Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times

Advertisements

I've never been to a 4th fireworks display in Peoria. I usually watched from Fondulac Drive in E.P., and then went to Grandview Drive in PH to watch the the other fireworks up and down the river. The shows get bigger and better as pyrotechnics improve.

Other events that bring tourists: Annual Juried Art Fair, (largest downstate), TT Finals, Santa Parade (oldest in nation), FOLEPI (one of the largest night time Christmas Parades in the U.S.), 4k Run (through hills), the Rubber Ducky Race, Medallion Hunt, and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 06:36 PM

223 posts, read 662,452 times
Great post, Linicx. One other item I'll throw out there is a visit to Tanner's Orchard, if you visit in the fall timeframe that Linicx mentioned. They have great apple cider and donuts (and apples, of course -- best honeycrisp I've had), and you can pick your own. I'd call ahead for details, but they also have a petting zoo/activity area for kids; I'm just not sure if it's always open. Home - Tanners Orchard - Apples and Cider in Central Illinois

Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM

Doglover is that the orchard up around Dunlap? If it is, its a waste of time. We went up and spent a bunch of money for apples that were terrible. Never went again. It very hard to say what the drought last year did to the apples this year or how long it takes for a fruit tree to fully recover. In any case they're not opening until Sept. 22 because of the drought.last year.

If the OP brings children the Wheels O' Time Museum and the wild animal park will be more suitable fo children. There is also the annual Renaissance Faire at Jubille Park that is a lot of fun, the planetarium, a powwow in Chillicothe, and 4 day two weekend Spoon River Drive the first two weekends in October.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:56 AM

223 posts, read 662,452 times
It's the one off of Rte. 40 (Knoxville?) but certainly past Dunlap. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience; I'm actually surprised that it was disappointing, but you're right that even nationally, recent apple crops have been off..... In any event, when there's a better crop, I swear, I would think this is a great place to go. A local favorite, really!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:28 AM

It was a long drive and not much going on except walking around the orchard. What really got me was the apples smelled sweet but they weren't good eating apples or baking apples. The applesauce I made was okay, though. The other problem was none of the apples were what I was familiar with like the Jonathan or the Granny Smith. The apples did not live up to their exotic names. I don't know a thing about fruit trees such as how soil, weather and chemicals affect the end product. I'm near an apple orchard. I was never excited about those apples either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois