Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 04:49 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,970,578 times

Advertisements

Like a family member or a close friend ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,674 times
Yes, (not Jim Gilchrist's organization!) several good friends.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,490,943 times
Yes. He is a former coworker and a good friend. He has told me very interesting stories about the activities at the border

Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 PM

608 posts, read 924,449 times
I am. US Minuteman Defense Corp, serving to protect the interests, language, culture, and lifestyle of the US citizen . We aren´t the radicals that the media portrays us to be, nor are we racists, or subhuman monsters. Our membership includes US citizens of every race under the sun. By the way, if we see someone in dire need, whether a citizen or not, we help when we can. As far as those nutjobs on TV that raise arms against innocent people...They are extremists but not minutemen. We only defend and protect, never provoke. Regardless of whatever links my opposition may throw at me, I stand by my values, and would NEVER go out of my way to hurt another human being, unless first provoked.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,970,578 times
Quote:
Yes. He is a former coworker and a good friend. He has told me very interesting stories about the activities at the border
Are you comfortable enough to share some of those interesting stories with the rest of us here ?

Old 10-30-2008, 09:48 PM

608 posts, read 924,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Are you comfortable enough to share some of those interesting stories with the rest of us here ?
Actually, not too much happens there as you´d think. Generally, the crossing for most illegals is without much fanfare or event. Usually, we just call the patrol and tell them where the illegals have crossed and where they appear to be going. I have been fired upon in my backyard though by a group of illegals that weren´t too happy to be discovered crossing through my property. It was 2am, and I thought I heard noise in the yard...I was unarmed at the time, and the illegals moved on. Usually, our weapons of choice are cell phones, lawn chairs, and binoculars!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,490,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
No problem - no names, though .

Brief background: I've known him for several years. When he first told me he part of the Minuteman Project, I was a apprehensive. On one hand, he's my friend but on the other, as a minority myself, I wondered about his motive(s). As I try not to react without having all the facts, I essentially talked to him about it and, after putting it together with the person I knew, figured it was all right. He has NEVER said a thing to me that made me think, "This dude is a racist!" He's probably one of the most honest people I've ever met. I've been over to his house several times, met his family, etc. He's cool. No basement full of "Kill Mexicans" memorabilia . He's a little crazy sometimes, but aren't we all .

Anyway, from what I could gather from our numerous conversations, the Border Patrol are quite grateful they are there. The Minutemen are an extra set of eyes and ears. The MM do not actually approach illegals crossing the border - instead, they call it in and the BP apprehend them. The MM he 'works' with are regular guys. Some of them are veterans. They, and he, do not have any motive beyond securing our borders and stopping illegal immigration.

To some extent, he sympathizes with the illegal immigrant. He understands their reasons for coming here but is frustrated that they don't do it legally. Even more so, he is frustrated that OUR GOVERNMENT is turning a blind eye to this problem.

He's told me about very well armed drug smugglers and human traffickers who will approach the border from Mexico; if the MM happen to be patrolling near a 'popular' crossing, the smugglers will try to wait them out. Obviously, the MM, like the BP, can't be everywhere and it is like a cat and mouse game. They know he's there, call out to him, holler, wave, etc. Because of the rugged terrain, sometimes he'll hear them taunting him but he can't see where they are hiding. Under the cover of darkness, they'll make their way across. Sometimes he can see them because he has a spotlight. If he's call for the BP in time, they can apprehend them (or some of them).

He's told me about rock throwing exchanges - he figures if they throw a rock at him, he'll throw a rock at them . Regarding weapons, he initially only had a pistol. Now he has a rifle but he says compared to what the drug smugglers are packing he's way outgunned. The guns are purely defensive. He's not interested in firefights...

One thing that sticks out in my mind is his observation that the Mexican government (police? military?) appear to be aiding and abetting the smugglers - he's seeing people in uniform! The MEXICAN GOVERNMENT does not have the United States' best interests in mind and corruption is pervasive.

It really is the wild west...

Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
A whole bunch of em.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:05 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,444,986 times
I've been a member of the MinuteMen Civil Defense Corp(MCDC) since 2001, just after 911.
California Chpt#8, Field ID#farn2403***.

Racism and vigilantism are all rumors and myths. I've been called to the Border many times for "Border watch" and to help with building the fence.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 10-31-2008 at 10:17 AM..

Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,444,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
No problem - no names, though .

Brief background: I've known him for several years. When he first told me he part of the Minuteman Project, I was a apprehensive. On one hand, he's my friend but on the other, as a minority myself, I wondered about his motive(s). As I try not to react without having all the facts, I essentially talked to him about it and, after putting it together with the person I knew, figured it was all right. He has NEVER said a thing to me that made me think, "This dude is a racist!" He's probably one of the most honest people I've ever met. I've been over to his house several times, met his family, etc. He's cool. No basement full of "Kill Mexicans" memorabilia . He's a little crazy sometimes, but aren't we all .

Anyway, from what I could gather from our numerous conversations, the Border Patrol are quite grateful they are there. The Minutemen are an extra set of eyes and ears. The MM do not actually approach illegals crossing the border - instead, they call it in and the BP apprehend them. The MM he 'works' with are regular guys. Some of them are veterans. They, and he, do not have any motive beyond securing our borders and stopping illegal immigration.

To some extent, he sympathizes with the illegal immigrant. He understands their reasons for coming here but is frustrated that they don't do it legally. Even more so, he is frustrated that OUR GOVERNMENT is turning a blind eye to this problem.

He's told me about very well armed drug smugglers and human traffickers who will approach the border from Mexico; if the MM happen to be patrolling near a 'popular' crossing, the smugglers will try to wait them out. Obviously, the MM, like the BP, can't be everywhere and it is like a cat and mouse game. They know he's there, call out to him, holler, wave, etc. Because of the rugged terrain, sometimes he'll hear them taunting him but he can't see where they are hiding. Under the cover of darkness, they'll make their way across. Sometimes he can see them because he has a spotlight. If he's call for the BP in time, they can apprehend them (or some of them).

He's told me about rock throwing exchanges - he figures if they throw a rock at him, he'll throw a rock at them . Regarding weapons, he initially only had a pistol. Now he has a rifle but he says compared to what the drug smugglers are packing he's way outgunned. The guns are purely defensive. He's not interested in firefights...

One thing that sticks out in my mind is his observation that the Mexican government (police? military?) appear to be aiding and abetting the smugglers - he's seeing people in uniform! The MEXICAN GOVERNMENT does not have the United States' best interests in mind and corruption is pervasive.

It really is the wild west...
Everything you were told is true. But there have been some changes........We are nolonger allowed to "Pack heat".(But the Illegals don't know that) Now we can only carry 2 way radios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration