Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 02:32 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're very interested in renting a home in the Candlewick Lake complex in Poplar Grove, and wanted to get some fresh opinions of the place, since the others on here are somewhat dated. We're aware of the association, but our rental company will be paying those dues, so that's good. Anyway, the neighborhood looked immaculate at first glance, especially down by the lake, but was wondering if that might be the case during the warmer months also when everyone will be out and about? We're a quiet family......no working on cars in the driveway, no parties, very rarely even have visitors. Do have 4 kids who would obviously want to play outside, though. I heard the bylaws were very restrictive, but again, that was from a post a few years old, so I do plan to look over the current ones. So if anyone can give me a current take on the place as well as things like schools, where people shop, etc. that would be GREAT! We would be moving from the city of McHenry, and are willing to sacrifice many nearby amenities in order to live in a bigger, nicer home in what appears to be a very nice place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:54 AM

Bumping my own thread here because I'm desperate for info. We have to make a decision about this house this week.

Called the public safety officer at Candlewick, and he said he suspects there are some gang members living in there, but that there haven't been any gang issues in the 3 years he's been on the job. Also said kids (teens) like to break into vehicles.

Seems a lot of homeowners there are not happy about renters being in the community, which I can understand, but the home we're looking at is so perfect for us right now, and we're just not ready to buy before we know we're going to be here long term. Has CL been going downhill at all due to foreclosures and what not?

Really need some opinions on this place if anyone knows anything. Would hate to miss out on this home if CL is a good place for a family. I heard the schools in the area were very good, can anyone confirm this?

Old 02-15-2015, 10:09 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times
I've heard great things about CL and I think you should rent the house. You're gonna be renting, so you'll get to see if you like it first before possibly buying there. Are you considering moving to be closer to work or just to live in a bigger home? If it's just for a bigger house, how do your kids feel about moving?

Old 02-15-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I've heard great things about CL and I think you should rent the house. You're gonna be renting, so you'll get to see if you like it first before possibly buying there. Are you considering moving to be closer to work or just to live in a bigger home? If it's just for a bigger house, how do your kids feel about moving?
Kids don't mind. They'd love a bigger home and their own yard to play in. Distance to work would stay roughly the same, so non factor.

Previous threads on this place were pretty fiery, but they are years old. Strange no one is responding now......wonder if they all took off?

Old 02-16-2015, 08:25 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,084,718 times
I think people aren't responding because they don't know anything about CL. People respond if they know anything about CL. The threads on here about CL are from a very long time ago, so things have obviously changed from then.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:43 PM

90 posts, read 353,128 times
I live in Poplar Grove but not inside Candlewick however, I do have friends that live in there. We moved from the suburbs out here in 06 and I can tell you one thing for sure, it’s more “country” than you’re used to. You’re kids will notice that immediately in school. If you cut the lake in half north to south, I would personally live on the southern half only for the reason of the school district. The south side goes to the Belvidere School District and the north side goes to the North Boone District (for the most part at least). There are some pockets on the north/west side that are in Belvidere’s District too but I would double check before hand. It’s not that North Boone is a bad District but coming from McHenry, North Boone would be an extreme culture change for your kids. 75% of those families are farmers and drive tractors to school for “tractor day”….yes, I said tractor day. But hey, if that’s your thing then go for it. My kids are in Belvidere’s District and they love it.

Candlewick still has strict association rules but in all honesty, it’s revolved around people not living like slobs. As long as you keep the place presentable and don’t look like your having a yard sale every day, you’ll be fine.
Candlewick also has a lot of rental properties…..ALOT. I don’t know the exact number but if half of the entire community was rentals, it wouldn’t surprise me. Of course with that many rentals come the tenants that are not very “classy” for a lack of a better word. The friends I have in there are fortunate enough not to have any rif-raf next to them but be aware, there is plenty of it in there.
Not sure if you noticed or not when you were there but there are no sidewalks in that community. Kids are forced to walk in the streets to get to the parks, etc. My kids have walked those streets with their friends and they haven’t had any problems but still, that’s a little uneasy to me.
People that live there have access to the clubhouse, pool, and lake (no swimming in the lake, just boats). There are community events in there all the time from garage sales to festivals.
If I was purchasing a house, I would look elsewhere because the values there have been pretty much stagnant forever (even during the market rise and crash). If I was forced to rent, Candlewick would certainly be attractive because you can rent a nice size place for a reasonable rent.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:50 PM

Thanks, Jeff. We've all but decided against moving there. We were just looking for a more private setup (with a yard for our kids and a basement) than we have now in our townhome, but even though the house we looked at was really nice, I didn't like much else about what I learned of Candlewick........especially the "riff raff" factor, which pretty much everyone I talked to (outside of this forum) was adamant about. We have no problem adhering to association rules, so that isn't a factor, but I actually talked to the public safety chief there the other day, and he didn't exactly put my mind at ease in correlation with some of the stuff that apparently goes on in there. We have a really nice, quiet place now with a ton of shopping, restaurants, etc. practically right outside our door, and even though the "country living" aspect actually appeals to me, the cost factor with having to drive so much further to everything was also a big consideration. I was wondering why the rents in Candlewick were so reasonable for such nice homes with lake views......and now I think I know.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:40 AM

13 posts, read 15,485 times
Default move to Candlewick Lake, Joe.

Nice place to live, families are quite happy from what I hear, some one will always make some mischief, but this happens everywhere. I have lived in Candlewick southeast for almost 10 years, am happy. Gated community good idea for family living, no trespassers allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois