Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 AM

221 posts, read 357,850 times

Advertisements

did you see this ? we are now the 2nd highest for property tax

Illinois Policy Institute - Blog - Illinois sky high property taxes 2nd-highest in nation

I was looking at homes today in all the counties in Northern IL. and I cant believe how high the tax is,
homes are worth less money but the taxes go up and up .

I think this is a major cause for the Exodus to other states .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:54 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
It is probably part of the problem but folks also have to get a little perspective. I personally like the range of options that smart shoppers can choose from to get good value in a well run school district IF they understand the trade offs. I much prefer the amount of LOCAL CONTROL that having volunteer neighbors make decisions about property taxes gives to those who bother to stay involved in the process.

The alternative of EVEN higher INCOME TAXES that are set in deals hashed about by power mad corrupt overpaid Spingfield politicians and then collected by the insideous payroll process or the even more regressive sales taxes that disappear into coffers of towns that shopper often have zero interaction with is far worse...

Look at the utter nightmare that is Detroit or California before you wish for any massive overhaul of our property taxes!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 AM

221 posts, read 357,850 times
I think the only people who think it's ok for the property rates to go up and up and get out of control are the people lining their pockets with the money or the school board and people milking state pensions.
and they want us all to pay more for them , the problem is I'm not seeing the benefit for me .
As the State gets more in debt our taxes keep going up.

Illinois’s protracted fiscal problem — an estimated $96 billion in unfunded pension liabilities, the most of any state in the country.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/07/us...ture.html?_r=0

Illinois is making things bad just like California and the states you mentioned.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM

562 posts, read 988,778 times
I have no problem paying into the school system; I just have a hard time believing that's where the money is ACTUALLY headed.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Zones, local real estate taxes stay local to support schools, community and county services such as the courthouse, city and county jail, hospital, library, streets, water, & sewer, bridges, road repair, city and county employees, etc.. Taxes collected by the state include state income, business, and taxes charged on food stuffs, parts, and other items. No tax on Rx or labor. The state ??? sets the tax formula your County Tax Assessor uses.

I've lived in other states where I paid real estate tax plus personal tax oh vehicles and other large items. I remember when washer/dryer, TV were taxed, too. When it was all added up there was little difference between that place and central Illinois.

Lower taxes are in small pockets of a county where there is plated land in a township but it is not inside the physical border of any village, any city, or any town. It is difficult to find near Peoria that is not in Peoria Heights or near the airport. Peoria also assesses a Park Tax. If you are next to, or across the street from, any park in Peoria you will pay a special Park Tax which is separate from the general park tax most counties assess.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 PM

627 posts, read 1,845,842 times
We left Illinois in 2008 because of the sprawl of the suburbs and the high taxation.

We paid $5,000 a year in property taxes in Kendall County for a $190,000 townhome with no yard. In Franklin TN we are paying $2,300 a year in property taxes on a $410,000 house on 3 acres close to everything.

The property taxes in IL were absurd 5 years ago. Now that they increased the income taxes "temporarily" it's even more ludicrous.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:46 PM

562 posts, read 988,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Zones, local real estate taxes stay local to support schools, community and county services such as the courthouse, city and county jail, hospital, library, streets, water, & sewer, bridges, road repair, city and county employees, etc.. Taxes collected by the state include state income, business, and taxes charged on food stuffs, parts, and other items. No tax on Rx or labor. The state ??? sets the tax formula your County Tax Assessor uses.

I've lived in other states where I paid real estate tax plus personal tax oh vehicles and other large items. I remember when washer/dryer, TV were taxed, too. When it was all added up there was little difference between that place and central Illinois.

Lower taxes are in small pockets of a county where there is plated land in a township but it is not inside the physical border of any village, any city, or any town. It is difficult to find near Peoria that is not in Peoria Heights or near the airport. Peoria also assesses a Park Tax. If you are next to, or across the street from, any park in Peoria you will pay a special Park Tax which is separate from the general park tax most counties assess.
Thanks for clarifying; I wonder if living near the nature reserve affects my rent rates. It's pretty low overall though.

Really though, I wish Peoria would spend some money to fix the atrocious roads...

Last edited by Zoness; 02-25-2013 at 03:02 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
We left Illinois in 2008 because of the sprawl of the suburbs and the high taxation.

We paid $5,000 a year in property taxes in Kendall County for a $190,000 townhome with no yard. In Franklin TN we are paying $2,300 a year in property taxes on a $410,000 house on 3 acres close to everything.

The property taxes in IL were absurd 5 years ago. Now that they increased the income taxes "temporarily" it's even more ludicrous.
Collar county taxes are higher. In 2008 paid 50% more taxes on SF home worth 125% more located in NW Cook County. No doubt taxes in TN are lower and there is no State Income tax; but I understand school quality is also much spottier than in IL. How are the park district programs and libraries?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM

627 posts, read 1,845,842 times
The state parks in Tennessee are outstanding. The county and city parks where I live are very good as well.

The schools where I live are great.

I never went to a library in the suburbs nor have I went to one in Tennessee, so I have no idea how they compare.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
That mayor sucks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois