Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2006, 02:02 PM
TMK TMK started this thread

1 posts, read 8,812 times

Advertisements

I've discovered that Danville has the lowest median price for homes in the U.S. Is there something happening there that has made home prices go down (crime, plant closures, etc.)? I'm considering buying some property there but don't know what the going rent is for homes (ex: 3-bed/2-bath 1300 sq. ft.). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 03:17 PM

12 posts, read 41,669 times
Lots of plant closings the past couple of years in Danville which has probably contributed to the higher crime rate. You might check out this website for an idea of rents in the area: removed/

Last edited by Marka; 08-29-2006 at 02:48 AM..

Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 PM

5 posts, read 24,193 times
Born and raised in Danville, have been gone from there for 30 years, visited last month, looks like a nuke bomb was dropped. I literally cried as I drove around to the places I lived and went to school, etc. looks like no urban planning, vacant lots, boarded up houses, in nice res. areas. GM closed years ago, when I was a kid "everybody's" dad worked there. If I had not left 30 years ago I would be leaving now. There are plenty of places to get deals on real estate, this place just seems sad and creepy. Sorry for such a neg. comment, I was just shocked to see what has happened there.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 8,811 times
My father lived in Danville and my grandparents.I didn't know them well at all as mom and dad divorced when i was about a year old. I would like to find out Information about them .Dad died in 1966 his name is Donald L.Alexander.if I could find the Funeral Home in Danville i might find some info.But i can't remember the name, and he was buried in a military cemetary.need help on some Info.

Last edited by daalex; 11-12-2006 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Looking for family history .Son James Alexander

Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 AM

3 posts, read 16,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daalex View Post
My father lived in Danville and my grandparents.I didn't know them well at all as mom and dad divorced when i was about a year old. I would like to find out Information about them .Dad died in 1966 his name is Donald L.Alexander.if I could find the Funeral Home in Danville i might find some info.But i can't remember the name, and he was buried in a military cemetary.need help on some Info.

The military cemetery is out on East Main Street. Your best bet for finding your dad's death certificate, is to contact the Vermilion County Clerk, at the courthouse annex, which is on the north-west corner of Main and Vermilion. The website is here: http://www.co.vermilion.il.us/ctyclk.htm. You can find information on the Danville National Cemetery here: http://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/danvilleil.asp.

I looked on the nationwide military grave locator. There is no record of a Donald Alexander, who died in 1966, with a grave in a military cemetery. I did find this, however.
ALEXANDER, DONALD LEROY
SP4 US ARMY
VIETNAM
DATE OF BIRTH: 07/13/1942
DATE OF DEATH: 10/22/2005
BURIED AT: SECTION 20 SITE 375
DANVILLE NATIONAL CEMETERY, IL
1900 EAST MAIN STREET VA MEDICAL CENTER DANVILLE, IL 61832
(217) 554-4550

Old 09-26-2010, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 12,825 times
Default whats happening in Danville

Hi Guys
I live in Ireland and have been thinking of buying property in Danville.
The cost of property is quite low but I am wondering if this is because the area has become bad.
Property is cheap in Detroit but when one looks harder the crime is very bad so one would wonder if tenants would stay.
Has Danville changed for the worse.
What areas would be good to concider buying in and not buying in.
I plan to visit in Nov and it would be nice to have an idea along with Realtors opinions.
Any ideas or comments you have I would appreciate.
thanks
john

Old 09-30-2010, 08:52 AM

58 posts, read 169,996 times
Businesses are closing down, people losing jobs, and others are moving away. I grew up in the Danville area. I went to DACC. It's becoming more like a ghetto. It is a very depressed neighborhood.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,731 times
i live near danville all my life and it once was a nice place to live plenty of jobs shopping areas and so on but ever since walmart opened and plants are closing. businesses are all leavin people are movin and it has turned in to the ghetto... there is nothing here. crime has skyrocketed. i would avoid coming here at all cost only reason im still here is i cant yet afford to get out.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 12,825 times
thanks guys for the honest answers i do appreciate your help
I hope things get better for you all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois