Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:20 AM

6 posts, read 7,857 times

Advertisements

Recently retired looking for a place that's good for retirees to live. I dont want to purchase a home so a place that has reasonable rent prices, not a lot of children, not a lot of traffic, shops that are in walking distance, decent weather and most of all LOW CRIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 06:17 PM

720 posts, read 1,084,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky500 View Post
Recently retired looking for a place that's good for retirees to live. I dont want to purchase a home so a place that has reasonable rent prices, not a lot of children, not a lot of traffic, shops that are in walking distance, decent weather and most of all LOW CRIME
Lol then why are you looking in Illinois?

Old 02-27-2018, 10:58 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Weather can be tough in Illinois, especially in regard to the winter.

Disregarding the 'walking distance' criteria I would say there are many smaller towns which could make a retiree very happy. Smaller towns mean smaller shopping districts though. The best shopping is in areas that have rising real estate values.

Have you considered the Galena area? I personally like Kendall county, DeKalb county, LaSalle county and Grundy county. The smaller towns are quite nice, especially along the rivers, but prices to rent or buy are climbing everywhere.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:46 PM
tlw

98 posts, read 432,986 times
Quote:
Marion, Illinois

Southern Illinois has the best weather in the state hands down .... much different than even the central part of the state. Marion is walkable, very reasonably priced in all categories, low crime, low traffic compared to cities, average number of children.

Within a few miles drive you have beautiful rolling hills, rock formations, Giant City State Park, wineries, and gorgeous recreational lakes - Crab Orchard which borders Marion, Lake Kincaid, Little Grassy, Devil's Kitchen, Cedar Lake, Rend Lake.

You're only 2 hours drive to St. Louis for city life.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:50 AM

85 posts, read 76,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
.I was thinking the same thing. Too the poster=If you are only wanting to stay in Illinois for grand kids or family members, there are planes or cars that you can use too see them. Get out and move to a new state if you can!!!

Old 09-11-2018, 06:32 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,971 times
Retire in IL?!

Get out now!!!!!

Old 09-15-2018, 06:38 PM

18 posts, read 15,475 times
Only fools would retire in Illinois.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:10 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Illinois exempts nearly all retirement income from taxation, including Social Security retirement benefits, pension income and income from retirement savings accounts.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:38 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Illinois exempts nearly all retirement income from taxation, including Social Security retirement benefits, pension income and income from retirement savings accounts.

Until after this next election, can you say Pritzker ?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:17 AM

54 posts, read 94,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlw View Post
Marion, Illinois

Southern Illinois has the best weather in the state hands down ...
I'll agree on the weather part. I-70 (on a ridge, basically) separates the climate zones.

However... Marion? Not so much for walking as your primary get-around. Development over the past, oh, three or four years has moved a lot of retail to around the I-57/IL13 interchange. Road "improvements" around the area are pedestrian-hostile.

But given we retired to southern Illinois, yes, it's a good place to be. Housing costs are very low, although rents in some areas - Salem/Centralia/Mt. Vernon for example - are "upside down", meaning it costs less to buy than rent, sometimes much less, when all is considered. The Illinois retirement income exemptions are a godsend.

I was on our Chamber's "Retire in [our town]" committee for a while. Although we have a lot to offer, walking access to basic shopping is not one of them. Like most small Midwest towns, we were Wal-Marted several years ago which decimated our downtown. Then there was a double whammy when it was upgraded to a Super Wal-Mart a couple of years ago, which is now killing our in-town strip mall. You need a car here.

Given the OP's parameters, I would lean towards Carbondale. The college sets the tone for the community overall, so there is a decent downtown, nice variety of retail and restaurants, and access to public transportation including an Amtrak station with three daily trains going north if you need the occasional Chicago fix. And with the primary community being college "kids", the "not a lot of children" desire - which we totally understand - seems to fit well. Only downside I can think of would be a high-demand rental market, characteristic of college towns, although as a former landlord I would jump at the chance at renting to an adult!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois