Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,505 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,

I'm an immigrant Latino living in the USA for 40 years and I love the USA, my adopted country, my favorite place to be.

Although I cherish my Hispanic background and will always - essentially - be a product of my heritage, I can clearly see both sides of the issue because I've absorbed many of the USA Anglo-Saxon traditions I've come to admire.

I've seen so much barely disguised racial and cultural contempt directed at the immigration issue that I would like to mention some of the more misguided items:

a) illegal immigrants are not taking jobs from anybody
==> Wrong, wrong, wrong! There are plenty of US citizens that would love to have the trades jobs now done by illegals and make $15.00 a hour or more.

b)Illegal immigrants just want a fair chance to become legal residents
==> OK, fair enough, but before you start demonstrations asking for more liberal US immigration policies I propose that you look at your country of origin and see what's there.
As an example: Mexico has some of the harshest and most draconian immigration policies of any country in the world!

c) Illegal immigrants are just like us, they want the same things out of life
==> No they are not! Many Latino immigrants come from lawless countries and do not have a deep and abiding respect for the law....I know, I have lived in countries south of the border and seen the endemic graft, payola, and corruption up close and personal.

The above opinion of of inherited cultural traits, manners, and perspective is more than witnessed in most of the countries in Latin America and buttressed by the undeniable fact that the Spanish conquistadors came here to rape, plunder, and pillage..an inheritance that was passed on to their generations.

d) If it looks like a duck and it walks like a duck...it must be a duck!
Political correctness be damned! Racial profiling or not, some mistakes will be made. Heck, why stop with the suspected illegal aliens? Let the law apply to all people alike: Anglos and all others! Set up road checkpoints and take a look at everybody's ID.

More later....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 05:50 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,374,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salto99 View Post
Hi Everybody,

I'm an immigrant Latino living in the USA for 40 years and I love the USA, my adopted country, my favorite place to be.

Although I cherish my Hispanic background and will always - essentially - be a product of my heritage, I can clearly see both sides of the issue because I've absorbed many of the USA Anglo-Saxon traditions I've come to admire.

I've seen so much barely disguised racial and cultural contempt directed at the immigration issue that I would like to mention some of the more misguided items:

==> Wrong, wrong, wrong! There are plenty of US citizens that would love to have the trades jobs now done by illegals and make $15.00 a hour or more.

==> OK, fair enough, but before you start demonstrations asking for more liberal US immigration policies I propose that you look at your country of origin and see what's there.
As an example: Mexico has some of the harshest and most draconian immigration policies of any country in the world!

==> No they are not! Many Latino immigrants come from lawless countries and do not have a deep and abiding respect for the law....I know, I have lived in countries south of the border and seen the endemic graft, payola, and corruption up close and personal.

The above opinion of of inherited cultural traits, manners, and perspective is more than witnessed in most of the countries in Latin America and buttressed by the undeniable fact that the Spanish conquistadors came here to rape, plunder, and pillage..an inheritance that was passed on to their generations.

Political correctness be damned! Racial profiling or not, some mistakes will be made. Heck, why stop with the suspected illegal aliens? Let the law apply to all people alike: Anglos and all others! Set up road checkpoints and take a look at everybody's ID.

More later....
I like it.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:14 PM

50,478 posts, read 47,209,181 times
Quote:
Hi Everybody,

More later....
On a day to day basis I drive through a check point, show my id to buy food, gas and then show it again to get into my office. It's not a big deal unless you are one of the miscreants hiding in the shadows sucking social services.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,171,072 times
Quote:
Hi Everybody,

More later....
Sad and infuriating but very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration