Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times

Advertisements

In relation to the news going on in Arizona with the immigration law enforcement that allows police officers to question immigration status:

I have a question as a Black American: it makes me laugh how people are making an uproar over the Arizona law that allows a police officer to approach someone who may "look" like an illegal immigrant, but when it came to cops harrassing black men or women who may have been in white neighborhoods, who may have driving a car that "looks like they could not have afforded it" or may have been hanging out by the wrong store at the wrong time, it flew under the radar. I just want to know: what's the difference? Black men (and women) have/had been harrassed by police officers for years, but now it's somehow wrong for it to happen to another group. I am not wanting to see anyone profiled or discriminated against, but where was the media and all this talk when the black young man was pulled over on the road and asked for his idea because he was in a neighborhood that was too "fancy" for him. It still happens today, so, can a black person be protected like the Hispanic?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:34 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,046 times
It happens, even to white people -- specifically, even a really famous white person. Ever heard of Bob Dylan? He went to take a walk before a concert he was doing and some Hispanics that lived in the neighborhood didn't like it. They called the cops and reported that some scruffy looking old white guy was walking through their neighborhood looking at houses, and he didn't belong there.

Here's the story:
Bob Dylan; A Complete Unknown to Cops - CBS News

I think profiling is wrong, no matter what color the person is that it's being done to.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:00 AM

555 posts, read 877,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
In relation to the news going on in Arizona with the immigration law enforcement that allows police officers to question immigration status:

I have a question as a Black American: it makes me laugh how people are making an uproar over the Arizona law that allows a police officer to approach someone who may "look" like an illegal immigrant, but when it came to cops harrassing black men or women who may have been in white neighborhoods, who may have driving a car that "looks like they could not have afforded it" or may have been hanging out by the wrong store at the wrong time, it flew under the radar. I just want to know: what's the difference? Black men (and women) have/had been harrassed by police officers for years, but now it's somehow wrong for it to happen to another group. I am not wanting to see anyone profiled or discriminated against, but where was the media and all this talk when the black young man was pulled over on the road and asked for his idea because he was in a neighborhood that was too "fancy" for him. It still happens today, so, can a black person be protected like the Hispanic?
I certaintly don't agree with DWB. It has gotten a lot of deserved attention, so I must assume it happens a lot less than it used to.

While your statement is correct, it just shows the political power of good organizing. Hispanics have better organizers and lobbyists than blacks. It is probably also true that Hispanic causes get more sympathy from white liberals than black causes.

Didn't a case go to the Supreme Court where the cops in Beverly Hills demanded ID from a black guy with dreads who was jogging thru there, and arrested him when he refused? IIRC, he won the case.

Fifteen years ago I did an experiment where I called several Catholic high schools in various parts of the country and asked them how many black students they had. Most refused to tell me. All Jesuit high schools I called told me without problem, including Pat Buchanan's high school, Gonzaga, in DC. The responses really surprised me. My feeling is the Catholic Church is much more sympathic toward Hispanics than they ever were toward blacks. I would love it if someone did this experiment today, only ask how many blacks, Hispanics, and whites. Tell them you are a sociology major at Notre Dame and this is for a paper.

One of the high schools I contacted was in Toledo. When they refused to tell me how many blacks they had, I emailed every student and faculty member and told them about it (their email addresses were all on their web site). The nastiest responses I got came from faculty members. Some black students were naturally perplexed. I just checked their current website. Their home page shows they now have a Latino student organization. I wonder if any Catholic high school in America has a black student organization.

Let the flames begin.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:20 AM

313 posts, read 344,105 times
Quote:

This is a joke, right?

Old 04-24-2010, 02:31 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
It happens, even to white people -- specifically, even a really famous white person. Ever heard of Bob Dylan? He went to take a walk before a concert he was doing and some Hispanics that lived in the neighborhood didn't like it. They called the cops and reported that some scruffy looking old white guy was walking through their neighborhood looking at houses, and he didn't belong there.

Here's the story:

I think profiling is wrong, no matter what color the person is that it's being done to.
Re: Bob Dylan

He got profiled WWW (walking while white)...

Old 04-24-2010, 02:57 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Quote:

Racial profiling that Blacks have experienced in this country and continue to do so is completely wrong. There is no excuse for it. The difference now is "time" and that we have a Black president that understands the disadvantage of minority groups. Let's also understand that Latinos have also experienced descrimination for years. Not to the extreme as Blacks but it is significant.

To answer your last question: Can a Black be protected like a hispanic? My answer would be, we have yet to see (90 days) if the SC will protect the rights of Hispanics. As minority groups, under Obama, we have a good start. Have we forgotten when Obama came out in defense of Prof. Henry Gates?

I thank you for at least acknowledging and admitting that Hispanics would be descriminated and racially profiled under this new law.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:10 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
@ geek, are you serious? This is the first time I hear of a Caucasian who is racially profiled. There are literally thousands of well documented situations of racial profiling against minorities. Many, many, MANY that were never documented out of fear. It is a well known fact that if you are Caucasian, you are priviledged in this country. Am I for racial profiling against Caucasians? Absolutely NOT! But to say that Caucasians are racially profiled is a complete joke.

@ rodomonte, traditionally in the US, most blacks are Baptist and not Catholic. I think this would in part explain why the low census of Black students in Catholic schools. How do you explain why there are so many African Catholics?Africa has many Catholic churches.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:05 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post

Here's the story:

The incident began at 5 p.m. when a resident said a man was wandering around a low-income, predominantly minority neighborhood several blocks from the oceanfront looking at houses.

I dont know what is worse, Kids dont know who Bob Dylan is or Hispanics are seen as Low income minorities.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:08 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Racial profiling that Blacks have experienced in this country and continue to do so is completely wrong. There is no excuse for it. The difference now is "time" and that we have a Black president that understands the disadvantage of minority groups. Let's also understand that Latinos have also experienced descrimination for years. Not to the extreme as Blacks but it is significant.

To answer your last question: Can a Black be protected like a hispanic? My answer would be, we have yet to see (90 days) if the SC will protect the rights of Hispanics. As minority groups, under Obama, we have a good start. Have we forgotten when Obama came out in defense of Prof. Henry Gates?

I thank you for at least acknowledging and admitting that Hispanics would be descriminated and racially profiled under this new law.
So, what's your answer? Do nothing? Keep on keeping on? Immigration "reform" does nothing to help AZ and it's problems with these people streaming across the border. Removal of them fixes it, doing nothing does just that.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:44 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,937 times
As a "white woman" slowly driving around in a company truck through an affluent neighborhood and being stopped, am I racially profiled? No. But I might be criminally profiled, which is fine.. It is up to security to ensure it's residents are safe so when strangers are seen riding around looking at houses, a simple what are you doing here is warranted. btw-I also own an expensive XKR Jag. If I were driving that car, I doubt I would be stopped. It is experience which warrants a reason to stop. More than likely one sizing up houses does not drive around in an expensive car. Should every car/truck be stopped every time? Of course not. Suspicion is due to the generality of components of a common crime. Racial profiling to me is a senseless law for these days, but good to keep it on the books protecting discriminatory acts of our past. Racism is dead in this country except for those who continue to perpetuate it and cry foul needlessly.

I have to add-yes, there are still racists in this world but I honestly believe most of those issues are dead and should remain there. Ignorant people usually dredge up this issue because they have lost "the argument" and has no other points to use. Terrible abuse of a terrible time that has passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration