Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:33 PM

28 posts, read 84,203 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Frankfort Illinois and do not make very much money, despite having a BA in psychology and working at the same company for a number of years. My degree is not terrible useful, except for jobs that just require a degree.

I am considering trying to get a job with the State of Illinois, and am contemplating going further south (like Bloomington-Normal, Springfield, Peoria, Urbana-Champaign, etc) for the following reasons:
1. Lower cost of living will allow me to pay down debts and save money
2. Presumably less competition for jobs
3. Less likelihood of being sent to an unsafe area of Cook County to work
4. Shorter commute than if I worked in downtown Chicago

Some background:
1. I'm single with no children and no lease or mortgage
2. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, but I need to get a better paying job
3. I don't go downtown much, mainly due to lack of funds
4. I went to school in Bloomington-Normal and really liked the area, but I don't know much about the other cities/towns I mentioned

So, what do you think? Are my assumptions about lower cost of living / less competition accurate? Are these decent towns to live in?

Edit for one more question - What do you think of the areas I have mentioned? Any other suggestions? Maybe Rockford?

Last edited by anonak; 11-03-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 06:38 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,031,875 times
Your assumptions about cost-of-living are correct. Your assumptions about less competition, probably not.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Thanks madpaddy. I probably made the latter assumption based on faulty reasoning. I was thinking that since there are many less people than in the Chicago area, it might be less competitive... but logically there are probably also less jobs.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times
Also, don't underestimate how fierce the competition is for public-sector jobs particularly during uncertain economic times.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 PM

Very good point, Drover. I am lucky that I am currently employed, and I would not leave my current job until I had a new one. I am just contemplating widening my search area from the Chicagoland area mainly because it is so expensive up here. I am mostly looking at entry level or trainee positions, so hopefully having a number of years working will give me an edge over recent college graduates.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,313,722 times
It is interesting that you mentioned you4 BA. Back 40-50 years ago there was a number of mental treatment facilities in Illinois that had Psychologists and Sociologists on staff. Those facilities were closed long ago. The towns you mentioned have changed too.

Normal is a town with ISU and 22,000 students that is also the second largest number of Amtrak riders outside of Chicago. It was rewarded with a new station. Bloomington is the home of at least two national insurance companies who hire Actuary grads from ISU. I expect the total population of the two places to soon exceed 100,000 in McLean County. Springfield in Sangamon County is the seat of state government. Sangamon and McLean are both in the plains and have reported the largest amount of tornadic activity in the last 50 years. Peoria, in Peoria County, once part of a large manufacturing base, is now a STEM city that is alway looking for individuals with college degrees. The seven county area that comprises the Peoria MSA is approaching 500,000. Unlike the flat plains it part of the Illinois River Valley with its high cliffs, rolling hills and large river. This particular area is unique for mid-downstate. Urbana and Champaign are home to the flagship UIUC and it 30000+ students.

As a whole most of downstate is involved with small business, farming, ranching, and labor intense jobs. You can find Costco but not Trader Joe's. You can find Naturally Yours and Fresh Market but not Whole Foods. Groceries are 1%. Real Estate taxes are much lower. In Peoria you can find a decent place to rent for $500, 100 restaurants; gasoline is hovering around $3.00 per gallon. In the local television market Peoria and Bloomington are considered sister cities where you find some of the same national stores and some of the same local business that you don't find in Springfield or U-C at this point in time. If you are outdoorsy and adventuresome you'll find some interesting things to investigate while you enjoy the large parks. Peoria has the oldest and largest park district in the state.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:49 AM

Thank you linicx! I am not really much of an outdoorsy person, but I aspire to be. I mentioned my degree because some State of Illinois jobs only specify that they want a degree, but not necessarily a specific one.

My family lives up here, but I have lived away from them before. As friends get married and have kids, I am finding that we see less and less of one another. I have stagnated at my job for far too long and it is pretty much a dead-end. I ended up in my industry by chance, but I don't feel terribly connected to it. In many ways, I want a fresh start. I have debt that I would like to pay off and money I would like to save. With my qualifications, though, I cannot see being hired out of state, so I focused on larger areas of the state that are not suburbs of Chicago.

Thank you all again for your advice. I would be thrilled with any more information.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,424,065 times
COL will definitely be lower, but for state jobs I think that your competition will run high. My father worked for the state for over three decades, and more and more recently he has talked about how they have been scaling back hiring and waiting to fill positions because of state finances. My friend recently acquired a job with the Illinois state board of education, but it was no insignificant task to procure this position. She also has a background in psychology, if that's any consolation regarding your background.

If you are going to work for any state organization other than the University of Illinois, you'll likely find yourself in Springfield or its surrounding areas. It's a nice enough city, and some things there are up-and-coming, but it's generally pretty sleepy. There's basically everything you could want there, but if you are looking for more large city amenities, St. Louis and Chicago are easy getaways on the train or via car.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,313,722 times
Default How can I help?

I know far more about Peoria and the Illinois River Valley than I do the rest of the state as its been home for over 70 years. Peoria and Peoria County are about the same size as the Springfield MSA, yet they are very different. For one thing Springfield is in the Illinois Plains; Peoria is not. Springfield has an Amtrak stop; Peoria does not.

Both have meat markets, and fish markets. Both have a wide variety of good restaurants. B-N has two malls as does Peoria. Bloomington and Springfield each have a zoo; Peoria has two. B-N has two hospitals, Springfield has three; Peoria has five. Peoria and Springfield both have medical schools and and a children's hospital. Peoria and Springfield both have malls and plenty of strip malls. Peoria is across the river in East Peoria which has a huge shopping center with restaurant not in Peoria. It is locate on 100 acres once occupied by CAT.
All have at least one Steak n' Shake. I began in Bloomington.

Both have the same kind of crime: gangs in specific areas you won't live or work in. It is much the same in B-N and U-C but on a smaller scale.

Springfield has Abe Lincoln; Peoria has CAT, Riverfront, and Wheels O' Time museums. Springfield also hosts the State Library, State Historical, and State Genealogical organizations. Both have the same types of entertainment. Peoria hosts the second largest Juried Art Fair in the State. Springfield hosts the state fair. Peoria hosts a regional fair. You will find many of the same national restaurants and retailers in both cities. Even though Peoria and Springfield are in central Illinois they serve different regions in print media and television are coverage.

Springfield holds a New Year's Eve city-wide celebration .called First Night; it's very cool. East Peoria has a city wide celebration from Thanksgiving weekend to the first weekend in the New Year lighted Christmas display called FOLEPI. It kicks off with one of the largest night time parades in America. The Santa Claus parade in Peoria is the oldest in the nation. All of these events are bone-chilling cold if you're not dressed for it. Think downtown Chicago in winter and you will understand. It's all good fun and worth attending at least once.

One of the differences between Peoria and Springfield is not location its the city developed. Springfield is a basic grid. Peoria and Peoria county sprawl along the banks fo the Illinois River for about ffity miles; it's a bit like Chicago and the lake. IL 29 is a one-way SW to NE route between Bartonville and IL 26 on NE Adams and SW Jefferson streets in Peoria. It is a beautiful drive from 1-80 at Princeton exit south to Springfield that meanders through hills, cliffs, farms, towns along the river to Pekin and then to US 136 where it splits and continues to Springfield and enters the city near the airport. All four areas have some type of airport. Peoria just added gates and expanded the runway to support Aerobus. The balance of Peoria is more grid like as it's NSEW streets are mostly true. Main Street in Peoria is a major route that is horseshoe in shape. It leaves the river, passes two courthouses, turns left at the top of the hill, passes Bradley U to join Western Avenue and return to the river. Peoria absolutely drives those who have always lived in a grid city crazy.

The greatest percentage of shopping is north of War Memorial Drive (US 150).

Seven bridges in the illinois River Valley cross the 187 mile Illinois River between Havana in Mason County and Peoria Heights in Peoria County. Peoria Lake at one mile is its widest point. This is a deep channel commercial lane that is shared by sailboats and the the Spirit of Peoria. She is our authentic stern wheel paddleboat that offers river cruises from two hours to seven days in season.

All of the towns have parks. Peoria Park District manages 10,000 acres or more. The three largest parks are ovr 300 acres each. Whether you like to hike, bike, see a live summer performance in the only tented theatier-in-the-round in central Illinois, or fly a model airplane there is place to do it. The park district also offers space to those who would like to teach a skill or hobby. The resident "teacher" sets class size, time and cost to their 'students.' A teaching certificate is not required, but a sense of humor helps. It is a pleasant way to pick up some extra coin. Peoria also has horse-drawn carriage rides, and trolley tours hosed by the Peoria Historical Society.

Peoria is the oldest community on the river and perhaps the state. It was built on the backs of red, white, brown, black, and yellow labor. BEcause of its age, and how it developed it is not a particularly racist town. Nor is it rabidly political, or anti-gay. It is a union town. It is also a place where it is easy to network with your peers. Peoria has a very nice artist colony, non-traditional healing arts community, and active music and performing arts groups. You can find a glass blower, as easily as a sculptor, or hand made cigars.

Peoria is probably best known for Grandview Drive that meanders through Peoria Heights and Peoria. Teddy Roosevelt called it the "world's most beautiful drive." Nearby there is also a tower in Peoria Heights that overlooks the Illinois River Valley. The Peoria Zoo is about a mile or so south of the tower. If you like chocolate, or just good hand make breads and rolls, you will pass by Trefzger's Bakery. It's served Peoria over 100 years. Their chocolate breakfast roll easily fills an 8x10 box; there is usually ten other flavors available. Go early or order the night before.

You can also buy from the local restaurant wholesale house. It is an interesting place if you are looking for a particular product or a special gift. There is a huge difference in quality is the simple things such a potato peeler. It works 100 times better than what you buy at the 24-hour box store at a little price difference. Same for the bowl of paring knives that is always on the check out counter. I've had one for at least 10 years; the steel blade is still sharp.

I am biased toward Poeria as I grew up there and I know all the secrets - or most of them. Others know the other areas much better than I. Since I do not know your skills or life experience -- if I wanted to work in Peoria I would look at CAT, Bradley U, the City, the Park District, grocery stores, and perhaps the hospitals. The OSF campus is huge with many different venues from retail, drivers, office, retirement and hospice facilities. The Peoria Medical District is also home to several research facilities. Peoria has had a federal research facility since WWII or before. There are many county offices in the Peoria area too as well as the wild animal park.

One of the Peoria theatre groups is the 4th oldest in America. Peoria is also a port of call and a transportation hub that is regional. Products move into and out of Peoria by water, land, air and train just like Chicago. The seven counties in the Illinois River Valley have one thing in common. The river. The county borders meet in the middle. Stark to Marshall; Peoria to Woodford and Tazewell, and Mason to Fulton.

The latter two share the 13,000 acres of what is currently the largest inland wetland wildlife refuge in America. Mason County is where you find the only Illinois State Forest. If you like fish visit the Jake Wolfe hatchery. This area is adjunct to the Mississippi Flyway and its many feathered species. It is not uncommon to see the heron or white pelican during their annual flight between Canada and Mexico. The counties also share a ancient Indian history from the Mound Builders. The state museum at Lewistown in Fulton County is also a dig.

If you like politics Eurkea College in Woodford County houses the Reagan Museum. Most of the artifacts were donated by Reagan and are one of a kind. Metamora Courthouse in Woodford County was the where Lincoln tried his only murder case.Today it is a museum. You can follow two presidents to/from Woodford County. Lincoln was a Circuit Rider from Springfield to Woodford County. At 10 horse-miles per day, it was probably close to a nine to ten day ride one way without stops at other courts along the way.

The Peoria housing stock is diverse from lofts on the river to McMansions and everything in between. Before you make a decision come to Peoria for a couple fo days and look around. Spend some time in the stores, read the papers and do not forget to read the yellow pages. By the time you leave you will know whether or not its a fit. Most people who come to Peoria find their niche. One of the grocery store managers moved from Chicago; another moved from St. Louis. If I didn't mention it there are several warehouses of various sizes and types from candies to liquor, beer and wines.

Take a deep breath. You're about to embark on a new life journey. Welcome to other Illinois - where you can see the stars at night, the bats fly, and hear the call of the night birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonak View Post
I would be thrilled with any more information.

Last edited by linicx; 11-04-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 11-04-2013, 05:08 PM

Wow linicx - thank you so very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois