Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 05:06 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,293 times

Advertisements

ATLANTA – Agents dealt a substantial blow to an extremely violent Mexican drug cartel with 175 arrests in the U.S. and Italy, Attorney General Michael Mukasey said Wednesday.
The Gulf cartel is responsible for importing tons of cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin and marijuana from Central and South America into the U.S. and then distributing it, Mukasey said.

The cartel is also believed to have laundered millions of dollars and has become a driving force behind escalating violence in Mexico and along the southwestern border of the U.S.
The arrests Tuesday and Wednesday were the result of a coordinated effort among hundreds of law enforcement officials. They were announced in Atlanta, identified as a regional hub for the cartel, where 43 people were arrested.

The Mexico-based cartel has high-level members in other regional hubs, such as Dallas, and is branching out into smaller cities such as Jackson, Miss., and Birmingham, Ala., said Drug Enforcement Administration agent William Matthews.

People were arrested in a dozen states as agents targeted the cartel's infrastructure, including transportation routes and distribution cells.

Through collaboration with Italian authorities, 10 people were also arrested in the Calabria region of Italy on charges related to drugs trafficked through New York.

“We're going after the top leadership on down to regional leaders,” Matthews said. “By doing this we're trying to break their spine.”

The arrests announced Wednesday were part of a 15-month investigation that has resulted in 507 arrests and the seizure of about $60.1 million, 16,711 kilograms of cocaine, 1,039 pounds of methamphetamine, 19 pounds of heroin, 51,258 pounds of marijuana, 176 vehicles and 167 weapons.

Officials said indictments were unsealed Wednesday morning in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., for three alleged leaders of the cartel: Ezequiel Cardenas-Guillen, Heriberto Lazcano-Lazcano and Jorge Eduardo Costilla-Sanchez. All three are believed to be in Mexico and are considered priority targets by American authorities, who are working with their Mexican counterparts to catch them.

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Nation -- 175 alleged drug cartel members arrested

Any day now we will officially become Amexico . . .wow just wow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 07:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Why don't they just control our border and cut these traffickers off their big profits?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:23 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,111 times
Default Just Think

Our iilustrious attorney general.... he must be proud.
If you stop and think about it, what was recovered was just one shipment, wasn't it? think of the many, many, many more they must have missed.
This bust probably isn't even a chip of the tip of the iceberg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
ATLANTA – Agents dealt a substantial blow to an extremely violent Mexican drug cartel with 175 arrests in the U.S. and Italy, Attorney General Michael Mukasey said Wednesday.
The Gulf cartel is responsible for importing tons of cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin and marijuana from Central and South America into the U.S. and then distributing it, Mukasey said.

The cartel is also believed to have laundered millions of dollars and has become a driving force behind escalating violence in Mexico and along the southwestern border of the U.S.
The arrests Tuesday and Wednesday were the result of a coordinated effort among hundreds of law enforcement officials. They were announced in Atlanta, identified as a regional hub for the cartel, where 43 people were arrested.

The Mexico-based cartel has high-level members in other regional hubs, such as Dallas, and is branching out into smaller cities such as Jackson, Miss., and Birmingham, Ala., said Drug Enforcement Administration agent William Matthews.

People were arrested in a dozen states as agents targeted the cartel's infrastructure, including transportation routes and distribution cells.

Through collaboration with Italian authorities, 10 people were also arrested in the Calabria region of Italy on charges related to drugs trafficked through New York.

“We're going after the top leadership on down to regional leaders,” Matthews said. “By doing this we're trying to break their spine.”

The arrests announced Wednesday were part of a 15-month investigation that has resulted in 507 arrests and the seizure of about $60.1 million, 16,711 kilograms of cocaine, 1,039 pounds of methamphetamine, 19 pounds of heroin, 51,258 pounds of marijuana, 176 vehicles and 167 weapons.

Officials said indictments were unsealed Wednesday morning in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., for three alleged leaders of the cartel: Ezequiel Cardenas-Guillen, Heriberto Lazcano-Lazcano and Jorge Eduardo Costilla-Sanchez. All three are believed to be in Mexico and are considered priority targets by American authorities, who are working with their Mexican counterparts to catch them.

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Nation -- 175 alleged drug cartel members arrested

Any day now we will officially become Amexico . . .wow just wow

Old 09-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why don't they just control our border and cut these traffickers off their big profits?
Honestly, I believe that there are people in high places in this country that are profiting from the proceeds.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Our iilustrious attorney general.... he must be proud.
If you stop and think about it, what was recovered was just one shipment, wasn't it? think of the many, many, many more they must have missed.
This bust probably isn't even a chip of the tip of the iceberg.

Agreed. But we all know how importance appearances are don't we?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 AM

Default Any Bust Looks Good

Appearances are very important, take for instance, george's landing on a aircraft carrier, and claiming "Mission Accomplished", frankly, I'm still wondering what the he** he was referring to? what mission?
I don't know where you live, but, in between Truth or Consequences and Las Cruces New Mexico, there is a Border Patrol Checkpoint only on the nothbound side of I-25. There's a sign there that states they recovered some 17K pounds of drugs. that's good. but, this is truly small time. The war on drugs is as elusive as the war on terrorism, I think. Drug interdiction and rounding up the terrorists must be like swatting flies, sometimes you'll get one or two if you swat enough. if our borders were not so easy to cross, we would have no need for a border patrol checkpoint in the middle of nowhere. and, frankly speaking, it irks me to be asked if I'm an American Citizen everytime I shop Las Cruces. Once, I was asked where I went, where I was, where I was going, you know, police officers used to ask ordinary citizens these same types of questions before the laws were changed. I wished I had alot of time and money, I would mess with these idiots at the checkpoints by not answering their profiling questions properly. I wonder how many illegals they arrested at this checkpoint? a few, some, none? I think it's a waste of time and money, and not applied properly. If they man the borders properly, there wouldn't be a need for a checkpoint in the middle of nowhere. how many illegals know about this particular checkpoint? all?
Quote:
Agreed. But we all know how importance appearances are don't we?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Appearances are very important, take for instance, george's landing on a aircraft carrier, and claiming "Mission Accomplished", frankly, I'm still wondering what the he** he was referring to? what mission?
I don't know where you live, but, in between Truth or Consequences and Las Cruces New Mexico, there is a Border Patrol Checkpoint only on the nothbound side of I-25. There's a sign there that states they recovered some 17K pounds of drugs. that's good. but, this is truly small time. The war on drugs is as elusive as the war on terrorism, I think. Drug interdiction and rounding up the terrorists must be like swatting flies, sometimes you'll get one or two if you swat enough. if our borders were not so easy to cross, we would have no need for a border patrol checkpoint in the middle of nowhere. and, frankly speaking, it irks me to be asked if I'm an American Citizen everytime I shop Las Cruces. Once, I was asked where I went, where I was, where I was going, you know, police officers used to ask ordinary citizens these same types of questions before the laws were changed. I wished I had alot of time and money, I would mess with these idiots at the checkpoints by not answering their profiling questions properly. I wonder how many illegals they arrested at this checkpoint? a few, some, none? I think it's a waste of time and money, and not applied properly. If they man the borders properly, there wouldn't be a need for a checkpoint in the middle of nowhere. how many illegals know about this particular checkpoint? all?
Nothing to add except rep points coming your way . . GREAT POST!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:49 AM

Exclamation Thank You!!!

Nuff Said! yeah, why don't they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Old 09-18-2008, 08:52 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,676 times
Quote:
Honestly, I believe that there are people in high places in this country that are profiting from the proceeds.

I agree as easy enough to deposit money for politician's , DA's,etc in over sea's safe deposit box .

Old 09-18-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
I agree as easy enough to deposit money for politician's , DA's,etc in over sea's safe deposit box .
Anybody who doesn't believe the majority of our "representatives" have offshore bank accounts and a treasure trove full of ill gotten gains stashed in various countries is either self medicating or deaf, dumb and blind.

The younger voters are the generation of voters who aren't concerned about the issues. Many of them are relying on their parents to cushion them for the rest of their lives. That is the only way that I can explain why they are voting for Obama, America's next IDOL. Those voting for McCain are too old and set in their ways or simply racist and refusing to vote for anybody black. Even if it were a candidate of color who could short circuit America's demise.

The rest of us (whose races vary) actually care about America and are voting for a 3rd party candidate in protest of the 2 MSM selected candidates, both of whom are OBL's.

Of course we know why the IA's and their huggers are voting for Obama.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 09-18-2008 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration