Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2006, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,688 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping for a final offer on a job near the Edison station on the Metra Chicago-Northwestern line. My wife and I would like to find an apartment, but we're not familiar with the NW 'burbs.

I lived in Downer's for 2 years, but we're in Ohio currently. We'll be making around 60k together.

So, Des Plaines? Mt. Prospect? Crystal Lake? We want to keep it cheap so we can save to buy a house.

Thanks.

/Evanston does sound nice, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2006, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,345 times
I just moved to MT. Prospect from Columbus and I actually like it alot here. The Metra is only 3-4 miles away and not a lot of traffic. Shopping is everywhere, Oakbrook, Schaumburg, Skokie are all about 15 min drives. Our rent is $735 for a 1bdrm (The Colony apts, they have a website), this was the best we could find for a nice place with a dishwasher and laundry & fitness. No houses here though unless your dropping 230K. By the way,...GO BUCKS!!!!! c/o 04 & 05

Last edited by cigga24; 01-19-2006 at 03:14 PM..

Old 01-21-2006, 04:26 AM

2 posts, read 21,683 times
Mt. Prospect is a good idea, and on the Metra NW line. Also Palatine and near Dee Road. Arlington Heights is pricey. Stay away from Evanston. See the posts on that topic elsewhere in this forum. It's crime-ridden and expensive.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,344 times
Edison Park is actually really nice if that's where you are working.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,345 times
Moved here from Westlake, OH four years ago. Actually rented an apartment across the street from the Edison Park Metra station for the first year. Very nice neighborhood. The farther west you go on the Metra UP Northwest line the cheaper the housing. Consider Barrington and points west. You'll still have a decent commute (by train) and save money at the same time. If you're a Buckeye fan there are several sports bars where fans gather to watch the games. Great way to feel at home. Check out http://www.ohiostatealumnichicago.org/gamewatch.htm (broken link). There's also a gamewatch in the far western suburbs, but it's not posted right now, because there will be a new location next year.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,343 times
Default Crystal Lake

Crystal Lake is at the far end of the northwest line, so it takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to go to Chicago. They biult a new Metra station and nw houses right behind the station. There is always constant biulding in Crystal Lake, Mostly single family houses and can be expensive. There is plenty of shopping but just chain stores and restraunts.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:32 AM

7 posts, read 47,438 times
go with edison park it is more convenient.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,237 times
I agree with renting around Edison Park (or even Norwood Park) until you get acclimated to the area. It is convenient to Park Ridge, close to the Kennedy expressway and there are a lot of rentals in the area. Then you could look at suburbs on that trainline and determine which suits your needs.

Crystal Lake and Woodstock are very far out, imho, but they are growing and provide opportunity to get more land/house for the money. Depends on what you're looking for.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:30 PM

5 posts, read 23,177 times
I grew up in Norwood Park, it's a nice area with a great park and good schools.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,688 times
Default Well, I appreciate the responses...

I thought I'd check back in to let you all know my wife and I settled on a nice place in LaGrange Park. I've got a 20-minute drive up Mannheim to work (yes, in Edison Park) and she walks to the train for a 20-min ride to the loop. It's definately a nice suburb, a little tight-collared for my taste. It helps that we're close to our only friends and acquaintances, who live in Bolingbrook.

I've really gotten attached to the Edison Park area, however, and we may move up here yet. It's a little worrisome, coming from a town of 10,000, because I just gotta have a backyard. But, we'll see.

Thanks for the info, and I will be watching Buckeye football every weekend. I've got tickets to the NIU-OSU game and I'd really like to score the Northwestern game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois