Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:12 PM

15 posts, read 50,010 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I miiiight be relocating to C-U from Lincoln, Nebraska so that he can pursue his PhD. I'm nervous about the whole thing, especially how little it is and the job market for me (hoping to get into PR or HR). I'm working on having an open mind about everything, I'd just always pictured moving to a big city after graduation.

Any ideas on great companies to work for in Champaign? If my husband falls in love with the Engineering Mechanics department at UIUC, we'll probably head that way.

We're visiting this coming weekend. I have a few apartment tours already set up at Tuscany Park, Watersedge, Hessel on the Park, Champaign House and Westbury Park. Anyone have reviews or info about these? They all accept dogs and we're looking to get a Labrador pretty soon after moving. Any other complexes or leasing companies I should look into while I'm there?

Requirements for apartment: allows dogs (the bigger the better), 2BR/2BA (we might be able to make do with 1.5BA), not too incredibly far from campus, not scary, not super-loud college kids, oh - and our budget maybe goes up to $900/mo or so. Any ideas?

I'm grateful for any words of wisdom you might have in this area. I don't want to miss anything when we visit next weekend!

Oh yeah! And we're attending Christ Unity Church in Urbana on Sunday morning. Anyone been there? Is it big? Nice?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 02:35 PM

64 posts, read 377,001 times
Let's see here...the schools and cost of living are good but violent crime is the third-highest among mid-sized cities in the state. Unless the transfer to U of I is necessary, I'd stay in Nebraska.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:39 PM

15 posts, read 50,010 times
well we're definitely moving out of nebraska this fall no matter what. he's been accepted to the university of texas, university of minnesota and university of illinois. still waiting to hear back on MIT.

so it all depends on how the visits go in each city and how well the programs match up with his educational goals.

so since we're visiting champaign anyway, i'm just looking for some input.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:54 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstara View Post
Hi, my husband and I miiiight be relocating to C-U from Lincoln, Nebraska so that he can pursue his PhD. I'm nervous about the whole thing, especially how little it is and the job market for me (hoping to get into PR or HR). I'm working on having an open mind about everything, I'd just always pictured moving to a big city after graduation.
We're visiting this coming weekend. I have a few apartment tours already set up at Tuscany Park, Watersedge, Hessel on the Park, Champaign House and Westbury Park. Anyone have reviews or info about these? They all accept dogs and we're looking to get a Labrador pretty soon after moving. Any other complexes or leasing companies I should look into while I'm there?

Requirements for apartment: allows dogs (the bigger the better), 2BR/2BA (we might be able to make do with 1.5BA), not too incredibly far from campus, not scary, not super-loud college kids, oh - and our budget maybe goes up to $900/mo or so. Any ideas?
Hi misstara,

Well, the biggest employer by far in the county is the University. The thing is HUGE and though you don't usually think of a University for those fields, you still might start off poking around there, just because it's such a big pool. It might surprise just how diverse a set of people it employs in order to run something that large.

Champaign will not be mistaken for the big city you were imagining moving to, but it has certain amenities. Compared to a big city, the cultural amenities are not that far behind, public transit it relatively nice, parks and recreation are good. Unfortunately, the job market outside of the University does not resemble a big city, particularly for those type of jobs. But this probably goes for just about any metro area under 400K; the HR jobs and PR jobs especially are concentrated in only the biggest cities.

Of what there is here (BESIDES the University, which is worth checking out), there are some options as far as companies that are either "new economy" companies or at least do a lot of business outside of C-U (and thus would have more need for PR and HR). These include any of:

* companies at University of Illinois Research Park Research Park at the University of Illinois, Research Park & Incubation Facilities, Enterprise Works, Fox Development Corp., Champaign, IL,
* Wolfram Research Wolfram Research, Inc.
* Volition, Inc. Volition, Inc.
* Kraft Foods; they have a large manufacturing plant on the west side of town
* also scan the Wikipedia pages for Champaign and Urbana for lists of major operators here
* health care, C-U is a regional center, and the sector is fairly large:
* Carle Carle Foundation Hospital & Carle Clinic Association
* Christie Clinic Christie Clinic. Medicine For Your Life.
* Provena Covenant Welcome to Provena Covenant Medical Center

Hope that gets you started.

As for housing, first of all crime/scary depends mostly on the part of town, those not around campus or the "ghetto" (which will be easy to spot on your visit here: standard signs like houses that aren't cared for) have little to worry about. And campus is mostly petty crime, which you always get in return for the higher density.

Parking around campus can be expensive and a pain, although fortunately it's less bad around the Engineering part of campus. The bus system is excellent and you may consider as a small factor living near one or more bus routes to campus. Don't make this a major part of your decision. But you can check out the evening routes at Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District to get an idea of areas that are especially well-served.

You have listed only large apartment complexes. You don't have time on a short visit to C-U to meet with tiny landlords, but there are some companies that manage large numbers of smaller units spread all over town that you might look at. Based on my own experience hunting for an apartment that allows dogs (with a reputable landlord), here are a few with websites that I would recommend looking at:
Ramshaw Real Estate
Champaign Urbana, Apartments, Rentals, Housing
cu-living.com | Apartments in Champaign Urbana Illinois
There is a craigslist page for C-U that is very active for housing also.

Well, that's about all I can think of about the C-U for now! HTH.

-meatpuff

Old 03-02-2008, 12:35 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Default About Champaign

Everything despnds upon what you must have balanced against what you want. UI isn't in Chicago. Champaign, like Peoria is a farming community with a very large four year college plunked in the middle of it. If safety and a quieter area for study might suit your needs better, then do consider smaller communities like Ranoul. Rent should be cheaper and it should be easier to find what you need in housing in a smalller community. As the sixth most populated state in the nation, our little communities hold some intersting surprises.

The last time I was in Texas motel and restaurant tax was 15% and gasoline was the highest in the nation despite the fact it is refined in Texas. Illinoiis motel and restaurant tax depends upon the county. Where i live it is 7%.. Groceries statewide are 1%.

Since you are open-minded, do take the time to look at options. Do get the local newspapers where you visit, ask questions, and read the phone books.. The yellow pages are a fountain of information. . .

Old 03-02-2008, 01:21 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint_Noname View Post
violent crime is the third-highest among mid-sized cities in the state
Where did you get this information from? I lived in Champaign from 2003-2007 and it was very safe, except for a couple ghettos everyone knew not to go to. I lived downtown and frequently walked home alone late at night (I'm female) and never had a single problem.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:24 PM

13 posts, read 60,955 times
I actually really like C-U. I am paranoid about crime and there *are* bad parts, but overall, it's a nice town. And you can live just south of town (I forget the name of the little town but it's by the Orchard), and it is much more affordable.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:35 PM

64 posts, read 377,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84
Where did you get this information from? I lived in Champaign from 2003-2007 and it was very safe, except for a couple ghettos everyone knew not to go to. I lived downtown and frequently walked home alone late at night (I'm female) and never had a single problem.
I got the statistics from the Illinois State Police. They don't actually have a ranking for most dangerous mid-sized cities; I just calculated the per-capita crime rates for every mid-sized city in the state that wasn't a suburb of Chicago and found Champaign to be third most dangerous among those cities. There are many violent crimes that you don't see happening or even hear on the news. A place can feel safe even if it has a bunch of people who are determined to commit a crime. But then again, there are probably a lot of brawls involving drunken UI students that make it into the statistics...

Old 03-02-2008, 06:46 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint_Noname View Post
I just calculated the per-capita crime rates for every mid-sized city in the state that wasn't a suburb of Chicago and found Champaign to be third most dangerous among those cities.
Take all the mid-sized cities in Illinois (minus the Chicago suburbs) and you're probably left with three

Just kidding, interesting statistic though.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Also, see this thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/illin...lp-please.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois