Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 17,754 times

Advertisements

Low crime, quiet place to live, cost of living and a good place for kids to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Very detailed and helpful information! Thank you so much (LINICX)!

Old 08-08-2013, 02:40 PM

Ok Rabflmom, thanks.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:50 PM

Good info, thanks madpaddy

Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
I still can't figure out if you're interested in Charleston or the South suburbs, so I guess I'll answer just in case it's the former.

I spent 3.5 years in Charleston as a student and another year in neighboring Mattoon. I would have to get an extremely compelling job offer from the university to even consider moving a family down there. I'd probably commute from Champaign/Urbana instead, and I don't even like C-U that much. But that's how much I shudder at just the thought of ever living in Charleston or especially Mattoon again. There's just no vitality down there, and any intellectual curiosity you'd expect to pour from the university and influence the town culture just.... doesn't. It stops pretty much right at the university property line.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,077,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
IL Minimum wage in $8.50 but if you are an unskilled worker you'll most likely work part time (less than 40 hours) at Federal minimum wage with no health benefits. It is very common practice in grocery stores, nursing homes, retail box stores etc.. in rural towns. Low wages encourage petit crimes such as small value theft.
IL Min Wage is $8.25 not $8.50.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:20 AM

369 posts, read 761,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycityangie View Post
Low crime, quiet place to live, cost of living and a good place for kids to grow up.
Low crime and low cost of living yes, but as others have said, low wages to match. And that's if you can even find a job, the minimum wage jobs are taken by college students during the school year and high school kids during the summer. I was unemployed most of the 2 years I lived in Charleston because of this. McDonalds told me I was overqualified because I had a bachelors degree. Quiet depends on what part of town you live in. Avoid the area around the university north to Harrison Ave, east to Rt 130, south to Coolidge Ave, and west to University Dr. This is where the college kids live and they are LOUD.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Is it quiet north of Harrison? I know the downtown bar scene is much less active since the bar entry age was raised from 19 to 21, but it seems some of those bars still get pretty busy with college kids on weekends.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,077,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
Low crime and low cost of living yes, but as others have said, low wages to match. And that's if you can even find a job, the minimum wage jobs are taken by college students during the school year and high school kids during the summer. I was unemployed most of the 2 years I lived in Charleston because of this. McDonalds told me I was overqualified because I had a bachelors degree. Quiet depends on what part of town you live in. Avoid the area around the university north to Harrison Ave, east to Rt 130, south to Coolidge Ave, and west to University Dr. This is where the college kids live and they are LOUD.
Two years of unemployment, huh? Did you try not mentioning your bachelor's degree when applying to somewhere like McDonalds?

Last edited by urza216; 08-14-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 AM

369 posts, read 761,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Is it quiet north of Harrison? I know the downtown bar scene is much less active since the bar entry age was raised from 19 to 21, but it seems some of those bars still get pretty busy with college kids on weekends.
The "townie" bars didn't have a favorable reputation among the college kids I associated with. The bars near 4th & Lincoln are the hot spot. I made the mistake of living on 4th St, between Polk & Tyler. I thought I was far enough north, but I was surrounded by party kids. To me the atmosphere was noticeably calmer after crossing over the creek just north of Harrison. But yeah on Friday & Saturday nights it's probably wise to just avoid the entire town west of Rt 130. Far too many drunk drivers and drunk pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois