Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 AM

8 posts, read 36,846 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have lived here close to 3 yrs. I have 2 boys that are 5 yrs and 3 yrs old. I am dreading winter coming. Is there any place you can recommend I take them that is inexpensive and they can run around and play. They dont really like the playlands or the one at the ice arena much. Library is out, they are good boys but do not sit quietly long at all.

I would appreciate any ideas. I have to find something for them to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 08:56 AM

572 posts, read 2,489,087 times
Take them to Walmart!! Let them run loose with no rules what so ever. Its what the other moms and dads do. There are 7 or 8 in the area too. Closest would be Rockton and its fairly new.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
Take them to Walmart!! Let them run loose with no rules what so ever. Its what the other moms and dads do. There are 7 or 8 in the area too. Closest would be Rockton and its fairly new.

Ha, ha......ha If only it were that easy. I think I will pass on that idea though tempting as it may be, Lol!

If only they were like my girls when they were that age. We could spend 2 hrs in the libary before they got antsy.

These boys! They really have me stumped in the winter. I guess if I were upperclass, finacially speaking it would be easier.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:33 PM

Im glad you had a sense of humor about my idea. I will try my best to actualy help you out. I spent 3 years there in Roscoe so I know a bit about the area. You have been thru a few winters so you know what they are like. I would encourage them to go outside and play in the snow,build snowmans and build a snow fort,sledding, have them shovel they might be to young for that. If they have friends have some of them over and also have your kids go to thier homee. The mall might be a good place Cherry Valley is a nice one.Buy them a few games to play. I hope I helped.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
Im glad you had a sense of humor about my idea. I will try my best to actualy help you out. I spent 3 years there in Roscoe so I know a bit about the area. You have been thru a few winters so you know what they are like. I would encourage them to go outside and play in the snow,build snowmans and build a snow fort,sledding, have them shovel they might be to young for that. If they have friends have some of them over and also have your kids go to thier homee. The mall might be a good place Cherry Valley is a nice one.Buy them a few games to play. I hope I helped.
Yes, thanks. Those are some good ideas. they actually do shovel. We have a fence back yard so I let them shovel off our back deck. They only last about 30 minutes out in the snow before they are ready to come in. I am not big on the cold so I guess it would help if I would get over it and go play with them outside in the winter. My boys are horrible in the mall. they dont like it at all. before they remodeled the play area it was a pretty open space. We would bring balloons there and hit them around now with all the new play equiptment we cant do that and funny thing is they really dont like to play with the new stuff.

The old Machesney Park Mall we had some really good fun in. Now mall part is closed but before it was open and all the stores were closed and there were pretty much no people there so we would take super balls and just bounce them all over the place.

Were we used to live it was only $1.50 to go the park districts open gym once a week and they had all kinds of balls and bikes minnie trapolines and stuff that amused them for quite a while. I have not found any where like that around here yet at that good of a price anyway.

We used to belong to a church that had all kinds of kid friendly family nights too but still have not found that here either.

I actually wish we could just move but seems like this is going to be it for quite some time maybe even forever so I will keep looking for new things to do with the kids. Hopefully our financial situation will change in the next year then we will have more options.

Thanks for the ideas!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 PM

62 posts, read 300,345 times
Take a trip to the Discovery center in Rockford. They can run wild and do different kinds of experiments. You might also like the Burpee Museum in Rockford or Chucky Cheese.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesinrockford View Post
Take a trip to the Discovery center in Rockford. They can run wild and do different kinds of experiments. You might also like the Burpee Museum in Rockford or Chucky Cheese.

Thanks! Last week for the 1st time I visited Janesville mall and found I like the Chucky Cheese there way more than the Rockford one it only takes about 30 min. to get there too.

I went to the discovery center might try again some time. I think it is like $5.00 per peson to go there. I think they have some free times in the late after noon.

I might try to find a Moms group. I go to Heartland Church and while there are many things I like about the church it seems not to have enough family functions to go or a moms group that I have noticed.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:37 PM

When I lived there I tried to do all of my shopping in Janesville or Beloit it is so much easier to jump on the I 39 at Rockton Rd and avoid the tolls, drive 15-20 minutes to Janesville its cheaper and cleaner too. Less sales tax also. Take a trip up to Lake Geneva sometime its really nice there also.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:42 PM

90 posts, read 353,607 times
Nickel World is a great spot for 5 year olds!

Lazer Quest on Mulford is fun. The 5 year old will be fine but you might have to strap on the pack for the 3 year old and let them carry the laser.

Get them involved at the Park District (http://www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/home/home.aspx - broken link)or YMCA (http://www.rockfordymca.org/CampWinnebago/index.asp - broken link). There's TONS of things for them to get into there.

The Ice Hogs is good family fun.

If they like video games, check out Crazy Penguin.

Be sure to take them to the BMX track once they are both riding without training wheels.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:33 AM

How is living in Roscoe working out for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILgirl38 View Post
Thanks! Last week for the 1st time I visited Janesville mall and found I like the Chucky Cheese there way more than the Rockford one it only takes about 30 min. to get there too.

I went to the discovery center might try again some time. I think it is like $5.00 per peson to go there. I think they have some free times in the late after noon.

I might try to find a Moms group. I go to Heartland Church and while there are many things I like about the church it seems not to have enough family functions to go or a moms group that I have noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois