Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:29 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,272,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkern View Post
My husband and I quit 3 years ago, but we still believe it should be up to the business establishment whether they prohibit smoking or not. I am able to decide whether or not people smoke in and on my property, so why shouldn't they? To cohdane, and those of similar persuation, if you don't want to be in the presence of smokers, then go to the establishments that don't allow it. Seems to me this is the perfect capitalism picture. A business should thrive or bust based on what consumers want, not on what the best lobbying group wants!
Yes it's capitalism, but businesses are still regulated by various laws. This falls under health and safety laws all restaurants and bars abide by. My freedom to breathe air free of 2nd hand smoke when I ate in a restaurant, even when seated in non-smoking section, was violated for so long, I have very little pity or understanding of "smokers rights"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,641,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
The right for a human to breathe clean air supersedes the right to pollute it with carcinogens, in my opinion.
Ban all gasoline powered vehicles then. Duh.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:18 PM

947 posts, read 2,425,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Ban all gasoline powered vehicles then. Duh.
We now have to pass emissions tests where there were none before. Besides, smokers can smoke out on the street, just like the autos that are polluting the air.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:24 PM

445 posts, read 1,449,529 times
In NYC, we've been living under this for a few years (thanks, Bloomberg and Nanny State)! I gather it is a more recent thing in Chicago. I don't understand why we can't have both smoking and non-smoking bars/restaurants.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:38 PM

120 posts, read 218,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
The right for a human to breathe clean air supersedes the right to pollute it with carcinogens, in my opinion.
You could very well argue that point except that it’s not the issue. If a private property owner who wants to allow someone to smoke, then that’s should be their right. You have a right to breathe smoke free air, just not on my property. I may hate loud music, but as long as it’s your house I must except it or leave. No one is being deprived smoke free air. Everybody doesn’t like the same things. Why is there such a compulsion to outlaw every thing we don’t like? There is all too much drama over some smoke.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe III View Post
You could very well argue that point except that it’s not the issue. If a private property owner who wants to allow someone to smoke, then that’s should be their right. You have a right to breathe smoke free air, just not on my property. I may hate loud music, but as long as it’s your house I must except it or leave. No one is being deprived smoke free air. Everybody doesn’t like the same things. Why is there such a compulsion to outlaw every thing we don’t like? There is all too much drama over some smoke.
Does a private property owner also have the right to not wash their hands after going to the bathroom and serving food, or not adhere to basic sanitation (refrigeration, storage, etc.) because it is their property? And if they feel 18 years old is old enough to drink liquor, should that be allowed also on their property?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:29 AM

17 posts, read 71,808 times
The NO smoking ban was that greatest thing that has happened in Illinois in many years. You can now go into restaurants and other family orientated places and really enjoy the air quality. Remember flying a few year ago. There were non smoking and smoking sections. Remember, we are sealed in a tube, 30,000 thousand feet up in the air, and the passenger in front of you is puffing away, he might as well be blowing the smoke directly in your face as these actions directly effected everyone on that plane. Just talk to any stewardess who flew during those smoking years, and ask them how they like it now. People who smoke do not really know how they smell. Clothing, hair, breath, their car, house, ETC. So three cheers for the smoking ban, and I wish it was Nation wide.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,272,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe III View Post
NO. When the music is too load, there are ordinances prohibiting it. To protect one's ability to sleep and prevent hearing loss.
We are also talking about public places of business not private property/personal residences.

And re. Avenger's comment about automobiles; they regulated cleaner gas catalytic converters & other methods to reduce harmful emissions. WHere are the filters and methods to reduce harmful emissions for the 2nd hand smoke? The smoker gets filtered smoke, but the bystander does not?! 2nd hand smoke is more lethal than the smoke inhaled by the smoker.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 AM

I would also like to clarify that by private property owner, I am assuming that the poster meant a bar owner or restaurateur, store owner, etc. The laws that exist for these establishments are there for a reason, such as the sanitation and drinking laws I mentioned.
And cubssoxfan, nice post.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:57 PM

22 posts, read 113,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And re. Avenger's comment about automobiles; they regulated cleaner gas catalytic converters & other methods to reduce harmful emissions. WHere are the filters and methods to reduce harmful emissions for the 2nd hand smoke? The smoker gets filtered smoke, but the bystander does not?! 2nd hand smoke is more lethal than the smoke inhaled by the smoker.
You have no idea what you're talking about. The harmfulness of smoking is because the volatile compounds aren't ever exposed to oxygen when they hit the lung tissue. Oxygen very quickly starts breaking down the carcinogens and all other volatile compounds.

In most instances secondhand smoke is a fraction as harmful as firsthand smoke. The exception being in places without a proper ventilation system that are reeking with smoke.

Ever wonder why you can be in a room of cannabis smokers and not get feel any intoxicating effects? That's oxygen in the air that's destroying the complex compound that gets you high upon immediate contact with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: