Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times

Advertisements

Lately there seems to be a debate between which is better: downstate cities or Chicagoland. To be honest, both sides have made excellent points and both sides have positives as well as negatives. May I just make this clear: whether Im standing in downtown Chicago admiring architecture, or swimming in Lake Michigan at Illinois Beach SP, or standing in a cornfield in DeKalb, or strolling down Galena's ancient streets, or admiring the views at Garden of the Gods Sp, or perhaps even hiking the canyons at Starved Rock or Matthiesson Sp... no matter where I am, no matter whats happening in life, IM PROUD TO CALL MYSELF AN ILLINOISAN. This is a great state, full of great things and great people, I wouldnt dream of calling anywhere else my home. I think we should put aside our differences and realize that we're neighbors. It seems the other midwestern states are losing folks left and right, we seem to be picking them up, which is a good thing. My heart belongs to the midwest and it saddens me to see some of our neighboring states crumble.

In the past Ive been rather rude to certain people, and for this I apologize. I was defending myself and my cities from attacks, but I should have taken a more professional route, rather than an attacking stance. Ive been all around the states, MANY times. I give my opinions on other cities and I feel theyre fairly accurate from my best personal observations. Anyways, I think us Illinoisans should be PROUD to call the great city of Chicago our own. I think we should also be proud of areas like B-N, Peoria, the quad cities. Theyre all great towns in their own rights, and most importantly they lie in Illinois, the state we all call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 10:57 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
I think you have given very informative posts,I also think on occasion some people have gone beyond mere opinions and intentionally WANTED to be rude or bate-always very obvious-,and that is sometimes hard to ignore.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:28 AM

Agreed. BUT, sometimes my temper flares and it gets the best of me.

With all that being said, Im proud of my home. I love this state and my heart aches for it anytime I leave here. I still feel bad for MI, IN, WI, IA, PA, ND, etc that are facing tough times and people are leaving in droves. Im glad that Illinois isnt facing these problems, I hope we never will. It just saddens me to see people leave their homes to move somewhere "warmer" or "more hip" or whatever.

This state has played a major part in this country's history. We have also spawned some of the greatest people as well. Some of them were highly influential, others not-so-influential. Here are some Illinoisans that I can think of off the top of my head:

Abraham Lincoln (although not born here, he practiced here)
Ronald Reagan
Wyatt Earp
Walt Disney
Hillary Clinton
Jim/John Belushi
Earnest Hemingway
Frank Lloyd Wright
John/Joan Cusack
Vince Vaughan
Cindy Crawford
Denise Richards
Adrienne Curry
Simeon Rice
Mike Alstott
Louis Armstrong
Ulysses S. Grant
Red Grange

Old 01-22-2007, 11:34 AM

332 posts, read 632,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
IM PROUD TO CALL MYSELF AN ILLINOISAN. This is a great state, full of great things and great people, I wouldnt dream of calling anywhere else my home. I think we should put aside our differences and realize that we're neighbors. It seems the other midwestern states are losing folks left and right, we seem to be picking them up, which is a good thing. My heart belongs to the midwest and it saddens me to see some of our neighboring states crumble.
Is that what I'm going to be soon? From Michigander, to Californian, to Floridian, to Hoosier...and now a Illinoisan huh? I did not know that. Is that prounounced Illinois-an or Illinoi-sian? Anyways, I'm happy to see there is such great enthusiasm for this place I will soon call home. And I can't believe my Super Bowl fortunes! The only way it would get any better would be for the Lions to take the Bears spot.

When you say "neighboring states crumble" which states are you referring to? Obviously my home state of MI, but which others?

EDIT...forget it. I just read your new e-mail.

EDIT #2...I know about MI's woes, but expand on what you know of the state I'm leaving, IN (so I feel better about leaving it) and WI (since I'm considering living in Kenosha County). Thanks.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:46 AM

Well, we'll welcome you with open arms! Im sure youll enjoy your time here, seems like youre already familiar with the weather in these parts, so that wont be a big shock to you.

Its Illinois-an, youre correct with your first pronunciation.

MI just seems to be rotting from the inside out, sadly. Detroit is starting to renew itself, but it will probably be 50 more years before they can attract people to the city. I wish the best for them.

IN? I see the declining population of the whole state and Indy, plus I frequent the IN boards and read about people relocating to warmer states, cheaper states, etc, etc. Dont worry, once they experience summer in AZ or FL, theyll be back soon enough. Theyll miss the snow, the culture, etc. Ive now personally known 4 families that moved to AZ for a few years and have since moved back. Just give em time....

PA? Pittsburgh and Philly have been on the downswing for years. Pittsburgh is, from what I read, starting to reinvent itself, and that makes me happier than a pig in crap. I LOVED Pittsburgh when I was there. I loved the setting, the rivers, the downtown was pretty clean, etc. Plus, PNC Park was definitely one of the coolest ballparks Ive been to yet. Neat place. Philly? I havent been there in about 10 years, but last time I was there I was intrigued by the history, but the rest of the city was quite slummy, think Chicago's west side.... But I have to say that the cheesesteaks there just CANT be duplicated anywhere else. I though the steaks out here were good until I had one in Philly. Mmmmm, Im gettin hungry just THINKING about it.

OH, same thing. Lots of urban decay, people leaving in droves, makes me sad. Cincinnati was a really cool place, I enjoyed it and its settings as well. I just wish people wouldnt be so quick to abandon their homes, although its quite understandable.

WI, has some really neat areas. Ive always been a fan of Milwaukee, but they to are struggling with a declining population. They are trying to revitalize downtown, and for that I applaud them. To me it just seems that Madison is the only area of WI (of the larger cities) that has maintained steady growth, rather than decline. And for good reasons too, Madison is a really great place to live!

Old 01-22-2007, 12:47 PM

332 posts, read 632,668 times
Yeah, MI is in real rough shape. Luckily my family is doing well, but my bro hates his white collar job at Chrysler (a job millions in MI would kill for I suppose). My sister just became a Physician's Assistant, so she's kicking butt. I'd like to get back there if only my wife and I (or at least I) could get some good jobs, but right now doesn't seem like a good time to do that (though we could get a good deal on real estate I'm sure).

As far as IN/Indy/Fishers...I've really enjoyed my 7+ year stay here. I can't speak for the whole state but the Indy area is great, and Fishers is an outstanding area to raise a family. I know I'll never move back to FL as 1 Summer down there was all I needed to want to come back up to the GREAT MIDWEST!!! This IL/Chicago/Lake Forest thing came out of the blue, but hopefully it will be a blessing in disguise. I just need to sell my home down here, get a job up there, and bring the girls on up to join their momma.

I don't have only positives to say about Indy though. This whole daylight savings / time zone debate is a joke. I was happy they went to EDT. They just need to put it behind them and concentrate their efforts on more pressing matters, like getting full day kindergarten rolling, controlling the recent surge in crime, retaining their citizens, etc.

Also, there's a lot of great people here, but I can't get over them saying "warsh" instead of "wash" and they just seem a little backwards/backwoods compared to MI or IL (from what I've seen so far).

Finally I was embarassed at all the "Lord" references made by Isray, and every other Colt who was interviewed on national and local TV after the game. Hey guys..."The Lord" (if there is one) doesn't have anything to do with sports outcomes.

How is the religious scene up in the Chicagoland area? Hopefully better (less prounounced) than down here.

I'm a former Republican turned Libertarian (leaning towards the GOP) turned Libertarian (leaning towards the Dems). So I hope I fit in well up there. I know it's a blue state, so that might be a fresh change.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:10 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Steve-o

People are moving into Indiana, particularly NW Indiana from Chicago in droves. Indianapolis and it's 'burbs are always transient.

I spent almost a decade in Illinois, but I always thought I was consdered an Illini ... Illinois-an is a new one on me. Hoosier just flows better I will always love the state of Illinois, particularly Chicago. It's where I really grew up and found out who I was as a person. I made a great living in Chicago, loved living in it's neighborhoods and suburbs. I miss the food something terrible! I took my daughter to Chicago last year for her birthday and she still talks about it! My heart is probably still laying on Oak Street Beach!

Anyway, Illinois is great, that's all I wanted to say.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 PM

Good posts guys! Yes, NW IN is becoming a hot spot for Chicagoans as its still close but significantly cheaper. Illini refers more to Native Americans than people who live in Illinois, or at least thats the way I see it. Ive always been told were Illinoisans??? Anyways, regardless of namesakes, Im happy to live here and any significant amount of time away from home makes me love it that much more.

Spartanacus...Ive never said "warsh" before, nor known anyone who says that. BUT, one time in Georgia we did see a car wash facility whos sign said "car warsh", we about died from laughter. LOL

Old 01-22-2007, 06:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
This is one Illinoisan who wishes Chicago and Milwaukee could wholesale change places. Illinois has its strengths and attributes, but it just can't match the incomparable beauty of Wisconsin and the rest of the Northwoods. Plus I just love the Wisconsin culture.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:57 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,914 times
Warsh is a linguistic quirk associated with migratory patterns through the Cumberland Gap. It's present in Illinois, especially in the Illinois River Valley a bit south of Peoria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois