Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:36 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,374,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I did IT for 6 years, the needed someone who can speak Spanish ( I work with many companies in multiple continents), since I speak Spanish, I can also communicate with people who speak Portuguese and Italian if we both speak slowly. And they couldn't find anyone here to fill in the spot. They actually sponsored quite a few people who could speak Spanish, Portuguese, French or any combination of those languages.

I no longer work on IT though, I am in grad school getting a Ph.D. in engineering, and judging from my class demographics, this is 'job' that U.S. citizens don't want either. More than half of the people I study with are on student visas, and also for most of them English is not their first language. I don't think even for the majority of my teachers English is their first language.

Now, you cannot cite economic reasons for not going through with a Ph.D., unless some very exceptional circumstances apply to you. It is rare to find a Ph.D. student (pre-candidate or candidate) who is paying for his degree out of his own pocket. We even get stipends to cover living expenses, you don't make a lot of money, but it's enough to cover the basics.

They even include health insurance for you and your family in a lot of the packages.
Engineering has been added to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,581,162 times
Quote:
I did IT for 6 years, the needed someone who can speak Spanish ( I work with many companies in multiple continents), since I speak Spanish, I can also communicate with people who speak Portuguese and Italian if we both speak slowly. And they couldn't find anyone here to fill in the spot. They actually sponsored quite a few people who could speak Spanish, Portuguese, French or any combination of those languages.

I no longer work on IT though, I am in grad school getting a Ph.D. in engineering, and judging from my class demographics, this is 'job' that U.S. citizens don't want either. More than half of the people I study with are on student visas, and also for most of them English is not their first language. I don't think even for the majority of my teachers English is their first language.

Now, you cannot cite economic reasons for not going through with a Ph.D., unless some very exceptional circumstances apply to you. It is rare to find a Ph.D. student (pre-candidate or candidate) who is paying for his degree out of his own pocket. We even get stipends to cover living expenses, you don't make a lot of money, but it's enough to cover the basics.

They even include health insurance for you and your family in a lot of the packages.
Quote:
A new study argues that the offshoring of U.S. jobs is caused by cost savings and not a shortage of U.S. engineers or better education in China. However, the study warns that the United States is losing its global edge.
Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers

Quote:
A commonly heard defense in the arguments that surround U.S. companies that offshore high-tech and engineering jobs is that the U.S. math and science education system is not producing a sufficient number of engineers to fill a corporation's needs.

However, a new study from Duke University calls this argument bunk, stating that there is no shortage of engineers in the United States, and that offshoring is all about cost savings.
Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers. (04-APR-07) eWeek

Old 06-02-2009, 06:57 PM

804 posts, read 1,361,488 times
From your first link:
Quote:
The report concludes by stating that outsourcing will continue to build enough momentum that the next big piece to be offshored is R&D, and that these jobs will require more Masters degrees and PhDs, something China graduates more of in engineering than the United States. The number of Indias engineering PhDs has remained flat, while Chinas has surged, the report said.

The study ultimately found that the United States has a tremendous amount of work to do to keep up, above and beyond fixing K-12 education.

"Even if the nation did everything that is needed, it will probably take 10 to 15 years before major benefits become apparent. Given the pace at which globalization is happening, by that time the United States would have lost its global competitive edge. The nation cannot wait for education to set matters right," said Wadhwa.

Furthermore, even while the education system does improve, the report pressures for a more welcome attitude toward skilled immigrants.

"It is clear that skilled immigrants bring a lot to the United States: They contribute to the economy, create jobs and lead innovation. H1Bs are temporary visas and come with many restrictions. If the nation truly needs workers with special skills, it should make them welcome by providing them with permanent resident status," Wadhwa said.
Both of the links quote the same study. And this is what I defend, extracted from the link you provided.

Did you actually read the articles? Or did you just stop at the title?

Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,581,162 times
Quote:
From your first link:

Both of the links quote the same study. And this is what I defend, extracted from the link you provided.

Did you actually read the articles? Or did you just stop at the title?
I read it several months ago, but thanks for asking. You implied U.S. citizens are not studying engineering, and that there is a shortage. According to the study, there is no shortage. The sections you bolded don’t change the results of the study. What’s your point?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
That list is getting mighty long.
Is there anything not on it?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 PM

46 posts, read 62,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Outsourcing is ONE way that people, including myself, have lost jobs, but with "The World Is Flat" Thomas Friedmen, Globalist-Mentality, the jobs are supposed to be created in the "Service Based Economy" sector..

That said, the "Service Based jobs" such as fast food, retail, cash station attendant, etc.. are being filled in mass numbers by Illegal Aliens.. Illegal Aliens are NOT only "digging ditches" and picking fruits, but are working in the meat cutting industry, and other assembly work as well as restaurants, etc..

Beleive me, if not for the migrant workers, our country would be in deep depression, I thank them every day.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:02 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,708,375 times
Quote:

You are in Ann Harbor, MI. and the company you worked for had a hard time finding someone? I don't think of Michigan as "international." Places like New York or California are places i think as international. Did they try to hire someone from out of state?

Quote:

Wow... that is amazing. I can only hope this happens to me in the future. I am trying to get my AAS to be able to get my foot in the door and have the company provide reimbursement for tuition for my BS.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:33 PM

291 posts, read 414,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
oh that was a long time ago in the 80s we saw the engineers from india come over , wow I remember the guy had no hands on experience in another words lots books but no real brains. that was right around when we stopped making things in factories in ca. In the old days you got a job and the company would help you get the degree if you showed promise.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:39 PM

50,467 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corre-caminos View Post
Beleive me, if not for the migrant workers, our country would be in deep depression, I thank them every day.

phhttttt

All those extra billions each year being siphoned off by Ilegals could have built many a pension and at least living wages for Americans.

Plus the 20 billion a year that has disappeared never to be seen again (remittances).

Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
phhttttt

All those extra billions each year being siphoned off by Ilegals could have built many a pension and at least living wages for Americans.

Plus the 20 billion a year that has disappeared never to be seen again (remittances).
Just a desperate DREAMie's rants; nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration