Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 9,712 times

Advertisements

Looking for opinions on Lebanon, IL, particularly from those who live there currently or have lived there recently. Quality and safety of the schools? Safety in general? Receptiveness of community to "outsiders" or "city folk"? Quality of the town leadership?

My family is considering a move to Lebanon from St. Louis. I grew up in a small town similar to Lebanon and the community was not receptive to "city folk".

Any opinions at all about Lebanon are appreciated, whether on these topics or others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 01:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I've lived and traveled over much of the United States. It has been my experience that rural America is very conservative and generally racist and homophobic. Sadly the area of IL/MO counties that line the the Mississippi River around Saint Louis is home to over half-dozen hate groups.

Lebanon is 5000 population. I am quite familiar with Missouri. The Missouri COL is lower than in Illinois, and so are the real estate taxes. I personally like the Missouri cities of Troy and Louisiana. I've been doing business there for over 25 years. I lived in SW MO for a number of years; I still prefer Troy and Louisiana over the other.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:40 PM

89 posts, read 128,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I've lived and traveled over much of the United States. It has been my experience that rural America is very conservative and generally racist and homophobic. Sadly the area of IL/MO counties that line the the Mississippi River around Saint Louis is home to over half-dozen hate groups.

Lebanon is 5000 population. I am quite familiar with Missouri. The Missouri COL is lower than in Illinois, and so are the real estate taxes. I personally like the Missouri cities of Troy and Louisiana. I've been doing business there for over 25 years. I lived in SW MO for a number of years; I still prefer Troy and Louisiana over the other.
Yeah, so familiar you've decided to hand over decent chunks of the Midwest to the South. Doesn't sound like 25 years to me...if it is you've been living in a fool's paradise. The so-called hate groups you refer to I've never seen the likes of and I've lived in the area longer than you.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:04 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I have no idea what you are babbling about. You have no idea how old I am, or where I might have lived. Chances are you're a city boy and have no experience in the little enclaves that permeate rural America. Educate ignorance!

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map

Old 10-18-2014, 05:14 PM

89 posts, read 128,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I have no idea what you are babbling about. You have no idea how old I am, or where I might have lived. Chances are you're a city boy and have no experience in the little enclaves that permeate rural America. Educate ignorance!

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map
Guess you've got a short term memory.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 AM

29 posts, read 78,333 times
To bring this topic back to the question asked...I lived in a rental house in near McKendree in Lebanon from 2011-2012. I would walk while my toddler rode in a wagon or his trike to the library. We never felt unsafe or even bothered as I expected might be the case in a small college town.

Being a college town outside of a military base, I think they are very receptive to outsiders and "city-folk" as there is an expected churn in residents. We moved to a different town before my son started school, but never heard anything bad about the Lebanon system. Greatschools and SchoolDigger rank it about average for the state though.

I would say that it's a quaint little town, almost to a fault though. There are really only two routes into it (4 and 50) and for most of 2012 there was construction on 50 which meant 2+ miles of backed up traffic to get through the three-way and four-way stops. From talking to the residents, the local government refuses to allow a by-pass, as that would take away potential tourists. They also frequently shut down the main street for car shows and other festivals (once-twice a month) which further snarls traffic.

All in all, it's a great little town to visit for antique shopping or pizza, but I wouldn't want to live there again.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 9,712 times
Daven7, thank you for the on-point response. May I ask why you would not want to live in Lebanon again? Is it mainly the traffic issues or are there other reasons. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2014, 06:33 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,659 times
I was born and raised in rural america and I've only very rarely experienced racism and never seen or met any hate groups. Racism exists in all facits and forms and demographics.

And your so quick to jump on the bandwagon on genralization and stereotyping "Maybe your just a pot calling a kettle black?"

This is kind of a trend nowadays, unforunately perpetutated by a biased media.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:17 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,885 times
On that map that was linked, most of the hate groups in Illinois (18 out of 23) are located in the Chicago area.

The ones near Lebanon are the Nation of Islam and the Sadistic Souls Motorcycle Club.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:00 PM

29 posts, read 78,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw708 View Post
Daven7, thank you for the on-point response. May I ask why you would not want to live in Lebanon again? Is it mainly the traffic issues or are there other reasons. Thanks!
Mainly the traffic issues I'd say, it's just a little too long of a drive to get from there to anywhere I would want or need to go.

I much prefer the Shiloh/O'fallon area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois