Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 02:03 PM

12 posts, read 51,068 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to Scott AFB. My friend that lives in Troy said that the nicer areas are Troy, Edwardsville, O'Fallon, Shiloah, and Mascoutah. Any opinions on this? I have 2 sons that are 18 and 12, so school issues are important. I would like to live someplace that is not too congested traffic wise, but has a country feel, someplace that I can get to stores within 10-15 minutes. My hubby would be working someplace in St. Louis. Not sure yet.

Thanks,
Kathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 03:45 PM

285 posts, read 1,067,895 times
CellarBelle will be chiming in here about this.

Will you actually be working or stationed at Scott AFB? Edwardsville is 30 miles to Scott.

If you live in Mascoutah/O Fallon/Shiloh/Fairview Heights (my town), be wary of the I-64 construction. A major vessel (I64/MO40) is being shut down for 2 years, so alternate routes are a necessity. I used to take I-64 to I-270, but now I take 255S all the way around to my job (added about 10 minutes on to my commute without traffic).

CellarBelle will give all the information necessary about Edwardsville.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 10,667 times
Kat17,
I was stationed at Scott from 2002-2005. Are you in the AF or working on the base? O'Fallon has good schools... Edwardsville is a bit of a commute to Scott.

Also, don't count belleville out as it is closest to Scott AFB. Belleville is ironically shaped like a bell with the east side being where Scott is and west belleville. They are literally like two different towns. Most of East Belleville as well as downtown are nice areas. The west side borders on East St. Louis which is NOT a desirable place to live. East Belleville HS is a good school. If you have any specific questions on the area let me know.

Being originally from and currently living in Chicago area, the commuting time is very good to St Louis relatively speaking. I-64 moves compared to Chicago highway system. O'Fallon is a growing area with a lot of restaurants/shopping/etc going up. Depending on where you're coming from, I think you'll enjoy the area. There isn't quite as much as Chicago, but I was still impressed with how much there is to do in the area. The humidity is awful though. lol.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:05 PM

32 posts, read 642,043 times
Hi Kat. We PCS'd to the area in '01 and bought a house in O'Fallon. We love it BUT I'm not gonna lie, the property taxes are outrageous! Unfortunately, that seems to be the case in the whole area.

I have a daughter at OTHS (O'Fallon's High School) and a kiddo at LaVerna Evans Elementary. We do have a crowding issue here at the schools...especially the middle and high schools. BUT...a new 9th grade campus is being built along with a new Junior High. That should ease the crowding tremendously. Even with the present overcrowding, the schools are top notch and we've only had positive experiences!!!

The whole area has a 'country' feel...one reason why I love it so much. Certainly not as many corn fields as when we first moved here and new subdivisions are going up all over the place. But it still feels rural. The nice thing though, is that we have all the fun places to eat and shop that you'll probably want. And if something is missing, St. Louis is minutes away. Of course as someone mentioned, there is a lot of construction going on but that's the way it goes, I guess. The new improvements will be nice when they're completed!!!

I'd be glad to answer any other questions you have and I hope this info helps!

Old 11-02-2007, 04:14 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,659 times
Juice is right... here I am! Read my other posts to learn all about the Edwardsville/Glen Carbon area. Troy is also growing and would put you a little closer to Scott than Ed/GC. You can't beat our schools and the community is awesome! Good luck!

Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,659 times
Oh! And Greg is correct. O'Fallon has great schools and is a great option is you desire a short commute. Edwardsville will find you driving about 30 minutes to get to the Base.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:56 PM

285 posts, read 1,067,895 times
O'Fallon feels rural? Wow! I lived about 80 miles from OFallon my entire life until recently, and THAT is rural. I would never consider O'Fallon rural at all.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:55 AM

12 posts, read 47,102 times
Default O'Fallon

[quote=Linnie;1895854].

I have a daughter at OTHS (O'Fallon's High School) and a kiddo at LaVerna Evans Elementary. We do have a crowding issue here at the schools...especially the middle and high schools. BUT...a new 9th grade campus is being built along with a new Junior High. That should ease the crowding tremendously. Even with the present overcrowding, the schools are top notch and we've only had positive experiences!!!

I am also moving to the Scott AFB area and am considering calling O'Fallon home for the next four years. I would have two children at the high school (9th and 11th). Are you still happy with the school and the area? Do you know anything about the band? My older son has been in a great band for five years and this is a priority for him since he wants to march in college. Also, do you know anything about Windy Hill Estates? I am interested in a house in that neighborhood, but will not be able to visit the area for another two weeks. At that time I will only have 2 days to house hunt. Any information would be helpful.
Thanks,
jdonald

Old 05-11-2008, 03:00 PM

252 posts, read 495,148 times
Post Kat17

Hi Kat17,
We are temporarily living in Colorado, having been stationed at Scott afb, we are hoping (and praying) to be back there before years end! You will love it there, we lived in Mascoutah and still own our house there which we rent out. Mascoutah is a small friendly town with a village feel, the High school there is one of the best in Illinois, my sons loved it there, my 15 yr old reminds me daily, that he is ready to go back! there are local shops and restaurants within very easy reach, it isn't as up to date as say O'Fallon or Belleville, but if you are happy to live in a quieter smaller area, Mascoutah is really a great place to call home. Good luck with your move!
Kim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois