at that.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:30 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
So, like just about any other group....it may be that the ones that tend to be active on internet forums tend to be a bit more intense than the average member of whatever group they represent? My own moniker is a tongue-in-cheek poke at that.
ROTFL

Seems accurate considering how much posting you have in the religion sub-forum.

God and guns(!)

Old 08-28-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
ROTFL

Seems accurate considering how much posting you have in the religion sub-forum.

God and guns(!)
Does "damba" mean "stalker" in another language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois