Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:18 PM

52 posts, read 135,010 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I'm new and decided to jump in here with both feet since this is a subject that I feel very strongly about.

In May of 2006, the congressional Budget Office estimated that the 14 mile San Diego border fence would cost $3 million per mile to construct. (The Corps of Engineers estimated $1.3 million per mile)
$3 million x 1952 miles of border = $5,856,000,000

The Corps of Engineers estimated that such a fence would cost from $1,742 to $17,753 per mile per year to maintain, depending on how much damage it sustained. If the fence were built and sustained an average amount of damage in the next 5 years, the cost for maintenance would be $45,644,000.

$5,856,000,000 construction cost
$ 45,644,000 maintenance
$5,901,644,000 total cost for the border fence

A recent cost assessment by the Center for American Progress for deporting 8 million illegal immigrants in this country put the cost at between $206 billion and $230 billion dollars over 5 years. (10 million - 20% self-deportation rate)

$230,000,000,000 - deportation
+ $ 5,901,644,000 - fence construction and maintenance
$235,901,644,000 - total

In the report “The Fiscal Cost of Low Skill Immigrants to the American Taxpayer”, Robert Rector of the Heritage Foundation estimates that there were 10 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. in 2004 and 4.5 million households headed by a LSI (low skill immigrant - one without a high school diploma).
Testifying before the House Judiciary Committee, Mr. Rector estimated that in 2004 the average LSI household generated a fiscal deficit of $19,588, resulting in a total of $89.1 billion.

Estimates of the number of illegal aliens who enter the U.S. each year vary widely, from 700,000 to well over one million. Half of those will not have a high school diploma and will create approximately 157,500 new LSI households per year. (700,000 divided by 2 = 350,000 x 45% = 157,500)
The addition of 157,500 new LSI households with an average fiscal deficit of $19,588 results in $3,085,110 of additional deficit each year. If that trend continues, the total cost for the next 5 years will be $660,408,630,000.

$660,408,630,000 projected expense for illegal alien households
-$235,901,644,000 for fence construction and deportation
$425,506,985,944 savings for the American taxpayer over the next 5 years if the fence is built and illegal aliens are deported.

The estimates I’ve seen for Border Fence construction do not include land acquisition and the San Diego fence extends 150 feet north of the international border.

In 1907 President Roosevelt reserved all public lands within 60 feet of the border with Mexico within the state of California and the territories of Arizona and New Mexico. This excluded any land legally owned at the time. However, much of the needed land could be acquired by eminent domain if necessary.

According to the Congressional Research Service report “Border Security: Barriers Along the U.S. International Border”, one problem area is the Tohono O’odham reservation in Arizona. The tribe reportedly vowed to fight the construction of the border fence. Since this is one of the most heavily trafficked areas in the country, I would give the tribe an ultimatum. Either the fence is built along the border with reasonable compensation, or it is built around the reservation. If they change their mind at any time during, or after construction, they would have to pay for whatever amount of the fence has been built.

One argument that I’ve heard in favor of amnesty for illegal aliens is that, without their cheap labor, the prices of many things will go up. However, IF those currently employing illegal aliens follow the law in the new immigration reform bill, those same workers will suddenly be “on the books’ and will have to be paid at least the minimum wage and consumer prices will go up anyway!!

Another argument against the Border Fence is the possible environment impact.
We KNOW that drug smugglers and illegal immigrant traffic have been severely damaging the environment for years!

In 2002 illegal immigrants were suspected of starting 8 major wildfires in Arizona. Those fires burned over 100 square miles and cost taxpayers over $5 million to fight.

Fred Patton, chief ranger at the Organ Pipe Nation Monument, said in 2004 “We’ve now got 300 miles of illegal roads those people have cut through the desert and thousands of miles of illegal trails they’ve created. We collect over 30 vehicles a year and we measure the trash they leave behind, everything from cans and bottles to clothes, by the ton. And they’ve fouled the few water sources to the point they are too filthy now even for the animals to drink.”

If 500,00 people cross the border each year and leave behind the average of 8 pounds of trash each that is a total of 2,000 tons of trash each year!!

While the Border Fence may interfere with the migration of a few endangered species, their fate is surely sealed if the Fence is not built!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,210 times
Great post and really pertinent information.

Thanks Kate.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:43 PM

398 posts, read 1,410,025 times
good post. I didn't make the math before but I think any rational mind would know that even spending hundreds of billion of dollars to deport them all and seal the border, is much cheaper than keeping them here in the long term.

Having these people here is like trying to climb a mountain with 50 pounds of unnecessary rocks in a backpack.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:54 PM

739 posts, read 831,202 times
Add in that approximately 20 Americans are killed each day at the hands of illegal immigrants (through traffic accidents, murder, etc.) and every year we have 7,000 fewer productive Americans!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 PM

52 posts, read 135,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Add in that approximately 20 Americans are killed each day at the hands of illegal immigrants (through traffic accidents, murder, etc.) and every year we have 7,000 fewer productive Americans!

You're absolutely right, BB. And then there's the 10s of billions of dollars in remitances sent to Mexico each year!

Thank you eaglecall and Kele. I've passed this along in emails, faxed and emailed it to senators, handed out copies to co-workers (who were totally clueless). Trying to get the word out and get more people involved.

Last edited by just kate; 06-13-2007 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,902,374 times
Quote:
It sounds like war, not just invasion.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,845 times
Quote:
I agree......
But then there are "pro" people debating, that this is NOT TRUE, MADE UP in a propaganda campaign, and that americans are not killed, but indeed are just lazy, not wanting to do certain jobs behaving superior above all....(having blinders over eyes and select hearing at best )
But I have an idea......
Have the illegals build the fence, and deport them after completion.
That way, at least they showed the effort of "paying" back the US ,making up for staying illegally, and giving BACK to society
And while at it, saddle them all up with the trash they came with, just to take back with them to wherever they came from.
That should solve some of the problem.....Don't ya think???

Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,125 times
I say you make the first 500 yards past the boarder a free fire zone ... you'll have every redneck in the country down on boarder from San Diego to Brownsville with a case of ammo and deer stand. Likely a little PBR too.

Disclaimer: I am not condoning violence or suggesting people do this, and I'm from the south and drive a 4X4, so I'm free to use the term 'redneck' with impunity.

Man I hate political correctness ....

Old 06-18-2007, 10:11 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I say you make the first 500 yards past the boarder a free fire zone ... you'll have every redneck in the country down on boarder from San Diego to Brownsville with a case of ammo and deer stand. Likely a little PBR too.

Disclaimer: I am not condoning violence or suggesting people do this, and I'm from the south and drive a 4X4, so I'm free to use the term 'redneck' with impunity.

Man I hate political correctness ....
Boy, I know if that would fly, that some of the boys I know here in PA would be front and center....lol....
Did you say beer? I'm coming too..........
But, seriously, WHY can't we protect our border with firepower, since they are criminals and illegals, filtrating into this country?
And, at this point, it seems more like an invasion.....

Old 06-18-2007, 10:33 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,499 times
Great Post just Kate. It spells things out very clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration