Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,934 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a postion in Kankakee at a hospital and will be moving from Plainfield with two elementary school aged children. When I did a search on Kankakee at citydata, I saw mostly older threads in which Kankakee was considered kind of dumpy, Bradley a bit better, and Bourbonais higher tier. Schools I'm assuming follow suit.

Are there some positives about the area? I will likely rent first and then buy later, but on my starting salary I don't think I can afford the nicer areas. It would be nice if I could get close enough to the hospital to bike there, but it's near the river and I don't know if those are afordable areas.

So far, I've noticed that they have a nice YMCA, a busy Saturday Farmers Market (at least it looked busy when I drove past), and it seemed like the Bourbonais-Bradley park district had many activities and a museum. (I haven't checked out the Kankakee park district yet.) The libarary in Kankakee looked HUGE, but I didn't go in to see if they have kids programs or a nice collection.

Has the area changed in the last few years at all? Those other threads make it sound like my kids will be shot in school and I will be mugged all the time. I'd love to be able to live in the more 'Plainfield-like' areas, but I had to snap up the first job offer to come along since I've been out of work for a long while. When I drove around, it didn't seem as horrid as that, though parts did seem run down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:36 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
When I looked at the stats I noticed the white population 51% followed by black, latino, chinese and other. It is south Chicago bedroom community.

There is a lovely split river. Power boating on upper river and canoeing on the lower river. And a river walk. Kankakee is not far from shopping in Chicago. I would think Cosco on S. Harlem would be closest - but I could be wrong. .

Kankakee is home to 50's actor Fred McMurray. There are some attractions like the old milk barn. Google Kankakee, Il and pull up the city website. and also Kankakee on Wikipedia.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 PM

179 posts, read 486,568 times
partly_cloudy_skies: Congratulations on finding employment in the Kankakee hospital! With two young children of school age, I would recommend looking in the Bourbonnais area for housing, especially if you wish to stay closer to your work. There is a sampling of every size and price range of home in that community, and the elementary and high schools will offer you a good educational experience for your children.
I would suggest speaking and working with a realtor in that area to find a rental that will fit your budget. When the time comes, you will have already forged a good working relationship with them to find a home to purchase. Some realtors also work with some new home builders in the area that may have options for renting and/buying/building in the future. Without knowing your financial situation it is hard to make more exact suggestions regarding housing.
If you don't mind driving a bit, the towns of Manteno and Peotone to the north (approx. 5 to 15 minute drives) offer some beautiful older homes in varying sizes, plus new homes as well. Both are safe communities with good schools, elementary through high school. They offer a good mix of older rural with new contemporary living. Each of the communities mentioned (Bourbonnais, Manteno, and Peotone) are located on I-57, which allows for quick access to Chicago and the suburbs through hook-ups with other major highways. The realtors of the Bourbonnais area will be familiar and equipped to assist you with the more northern villages ... as a realtor located in Manteno and Peotone would be able to assist with the Bourbonnais/Bradley/Kankakee area. If I can help in any way, please write or contact me. Best of luck to you in your new job!

Old 06-02-2009, 04:53 PM

98 posts, read 279,289 times
Momence is a great place to good schools river town cheap taxes!!

and a festival Momence Gladiolus Festival

Old 06-02-2009, 07:38 PM

342 posts, read 1,233,031 times
the schools in kankakee aren't that bad. and if it was me, i wouldn't move to manteno or peotone because they are real country.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:14 AM

220 posts, read 675,592 times
To me, the best thing would be to move to the part of Kankakee(Limestone Township) thats in the Herscher school district, might have a hard time finding a rental since its mostly single family homes, but coming from Plainfield you will find the housing a bit cheaper. The schools are perhaps the best in the county and your commute will be less than 5 minutes.. Contact a realtor about Indian Meadows, its a muilti-family development thats just starting, they may work you a deal and its probably a 60 second drive to Riverside a bit more to St. Mary's. Those places new start at $189K..

Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
Default Kankakee is a good place to get away from it all.

Bradley and Bourbenais would be nothing special without the city of Kankakee. It's just where the white people fled to. The subdivisions and strip malls of Bradley-Bourbenais were built on white flight while downtown Kankakee was left to rot. I'll be moving to Homewood soon and one of the only things I'll really miss about living in Monee is reasonable proximity to Kankakee-Bradley-Boubenais, I'm not gonna lie. I love the Barnes And Noble down there. And Northfield Mall has some good stores too.

A good thing about the city of Kankakee? Well, have you ever checked out the THREE STORY public library on Court Street with a café on the first floor? It's amazing. Have you ever picked up some greasy food and chilled by the Kankakee River eating it and watched the waves? Ahhh.. The sound of sirens off in the distance. Welcome to Kankakee.

Last edited by urza216; 01-08-2011 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois